SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Joyce Meyer - I was wrong

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

Joyce Meyer - I was wrong

From the most recent April 2019 issue of Charisma Magazine.

Joyce Meyer Says She Let Prosperity Gospel Teaching Get 'Out of Balance'

Bible teacher Joyce Meyer renounced prosperity teachings during a sermon on the book of Galatians. Meyer said her ideas of biblical prosperity had grown "out of balance" with Scripture.

"[In] the Word and Faith movement back in the '60s and '70s, [there was] lot of teaching in that about prosperity," Meyer said. "I thank God for it. God touched my life back then in a powerful way because I knew I was saved by grace, but I didn't know anything about using my faith for anything but salvation....I'm glad for what I learned about prosperity, but it got out of balance. So every time somebody had a problem in their life, it was because they didn't have enough faith. If you got sick, you didn't have enough faith. If your child died, you didn't have enough faith.. Well, that's not right."

Instead, Meyer said that the Bible promises we will experience trouble - regardless of how much faith an individual has - and believers cannot simply believe their way to success.

There's nowhere in the Bible where we're promised that we'll never have any trouble," Meyer said. "I don't care how much faith you've got. You're not going to avoid ever having trouble in your life."

2019/3/25 11:53Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Joyce Meyer - I was wrong

Good!

2019/3/25 14:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

That is great any way people of this nature are seeing the imbalance and error they have been teaching,. it is a step in the right direction. Let us keep praying for her and others of the same teachings.

2019/3/25 14:29Profile
Sree

Re: Joyce Meyer - I was wrong

Every preacher is has some degree of imbalance. For example I hear Bro Zac a lot but he himself agrees that he is imbalance. He gives more importance to discipleship which is not preached in Christianity today but he rarely preaches on evangelism which is also a part of great commission.

So the problem with Joyce Meyer is not imbalance, it is erroneous teaching. Teaching self confidence instead of putting our trust in God. So she is only agreeing the imbalance in her teaching here but not the errors in her teaching. Which is still a good start but it has to start with her life style change rather than changing her teaching.

2019/3/25 23:28Profile
docs

Re:

I may not understand you correctly. But whatever Joyce Meyer taught or teaches I can't see it as being self confidence and not confidence in God. Faith in God and His word was the emphasis in the stream of teaching she was involved in.

2019/3/26 9:14Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Not unless she sells her private jet I don't take her seriously and delete all her previous books
Considering through the prosperity gospel is where most of her money came from

2019/3/27 6:30Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Linus Van Pelt: “Charlie Brown, you're the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem.”

Dom, you’re the only person I know who can turn a wonderful thing like a very public well known figure admitting she was wrong about a dangerous theological view - and in front of the whole world mind you- into a problem.

2019/3/27 8:57Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I've never seen anything good come out of the prosperity gospel. It teaches "gain is godliness" which is plainly warned against in scripture. It turns faith into merely saying the "right words" like they're a magical formula.

I recall some time ago I was having a coffee with a friend of mine who is heavily into the word of faith movement, specifically Kenneth Copeland. (I have warned him about being involved in this.) He is well respected and many people in his church look up to him. He told me that even though he has been following Jesus for decades he still does not know what God's will is for his life.

Another sister who is also into WOF has a son who was a hardcore drug addict for years (like I was). He has stopped doing some of the more harmful drugs (though he still smokes cigarettes and marijuana and takes methadone) and has settled down and has a family. He says he believes in God; I have no doubt he does, but he is not saved. His mother, though, is convinced he is on his way to heaven, and every time I try to question her on it she says "don't judge".

2019/3/27 10:48Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

And just so I don't stray too far from the topic of the OP, it's good Joyce Meyer has recanted some of her teachings, but possibly she should "sell all that she has and follow Jesus".

2019/3/27 10:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Perhaps the same can be said about John MacArthur. He ain’t starving to death.

2019/3/27 11:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy