SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Riches of the Bible.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

The Riches of the Bible.

April 9th
The Riches of the Bible
How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:103-105

William Guthrie (1620-1665), eminent clergyman of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland, was one who had great ability to draw upon the riches of God's Word, and in this passage he turns our thoughts to the same.

Wondrous book! It humbles the lofty and exalts the lowliest; it condemns the best and yet saves the worst. It engages the study of angels and is not above the understanding of a little child. It heals by wounding and kills to make alive. It is an armory of heavenly weapons, a laboratory of infallible medicines, a mine of exhaustless wealth. Teaching kings how to reign, and subjects how to obey; masters how to rule, and domestics how to serve; pastors how to preach, and people how to hear; teachers how to instruct, and pupils how to learn; husbands how to love their wives, and wives how to obey their husbands. Divinely adapted to our circumstances, whatever these may be, we can say of this book as David said of the giant's sword, "Give me that, there is none like it." Rob us of the Bible, and our sky has lost its sun; and even in the best of other books we have nothing but the glimmer of twinkling stars.
How such a divinely inspired work could merely sit decoratively on a mantel, collecting dust, is beyond my understanding. Many American homes contain a Holy Bible, yet it is unfortunate that many Americans do not realize the value of what they have. As Leonard Ravenhill once said to me, I now say to you of the Bible: "Don't just go through this book, but instead, let this book go through you."

Steve Hill

Leviticus 13; Psalms 15-16;
Proverbs 27; 2 Thessalonians 1

2019/4/9 19:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy