Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Idolatry - The American Dream

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Atlanta, Georgia

Idolatry - The American Dream

God has been dealing with me on this issue in my life, Idolatry.

While I haven't been worshiping any statues in my back yard sacrificing any living creatures, I have been worshiping the Idolatry of the American Dream, money, gold and silver, business, career, image, and it has been a big distraction in my relationship with the Lord. I have had to lay down some things in my life, friends, business pursuits to seek the Lord for a season to get my heart right, and it's created void in my heart because it's been a place of worship, time, energy, and more. My question I'm pondering is "what next?" My idol is torn down, and I have returned to the Lord. What do I do now? I think to start is found in this scripture. Worship.

My last question is can you recommend any sermons on this topic of idolatry? I will see what is here. Blessings, Doug

Psalm 115:1-18 (KJV)
1 Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake.
2 Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is now their God?
3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.
4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
5 They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not:
6 They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not:
7 They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat.
8 They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them.
9 O Israel, trust thou in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.
10 O house of Aaron, trust in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.
11 Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.
12 The LORD hath been mindful of us: he will bless us; he will bless the house of Israel; he will bless the house of Aaron.
13 He will bless them that fear the LORD, both small and great.
14 The LORD shall increase you more and more, you and your children.
15 Ye are blessed of the LORD which made heaven and earth.
16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD'S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.
17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.
18 But we will bless the LORD from this time forth and for evermore. Praise the LORD.

2019/3/20 17:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Idolatry - The American Dream

//I have been worshiping the Idolatry of the American Dream, money, gold and silver, business, career, image,//

Just for clarity what do you mean when you say “worshiping” in this context?

Most people have to work to support their families,etc so presumably you must mean something different.

2019/3/20 17:39Profile
dougr777

Atlanta, Georgia

Re:

Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

Personally I have been very focused in my own life in the pursuit of making money without having a godly reason for it. It's the LOVE of money that is the root of evil, not money itself, but for me it was the love of money which was an Idol.

I understand that if you don't work you don't eat it says in the Word, but how much is enough? Making just average income? six figures? Millionaire? more? Why not just settle for "average" comfortable income? what is average? $40k? $60k? $25k? What is money so it's not a form of worship? Just some thoughts to ponder.

2019/3/20 17:48Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Todd, Work is the means of serving. It’s the money, personal possessions, personal pride, power, status, comfort and security that are the idols. I think that is his question.

American Christianity generally has developed a theological notion of “work” and family “needs” that are not in line with Biblical definitions or God’s requirements. The reason for this is that God’s standards of need do not conform with our menu of wants. So, we do a nice slight of hand and redefine needs and covetousness thus justifying our service of mammon. That is a general statement which is frankly undeniable. We abominate the teaching of the prosperity gospel while at the same time pursuing prosperity as our supplier of all that we desire in this life.

Doug, I commend you for your concern. Wealth, more money than need, and worldly success are a snare. We should be far more sensitive and even alarmed by the spiritual threat.

2019/3/20 20:30Profile
Caleb4life

Minnesota

Re: Idolatry - The American Dream

Dear brother Doug,

I am so edified by your transparency, and rejoice at what is happening in your life these days! Surely it’s a direct answer to your own prayers, and God only knows how many other faithful saints who have interceded for this very thing!

I also appreciate your posing the question “what’s next?” in this forum, which I sense is from a genuine heart of humility and willingness to receive feedback from any who are inclined to share.

That said, I have a couple questions, if you don’t mind sharing. Or if you prefer emailing me instead, that’s fine too.

1. When you said that you have had to lay down friends and business pursuits, what does that mean specifically? Were you led to resign all work, or just cut back? Also, with regards to friends, what has “laying aside” meant?
2. What is your marital status, and children?

Blessings to you in Christ Jesus, dear Doug!!

Love,

2019/3/20 23:08Profile
Sree

Re:

This is a very good thread. I appreciate your stand for the lord against all idols.

Brother Zac says that love of money is like pealing the layers of onion. The more you peal the more you find! But our desire on this earth should be to peal as much as possible.

I was recently associated with a startup company. There was potential for me to make a little extra money that I needed during that time. But even after putting my effort, the company did not pay me, nor discussed how much to pay. But Lord was teaching me not to put my trust on this startup company to meet my need but to put my trust in the Lord. I said, 'Lord I will not ask for the money I need to be paid and trust that you will provide it'. So finally after 3 or 4 months, the company started paying me. Now my needs are met but the lesson I learnt is still fresh in me. I learnt not to put my trust on any external factor to meet my needs. There is a potential for me to become rich through this company, but I do not desire or look forward to it.

The verse that comes to my mind is -

James 4 :13 - Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business, and make a profit.” 14You do not even know what will happen tomorrow! What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord is willing, we will live and do this or that.”

We can see many things as profitable in our eyes. But our desire should not be to achieve them or dream about them. But our heart should be in doing God's will. If it is God's will then I will do it no matter how profitable the thing appears to me. If it is not God's will then I am willing to lose this profitable thing! If we have that heart then we are always safe from idols.

2019/3/21 10:53Profile
savannah

Re: The American Dream and Idolatry 101

Some just don't wake up from the dream!

"10 Reasons why Michael Jackson's Life and Death Matter" - 21 minutes
https://youtu.be/_fVA2vxGRbQ

2019/3/21 13:54Profile
dougr777

Atlanta, Georgia

Re:

First, I loved the video on Michael Jackson, excellent!

Caleb, I don't mind answering and I wanted to share some more as I have been asking the Lord if I should.

1. When you said that you have had to lay down friends and business pursuits, what does that mean specifically?

I was following a Christian man and his community of followers/business builders (not all believers) who's main pursuit was having a dream for men to be home with their families having an e-commerce business selling on Amazon,eBay or similar methods. I love and pray for this man who is clearly a Christian, but I just couldn't separate seeking wealth/ from ministry/God.

This man was an idol in my life, and his goals. While having a home business and working around/with your family vs. a JOB (away from wife/children) is not the point, but when that is the goal vs. hearing from the Lord His will for your life, that is sin in my opinion.

Were you led to resign all work, or just cut back? For about 7 years I was self-employed, owned my own business and worked around my family, but I lost site of the Lord and his purpose and chased after money, growing my business, making more, and it lead to theft of alot of our money, greed, my kingdom, following success guru's vs. God's word, and prayer. It was just a major path of success and money pursuits vs God's kingdom first.

Also, with regards to friends, what has “laying aside” meant?

I was a close associate and moderator of a large Facebook group (50k people) and also part of a group of business builders, that I just decided to break ties from and separate so I can hear from the Lord, repent and get right with Him and find out God's plan for my life, work, business, finances and ministry. Some of these people made alot of money and I mean alot! but I never heard "hey we just gave $$ to buy 5000 bible for China" or anything like that. Just , "Hey, look at my new BMW, and my trip to Disneyland" all wrapped up in Christian lingo and "man's goal to be home with his family".

2. What is your marital status, and children? I am married with 8 children, 3 adult sons who don't live home and 4 teenagers at home and a 6yr old.

I "used to" be a street preacher and the Lord put on my heart to do this more but having a family and a job it was hard. My hearts desire is to be a full time evangelist, but hard to do when you have bills to pay, but the Lord opened this door of a business a while back, but again it was tainted with greed, envy, jealousy, covetousness, and more sin. This is just a journey I'm on. I'll share more in another thread about social media. Blessings.

2019/3/22 13:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy