Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : That thou mayest prosper

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Atlanta, Georgia

That thou mayest prosper

What does this verse mean?

3 John 2: (KJV) "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth."

Since the "prosperity Gospel" has come up in a few threads. I have been wrestling alot with the issue of "the American Dream" and how prosperity and success is so prevalent in our society and church. I had to step away from following the Idolatry of growing an Amazon business because it was hindering my relationship with the Lord.

Some people take this verse as God wants to "bless us" with health and wealth, but how much is enough to classify "wealthy" and sin? Some pastors that are not a part of the WOF make alot of money by the worlds standard.

2019/3/27 14:28Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: That thou mayest prosper

That is the verse on bottles of Braggs apple cider vinegar (good stuff).

I am afraid there is no good answer to your question. There is nothing in scripture that’s says if you make 20,000 per year you are golden and if you make over 250,000 you are a rotten sinner.

God does not look on the outward appearance, but rather the heart. I would extrapolate to say that God does not look on one’s wallet, but their heart. A poor person can be the greediest sniveling idolater possible and rich person could be 100% right with God. The NT standard is stewardship and we are called to be stewards of the Master’s goods regardless of income.

I once had a discussion on a forum with an atheist who was trying to argue that if a Christian lived in anything other than a grass shack and didn’t give away 90% of their income and goods to the poor then they were living below the NT standard. Of course that is a bunch of baloney.

2019/3/27 15:24Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

The context of 3 John is John's pleasure in Gaius, he speaks of Gaius Charity and faith toward the brethren and strangers.

In keeping with the context the blessing spoken to Gaius is expressing exactly what it sounds like...God's blessing of prosperity in his life with good health just like his soul is prospering.

We know Gaius soul is prospering by the good reports given to John of Gaius's walk in the Lord, John takes joy in his 'walking in the truth' and all the rest who do the same.

Every scripture text has been misused in some way or another, but do not let it's misuse steer you away from it's plain meaning...that John wished for Gaius prosperity and good health and that he bring others forward in the faith...and in so doing he will be doing well.

This is an apostle's desire for a close brother whom he desired to see face to face...and should it not be our desire as well to see each other prosper and be in health even as their souls prosper? Notice John's emphasis, it was on the soul's prosperity; namely, walking in the truth, charity, faith, hospitality, exhorting Gaius to steer himself and others away from evil people and evil deeds.

2019/3/27 16:31Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I'll bet a prosperity preacher will never quote this:

"But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." James 6:9,10

2019/3/27 19:05Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Or this:

"Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?" James 2:5

2019/3/27 19:07Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

QUOTE:
"Some pastors that are not a part of the WOF make alot of money by the worlds standard."

Too many people in leadership have made it a business instead of serving the LORD by being a servant to others.

Sandra

2019/3/27 19:23Profile
persist

2 Cor 9:6-12

6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully[a] will also reap bountifully. 7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency[b] in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. 9 As it is written,

“He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever.”

10 He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. 12 For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.

It's God's revealed will in scripture to prosper us in many ways. In matters of finance, when a christian learns to give, they are actually investing and the Lord both prospers him financially and spiritually all for the benefit of the Kingdom of God.

This is the best sermon I have heard on the subject so far.

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/47-64/the-path-to-prosperity-part-1

2019/3/28 0:14Profile
dougr777

Atlanta, Georgia

Re:

Thanks for sharing, this was an excellent sermon I listened to this morning. I really liked the part about how God loves a cheerful giver.

2019/3/28 6:32Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"You may say in your heart, “The power and the strength of my hand has made this wealth for me.” But remember that it is the LORD your God who gives you the power to gain wealth, in order to confirm His covenant that He swore to your fathers, as it is this day." (Deuteronomy 8:18,19)

"Do not trust in oppression And do not vainly hope in robbery; If riches increase, do not set your heart upon them." (Psalm 62:10)

The purpose of God blessing His children is so that their needs would be met, and they would have abundance to give to others and the work of God so that the Kingdom of God would be advanced.

The false prosperity gospel seeks blessing and prosperity for selfish reasons, out of wrong motives, and prosperity becomes the main objective, as an end in itsel. The heart is set on acquiring more things, instead of seeking first the Kingdom of God.

Poverty is not a blessing from God but a curse:

Blessings for Obedience

Deuteronomy 28:1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God: 3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. 4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks. 5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed. 6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out. 7 The LORD will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven. 8 The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you. 9 The LORD will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the LORD your God and walk in obedience to him. 10 Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will fear you. 11 The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you. 12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. 13 The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. 14 Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.

Curses for Disobedience
15 However, if you do not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come on you and overtake you: 16 You will be cursed in the city and cursed in the country. 17 Your basket and your kneading trough will be cursed. 18 The fruit of your womb will be cursed, and the crops of your land, and the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks. 19 You will be cursed when you come in and cursed when you go out. 20 The LORD will send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him. 21 The LORD will plague you with diseases until he has destroyed you from the land you are entering to possess. 22 The LORD will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation, with scorching heat and drought, with blight and mildew, which will plague you until you perish. 23 The sky over your head will be bronze, the ground beneath you iron. 24

2019/3/28 10:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy