Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Deathbed Confessions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Deathbed Confessions

I would like to share an incident in which I was involved and witnessed: a deathbed confession.

Back in 2017 there was an older woman who thought she was dying. She panicked, was calling people in to make apologies, making confessions; her pastor and others ministered to her to assure her of heaven in spite of her fears.

Well, she didn't die but recovered and thus resumed her ungodly attitudes and behaviors that characterized her life before this incident. In fact, she forgot this incident.

We read of deathbed confessions and wonder whether these people made it to heaven and always we recall the thief on the cross whom Jesus assured of his eternal reward to be with Him. So, people back off and say nothing, allowing that people can live a life of sin and if they had the opportunity to make this deathbed confession that God will honor that.

(I have witnessed two people die - my MIL and our 25 YO daughter. When Regina was lying in bed knowing her case was terminal she made some apologies months/weeks before her end. Both of these people died peaceably.)

My question: why would a person want to wait this long to confess your sin? Why? Is the person not interested in making reconciliation with the people you hurt? Are you not interested in repentance? Do you think God believes you are sincere in your confession if you deliberately wait this long?

I know God is the judge and when a person passes on, one does well to back off and let it be, but what about those still living and expect to have the opportunity to make things right at the end but refuse to do so when the opportunity is here to do so now?

My thoughts. Has anyone else ever considered this issue?

Sandra

2019/3/16 13:40Profile
romanchog

Re: Deathbed Confessions

Sandra:
There are many possible reasons for this.

One issue is the unwillingness to accept they are wrong. They (we?) continue to justify themselves as to their position and don't feel the need to make amends because they have convinced themselves they are right.

Tied to this I think is pride or self-righteousness. People hold on to the idea that they have been hurt by someone and that the other person should be the one making amends.

When death is at the door and we know we are going to stand before Jesus a lot is stripped bare and we begin to see ourselves as we are. The fear of coming into his presence with all that trash moves us to confess and repent.

Also, there is less of a feeling that we need to save face by pretending to be something we are not. It doesn't really matter if you are about to die.

2019/3/16 22:26Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
ginnyrose wrote:
My question: why would a person want to wait this long to confess your sin? Why?

Sandra,

One of many reasons could be 1 John 2:16, the pride of life.

Deathbed confessions, to me, bring out a person's heart condition, good or bad. Your MIL and daughter lived a life of repentance and truly wanted to make things right with people because they had already made things right with God.

This is the Father's love towards us, to give us another chance and another and yet another.

Just my two cents!! God bless you.
Lisa

2019/3/17 8:24Profile
savannah

Ecclesiastes 7:2-4

It is better to go to a home where there is mourning than to one where there is a party, because the living should always remind themselves that death is waiting for us all.

It is better to go to a funeral than to a banquet because that is where everyone will end up. Everyone who is alive should take this to heart!

Sorrow is better than laughter, because sober reflection is good for the heart.

For the wise person thinks carefully when in mourning, but fools focus their thoughts on pleasure.

The minds of wise people think about funerals, but the minds of fools think about banquets.

https://youtu.be/iUV5T9JIJZ0

2019/3/17 10:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ecclesiastes 7:2-4 has ministered to me a lot in this area. Actually, attending a funeral of person who loved the LORD is a sacred experience, in my opinion. It is solemn, yet comforting. Sweet. And then have the congregation sing hymns all lends itself to the sacredness of the moment.

Feasting and funerals - Mennonites have married these two. A meal follows the funeral where all are invited to stay for fellowship which gives interested people opportunity to share with each other and the family. Time may be given for sharing publicly what the deceased meant to them, or some memorable experience that involved them.

But what grief it would be to the family when there is uncertainty about the deceased's destiny.

Sandra

2019/3/18 22:40Profile
Sree

Re:

This thread reminded me of my mother. She lived as a devote Hindu all her life. She opposed my faith bitterly and even tried to separate me and my believing wife. But in her death bed she apologized for how she acted against my faith. She felt God was punishing her for acting this way. She soon died. I feel death has a power to break people no matter how strong they are. Even old age does. that is why in the West I see mostly old people filling the churches!

As a guy in mid 30s, this verse clearly encourages me.

Eccl 12- 1:- Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say, “I have no delight in them”; 2 before the sun and the light, the moon and the stars are darkened, and clouds return after the rain; 3 in the day that the watchmen of the house tremble, and mighty men stoop, the grinding ones stand idle because they are few, and those who look through [a]windows grow dim;

I want to remember my creator and give my life to him when my back bone is still strong. With age the backbone will bend itself, but blessed is the man who learns to bend his back to the Lord when it is still strong!

2019/3/19 8:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Sree,

You are very wise to follow the advice Solomon gives in Eccles. 12. Doing so will go a long way in preventing, saving you from sinful behaviors that will only produce regret in time to come. And you can be sure the devil has a better memory then you do as he will remind you knowing how it will make you feel.

Glad your mother came to the LORD. The person I was referring to has been a professing Christian but has spurned the conviction of the Holy Spirit upon her life.

Sandra

2019/3/19 20:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy