SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Trust God to Open the Right Door for You by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Trust God to Open the Right Door for You by Zac Poonen

In Revelation 3 we read that the church in Philadelphia was a faithful church. The elder was faithful, and so the church was faithful. The Lord told them, “I have put before you an open door which nobody can shut” (Rev. 3:8).

When the Lord opens a door for us nobody can shut it. He says, “I have the keys. I open and no man can shut” (Rev. 3:7). We don’t have to go banging away at any door. Our Lord opens the right ones for us, without our even touching them. They are like the automatic doors that we have seen in some airports that open as soon as you come near them. Are you looking for a door of ministry for yourself? Are you trying to open such a door for yourself or looking to some influential man to open that door for you? Are you coveting the ministry that someone else has? That is evil.

Be faithful to God in the little things and He will open the right doors of ministry for you at the right time. Then you won’t waste your time or your life, going through many wrong doors. Trust in God and let Him alone open the doors for you – and He will lead you step by step to the places that He has planned for you.

I remember once when I was travelling to a certain country the Lord said to me, “You are not to write to anyone you know in that country that you are going there. Just go.” I went there and had no ministry anywhere – and I came back. The Lord tested me to see if I would obey Him. The next time I went to that country, the Lord opened so many doors to people I did not even know. Those were the places that the Lord wanted me to go to. I saw then that God in His sovereignty opens the right doors. If I had tried to open doors by myself earlier, to create some ministry for myself, I would have missed the will of God completely. So don’t ever push yourself forward anywhere. Wait on God and let Him open the right doors for you. Like the ones in Philadelphia, you may have just a little strength. But if you keep God’s Word and do not deny His Name, the Lord will make even your enemies recognise that He has loved you (Rev. 3:8, 9).

Then the Lord told this church, “I am coming quickly. Hold fast what you have so that nobody takes your crown” (Rev. 3:11). When the Lord gives us a ministry, we must be faithful in fulfilling it. Otherwise He will give that ministry to someone else and then that person will get the crown that was meant for you! He will get his crown and yours as well. So be faithful. The Lord will make those who overcome “pillars in His church” (Rev. 3:12). Pillars are what hold up a building. When Samson pushed down two pillars, the whole building collapsed. Sometimes there are only two elders who hold up a whole church. When they die, the church dies as well. God wants many pillars in His churches. You can be a pillar, if you seek to overcome sin in your private life and in your thoughts.

2019/3/29 16:24Profile
CalvaryCom

Re: Trust God to Open the Right Door for You by Zac Poonen

I love Zac Poonen, but when the Lord says, "Hold fast what you have so that nobody takes your crown," in Revelation 3:11 He's not talking about a ministry position or an additional heavenly reward, but about your salvation.

2019/3/29 16:32Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I love Zac Poonen, but when the Lord says, "Hold fast what you have so that nobody takes your crown," in Revelation 3:11 He's not talking about a ministry position or an additional heavenly reward, but about your salvation.

I am not trying to challenge you nor Defend this article. Here Crown is connected to what the Lord wanted the Church to hold. Crowns are not given for holding to our salvation.

Rewards are based on our work.

Rev 22: 12- “Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done."

2 Tim 4:7 - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8From now on the crown of righteousness is laid up for me, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day—

I always thought that reward of crown was assured to Paul because he finished the race of his ministry.

2019/3/29 17:21Profile
CalvaryCom

Re:

Hi, Sree,

Thanks for writing!

Here's how Strong's Concordance defines the New Testament Greek word for "crown:"

στέφανος stéphanos, stef'-an-os; from an apparently primary στέφω stéphō (to twine or wreathe); a chaplet (as a badge of royalty, a prize in the public games or a symbol of honor generally; but more conspicuous and elaborate than the simple fillet, G1238), literally or figuratively:—crown.

When reading the use of the word crown in the N.T. epistles, such as in 1 Corinthians 9:25, 2 Timothy 4:8, James 1:12, & 1 Peter 5:4 I see it as a reward in direct correlation to our salvation, of finishing the race.

2019/3/29 17:37Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

When reading the use of the word crown in the N.T. epistles, such as in 1 Corinthians 9:25, 2 Timothy 4:8, James 1:12, & 1 Peter 5:4 I see it as a reward in direct correlation to our salvation, of finishing the race.

I agree that crown is given for finishing the race. Now the difference between your interpretation and mine is what we consider as finishing the race. If finishing the race is salvation then Paul has completed his salvation when he said to Timothy that he has finished the race! Our salvation completes means we have become like Jesus. So did Paul actually say he became Christ like when he finished the race? We are all commanded to run the race looking at Jesus who is the finisher (Hebrews 12:1).

So my interpretation is, finishing the race is not associated with salvation but finishing our calling. Paul was called to take the Gospel to Gentiles. He says that he has fulfilled the calling.

2019/3/29 18:26Profile
CalvaryCom

Re:

I think that finishing the race is synonymous with salvation and our calling, Sree. We are the ekklesia (church), the called out ones.

2019/3/29 18:37Profile
Grizzly2

Mid West

Re: The Missionary Church

If you believe that this letter is to the "Missionary Church" at Philadelphia, you will see how this sermon is correct. We must learn to be overcommers in this life, so that no man, religion or spirit will sway us from our faith in Christ and Him Crucified and thus, the leading and promptings of the Holy Spirit.

As shown in this sermon, if you are dead to self, so that self remains crucified with Christ so that our sin nature remains dormant as Paul teaches in Romans 6, we will be receptive, as a bride, to the leading of the Holy Spirit as He opens or closes doors before us. We will thus have a heart and eyes to see this clearly and without question. This is the life of one who is learning to overcome the leading and control of the world, the flesh and the devil. "To those who overcome", as I Jesus has overcome, is repeated in these letters to the Churches.

2019/4/4 13:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

In one of Ravenhill’s sermons he warned against not doing a job God wants you to do because in eternity you will see another person with the crown you should have had.

I know it’s a rhetorical device he used but perhaps that will be part of what takes place at the Judgment Seat- seeing rewards that should have been yours in the possession of someone else.

2019/4/4 14:39Profile
Grizzly2

Mid West

Re:

TMK, He has shown me in this life the results of not following the leading and promptings of the Holy Spirit - to obey and to do the will of God.

In a supermarket, I felt the leading of the Spirit to turn down the liquor isle. I paused questioning why to go down that isle, but obeyed. Ahead I saw a young man who looked like a young Mohamed Ali kneeling down with 2 bottles of gin or vodka, trying to decide which to buy. I felt in my spirit to go to him and tell him of God's love for him and how He will help him overcome. Having been born white and in Brooklyn NY where you don't even make eye contact with strangers - and not having been trained to witness, but had many times when I saw an open door -- this was different. This was like Joshua and his men going against giants.

I knew I should and must but could not step out in faith, trusting in God's power and grace. I checked out, went to the car and then turned back to do as I was instructed. As I entered the store again, I could see this man crossing in front of me on the other side of the check out counters. He was not looking at me, but above him, I sensed an awful, possessive, mean, presence glaring at me and in my spirit I could understand it saying he is mine still, you failed.

I can only think that the Lord allowed me to see the results of my failure to obey and follow His leading. My first encounter with a demon and I never want to see another while on the wrong side of obedience to Christ, my Lord.

2019/4/4 15:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

That is a sobering story. Thanks for sharing it.

2019/4/4 18:56Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy