Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Pray for unction in the Pulpit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

Pray for unction in the Pulpit

Pray For Unction In The Pulpit
By Leonard Ravenhill

It requires neither top bracket intelligence nor yet super-spirituality to curse the darkness. It does require God-fashioned, God-filled and God-fired men to bring revival! We need some lion-hearted, wise-as-a-serpent prophets, Spirit-unctionized, Spirit-actioned, Spirit-directed and Spirit-operated men for the dying moments of this dispensation.

The church is living on borrowed capital. She has to get out the family album to show us Wesley and Huss, covenanters and confessors to help us whistle to keep up our courage. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

If the Bible said pay without ceasing we would be very near revival. The church is swept at this moment with a dollar fever, but the fingers of finance are impotent to relieve the impasse we are in. There IS a way out, only one, a well-tried one, a never failing one; it is the way of prayer!

The offense of prayer is that it does not essentially tie in to mental efficiency. That is not to say that prayer is a partner to mental sloth. But in these days – or should it be daze? – efficiency and smartness are at a premium. Prayer pertains to one thing alone, and that is to spirituality.

One does not need to be spiritual to preach, that is, to make and deliver sermons of homiletical perfection and exegetical exactitude. By a combination of memory, knowledge, ambition, personality, plus well-lined book shelves, self-confidence and a sense of having arrived, brother, the pulpit is yours almost anywhere now.

Preaching, of this type, affects men. Prayer affects God. Preaching affects time, prayer affects eternity. The pulpit can be a shop window to display our talents. The prayer closet speaks death to display.

The tragedy of this later hour is that we have too many dead men in the pulpits giving out too many dead sermons to too many dead people.

Preacher Brother! In All Thy Getting – Get Unction!

There is a strange thing I have observed even in fundamental circles. It is preaching without unction. Preaching without unction kills, instead of giving life. The word does not burn unless unction is upon the preacher.

Preaching is a spiritual business. A sermon born in the head reaches the head. A sermon born in the heart reaches the heart. A spiritual preacher will under God produce spiritually-minded people. Unction is not a gentle dove beating her wings outside the bars of the preacher’s soul; rather, divine unction must be pursued and won.

Unction Is God’s Knighthood for His Soldier-Preacher

Unction cannot be learned, only earned by prayer. Unction is God’s knighthood for the soldier-preacher who has wrestled in prayer and gained the victory. Victory is not won in the pulpit by firing intellectual bullets or wisecracks but in the prayer closet. The meeting is won or lost before the preacher’s foot enters the pulpit.

Unction comes not by a bishop’s ordination, neither does it mildew when the preacher is cast into prison. Unction will pierce and percolate, it will sweeten and soften. When the hammer of logic and the fire of human zeal fail to open the stony heart, unction will succeed.

Without unctionized preachers church altars will never see anxious penitents. Supposing that we saw fishing boats with the latest in radar equipment and fishing gear launched month after month and then put out to sea only to return without a catch, what excuse would we take for this barrenness?

Yet thousands of churches see empty altars week after week and year after year and cover this sterile situation by misapplying the Scripture "My Word...shall not return unto Me void" (Isa. 55:11).

The ugly fact is that the altar fires are either out, or burning very low. The prayer meeting is dead or dying. By our attitude to prayer we tell God that what was begun in the Spirit we can finish in the flesh. What church ever asks its candidating ministers what time they spend in prayer? Ministers who do not spend significant time each day in prayer are not worth a dime a dozen, degrees or no degrees.

Who now "earnestly contends for the faith once delivered to the saints"? (Jude v. 3). Where is there unction in the pulpit? Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men. Preachers used to sow seed. Now they string intellectual pearls. Imagine a field sown with pearls!

Born in a Tomb Instead of a Womb

Away with this palsied, puerile, powerless preaching which is unmoving because it was born in a tomb instead of a womb, and nourished in a fireless, prayerless soul. We may preach and perish, but we cannot pray and perish. If God called us to the ministry, dear brethren, then I contend that we should be unctionized. With all thy getting, get unction, lest barren altars be the badge of our unctionless intellectualism.

The old masters of the pulpit got their texts on their knees, soaked them with their tears, groaned over them with a travailing spirit, warmed them with strivings in prayer – then delivered the message as a living thing, warm from God’s heart, burning in the preacher’s heart to make warm the heart of the listeners. There is no substitute for prayer. We cannot tell this highbrow generation with science-soaked intellects what our God can do. We must demonstrate the Gospel!

A praying church is a womb; a prayerless church is a tomb. A prayerless pastor is a successful failure. Revival is God’s will. The churches’ greatest need and the world’s only hope, apart from the return of our Lord is revival.

Revival can neither be taught nor bought. The Bible reveals the method. The church supplies the men. Holy Ghost intercession supplies the channel through which it comes. The delay in revival is not from God’s side. "He is able," but we are deficient, the Spirit is limited in us – "according to the power that worketh in us" (Eph. 3:20). Unless the power is in, it cannot work out. "Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?" (Acts 19:2).

2019/4/26 13:26Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Pray for unction in the Pulpit

Amen! Unction only comes through prayer!

“Earnestness is good and impressive. Genius is gifted and great. Thought kindles and inspires, but it takes a diviner endowment, a more powerful energy then earnestness or genius or thought - to BREAK the chains of sin, to WIN estranged and depraved hearts to God to repair the breaches, and restore the Church to her old ways of purity and POWER! Nothing but this holy unction can do this. Unction is the anointing of the Holy Ghost, separating unto God's work and qualifying for it. Without this unction there are no true spiritual results accomplished.” (E. M. Bounds)

2019/4/26 20:05Profile

Re: Pray for unction in the Pulpit

Multiplied grace, mercy, truth and the active fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with all who truly have ears to hear that which the Spirit says to the actual body of Christ in our day. Thank you for posting this message, Frannie, which hits on some relevant and important points about the need for true spirituality - born of honest prayer - among not only those who preach, teach and lead the saints of the Living God; but, all who call upon the Lord with pure hearts!

By the mercies of God and His enlightenment, born of cross-bearing discipline and a walk completely dependent upon His Spirit, allow me to humbly, yet boldly and confidently contend we must step back and stop presuming God's true leaders, preachers and teachers are simply or surely to be found among the myriad of those commonly titled or recognized as such. It is not enough for a person to be eager and willing, well learned, articulate, entertaining, "ordained," self-proclaimed, popular, well-followed, best-selling or in any way validated or instituted by the organization and acceptance of men. (In fact, those types of qualifications almost surely, in most cases, either hinder true spirituality or point out a significant or complete lack of it.)

Being willing to wait upon our God in humble, patient, attentive prayer, ready to heed and obey Him - whether we like or completely understand that which we may hear from Him - let us trust His ability and wisdom to raise up His chosen servant-leaders In our midst. We must pray and wait for proper, accurate discernment, testing the spirits, observing the fruits and spiritual power of those who are purported to be in authority (Matthew 7:15-23; 1 Corinthians 12:10; prayerfully meditate on the depth of meaning in 1 John 4; 1 Corinthians 4:18-20 NASB).

Let us trust God still wants to show the true members of Christ's body the spiritually healthy, functional realities possible, as described in passages such as Ephesians 4:1-16, 1 Corinthians 12, 13 and 14 NASB, as we allow Him to appoint men, distribute His spiritual gifts and teach us to use them in loving service of one another. This will include preachers, teachers, prophets and other leaders who must be led by and maintain minds set on His Spirit, connected to the mind of Christ and grounded in prayerful abiding and waiting upon God for wisdom and direction.

Even ahead of all of this, let us be certain to confirm our own individual callings and choosing by God Himself. (2 Peter 1:10; Romans 8:5-17 NASB) Furthermore, let us submit to Him as cross-bearing, self-emptying disciples (Luke 9:23-24), learning to abide in the True Vine and bear ripe fruit of His Spirit, proving our love through obedience to all of His commands and believing the truth of Jesus' stern warning "apart from me you can do NOTHING!" (John 15:1-11 NASB)

I pray God would connect those who are like-minded, not willing to settle for remaining limited by the current climate on the religious landscape. Heavenly Father, bind together your living stones into a truly holy people, taught and led by spiritually qualified saints who prayerfully abide in Christ and His Spirit. Amen and amen!

2019/5/19 11:18
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

AMEN. Onebodyspirit,,

Being willing to wait upon our God in humble, patient,
attentive prayer, ready to heed and obey Him - whether we like or completely understand that which we may hear from Him - let us trust His ability and wisdom to raise up His chosen servant-leaders In our midst. We must pray and wait for proper, accurate discernment, testing the spirits, observing the fruits and spiritual power of those who are purported to be in authority (Matthew 7:15-23; 1 Corinthians 12:10; prayerfully meditate on the depth of meaning in 1 John 4; 1 Corinthians 4:18-20 NASB).

My thoughts and prayer................

If we study the word and spend time in HIS presence, and humbly wait for HIS instructions. We must walk by faith and obey HIM..
We will move in the anointing He has given us. not someone elses.. David moved in HIS anointing not Saul's.

.Only the Anointing and assignments He has given us will break the yokes in the assignments He gives us I believe.....
.Isa 27:10. It shall come to pass in that day That his burden will be taken away from your shoulder, And his yoke from your neck, And the yoke will be destroyed because of the anointing oil.

1 John 2:27 - But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1 John 2:20 - But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Luke 4:18 - The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

James 5:14 - Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

Luke 7:46 - My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

Mark 6:13 - And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed [them].

Leviticus 8:12 - And he poured of the anointing oil upon Aaron's head, and anointed him, to sanctify him.

Leviticus 8:10 - And Moses took the anointing oil, and anointed the tabernacle and all that [was] therein, and sanctified them.

Isaiah 61:1 - The Spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound;

Exodus 40:9 - And thou shalt take the anointing oil, and anoint the tabernacle, and all that [is] therein, and shalt hallow it, and all the vessels thereof: and it shall be holy.

Genesis 28:18 - And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put [for] his pillows, and set it up [for] a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.

2 Corinthians 1:21 - Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, [is] God;

I recently did a study on the sons of Issachar .
They understood the times and knew when to leave Saul's camp and go to David's.. May the Issachar anointing fall upon us all so we know when to move and can move in obedience and power and most importantly in understanding in JESUS name.
I chron 12:32 And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.
In Christ
Sister
Frannie

2019/5/20 15:20Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

Amen Brother Mike,
Unction is the anointing of the Holy Ghost, separating unto God's work and qualifying for it. Without this unction there are no true spiritual results accomplished.” (E. M. Bounds)

Without the anointing there is no message or power.. Every GOD given assignment that GOD sends us to is under the anointing because HE ORDERED IT THEREFORE ANOINTED IT AND THE YOKES WILL BE BROKEN BECAUSE OF HIS PRESENCE AND HIS ANOINTING.. WE ARE just honored to be able to carry His carriage..
in Christ
Sister Frannie

2019/5/20 15:24Profile

Re:

Frannie, may the God of all wisdom and insight ever enlighten our hearts, keeping us attentively focused on His guidance. May we trust His guidance, never settling for anything less than the narrow and righteous path He lays out and requires we follow, which leads to eternal life with Him.

Your references from 1 John 2 and 2 Corinthians are very relevant and good reminders of the way we may trust our Lord to establish, teach and maintain us - as we ABIDE and OBEY in His Spirit. I am further reminded of the concentrated, foundational exhortations and encouragements conveyed in Proverbs 2:2-15, Proverbs 3:5-6, Proverbs 9:10 and John 16:5-16 NASB. Thankfully, although the same reverent, humble, teachable heart attitude needed is the same as it was for those under the old covenant, as expressed by Solomon in the aforementioned Proverbs (as well as with your old covenant references), we are blessed to live under the new, better covenant, having new hearts born of the Spirit coming to dwell and rule within our beings - hallelujah! (see Hebrews 8:10-11 NASB as well, here)

Through my years of abiding in Christ's Spirit - setting my mind upon it, praying in it at all times - the Lord has truly guided, taught, corrected, disciplined and grown me in faith, hope and love. Also, He has clearly led me away from false teaching and lifeless congregating, revealing and clarifying more about His view of the way the Church should be led and function. If all who have ears to hear would simply remain attentive, steadfast and not question or compromise His guidance and discipline, we would experience a healthier functioning, upbuilding body of Christ among those who worship in Spirit and in truth.

Thank you for the reference to the sons of Issachar, with whom I was not familiar. I am intending to read more about that situation. Certainly, their story is an example the need for God's people to seek proper discernment in all things, at all times and act by faith in accordance. Paul's commendation and exhortation in 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 NASB seems another example of the importance of this. Take note, too, of the way Paul further reminds us to respect and appreciate those who oversee and teach, in 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13, 16-22 NASB. Again, as I was trying to emphasize in my previous reply in this thread, the key is making certain those people are raised up by Christ Himself.

My hope and prayer is to see the one, true Church body emerge in a more singular, distinctive fashion as described in Ephesians 4:4-16 NASB. May the unity of the Holy Spirit be realized among the saints, as an active reality, rather than remaining something people merely claim to seek and await while debating and differing over words, opinions and the traditions of men.

Grace, mercy, peace and the purity of God's truth be multiplied with you and all who call on our Savior with pure hearts - amen and amen.

2019/5/21 10:27
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

Brother Kurt
Amen and Amen..
May the one true church arise.. I do believe GOD is preparing a remnant.. Those who will not compromise and walk in boldness and faith in HIS power.. We are nothing without HIS Shed Blood and His Grace..
May His spirit of Grace fall upon us and His ischaarchar anointing be upon us as we minister and move in His understanding and move in His LOVE, power, wisdom and might in JESUS name.

In Christ
sister Frannie

2019/5/27 16:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy