SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Witches Go To Bethel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
romanchog

Re:

TMK said: "Which is worse: a church that "over welcomes" the HS or a church where he is, for all intents and purposes, forbidden?"

The problem with places like Bethel is that they have not learned to test the spirits. In my opinion, they are welcoming spirits that are not of God, while also welcoming the Holy Spirit. That is to me worse, because it is dangerous.

I am in an unusual position, because I attend what is basically a cessationist church (where most manifestations of the Holy Spirit would not be welcome), but teach at a Christian school where they believe in the gifts of the Spirit (which I believe in).

The pastor at the "cessationist" church gives solid biblical teaching, and I come away every Sunday feeling edified and fed; I also have a wonderful fellowship with believers there.

On some Sundays, I also attend the school's church. The Holy Spirit is definitely "welcome" there. However, I usually leave feeling that I have heard a motivational speech, or that the teaching was just milk. The school's church also has ties to Bethel. I do my best to avoid attending when they have guest speakers/ministers from Bethel, but sometimes it is required of me.

I would much rather sit in the church where some of the Holy Spirit is not 'welcome' and receive truth, than sit at the one where the Holy Spirit is supposedly welcome and receive nothing, or worse, receive untruth, and not grow any closer to Christ. It took me a long time to get to this point. I remember Art Katz saying that we need to be so hungry for truth that we would even be willing to give up these "experiences" of the Holy Spirit. After all, the Holy Spirit lives in me and I can fellowship with Him at home in my own time.

On the other hand, I fellowship with both groups of believers and find that both have something different to offer the body of Christ. And I know both pastors well and know that they both want to do the will of God and to live entirely for Christ. Like all of us, they are walking a walk and learning. Unfortunately, their learning affects many others.

This is my humble opinion.

2019/3/10 20:24Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

"I would much rather sit in the church where some of the Holy Spirit is not 'welcome' and receive truth, than sit at the one where the Holy Spirit is supposedly welcome and receive nothing, or worse, receive untruth, and not grow any closer to Christ."

Natalie I lean this way as well.

Here's a question: supposing you had a new christian who wanted a good church, but the only churches available were either dead or had these excesses like Bethel etc. Which one would you recommend? (Or neither?)

2019/3/10 22:28Profile
romanchog

Re:

Nigel said: "Here's a question: supposing you had a new christian who wanted a good church, but the only churches available were either dead or had these excesses like Bethel etc. Which one would you recommend? (Or neither?)"

Before joining any church, I would recommend that a new believer first study the Word on his/her own, being led only by the Holy Spirit, to learn especially the New Testament backwards and forwards. Then he will be filled with the knowledge of the truth and will be able to discern when he is being taught the truth and when what is going on around him is biblical.

2019/3/11 0:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy