SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great commission

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sree

Great commission

Matt 28:18 - “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 [e]Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you [f]always, even to the end of the age.”

I know many take this verse serious and do what is needed from their end to spread the Gospel. Some either go as missionaries and others support them. Jesus also told us to Teach them to Observe all that he has commanded to the disciples. Why is this part not followed today? When was the last time did they preach in your Church that Lusting after women can put us in hell? When was the last time it was preached that anger in heart is Sin and can put us in hell fire? If these things are not preached today in most Churches then are we not ignoring the Great Commissions?

2019/3/5 9:51Profile
Sree

Re: Great commission

Bumping up this thread. We hear lot of teachings on Epistles and how Jesus is the only way to salvation etc. But why are we not hearing what Jesus wanted his disciples to teach which is to Observe all that he commanded. Why is there very less or no teachings on the seriousness of lustful eyes, anger in heart, the way Jesus showed it?

2019/3/6 9:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

When Jesus preached these things do you think he expected his hearers to actually be able to not do these things?

2019/3/6 14:57Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

When Jesus preached these things do you think he expected his hearers to actually be able to not do these things?

It is important to know who the hearers are. Sermon on the mount for example was not given to everyone gathered to hear Jesus but only to disciples. So Jesus expected his disciples to obey him. That is why Jesus said if you love me, you will keep my commandments, to the disciples.

Today Christians are actually a name given to disciples of Jesus. The great commission is also to raise up disciples not to make converts. Converts cannot keep the commands of Jesus but Disciples will.

The problem today is, Christendom is filled with converts who are interested to go to Heaven but not disciples who love the Lord and want to keep his commands.

2019/3/6 15:53Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Dear brother,

I understand your point and it is well taken. But the great commission is much greater then just teaching even the Bible or hard sayings of Jesus. It is seeing the lives of believers changing into the likeness of Christ. This is a gradual process but our goal is "perfect" becoming like Christ, the early church fathers called this Theois (greek for "making divine). We never become God but become more like Him.

I do not think we can rank churches on how many hard sayings they preach or things like this but rather are believers living together in community (body of Christ), loving one another and loving others around them? Are they desiring to follow all the commands of Christ and allow God to slowly work these things into their lives? Are they committed to the Church and what it believes or are they trying to find new beliefs that are not associated with Christianity in the first 500+ years.

And yes I believe the part of the Great Commission where we share in the likeness of Christ where we have a broken heart of love for others as Jesus did: "He came to seek and save the lost". In all ways we will start to identify with Jesus Christ as we become more like Him.

2019/3/6 16:07Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I do not think we can rank churches on how many hard sayings they preach or things like this but rather are believers living together in community (body of Christ), loving one another and loving others around them?

Brother, you know me well! The more I do my part in the building of local body of Christ, the more I respect every Christian worker. I may not (and mostly will not) be able to join most Christian workers today, because I disagree with their ways, but I always respect them and never judge them lower than me.

You are absolutely right, a Church has to be judged based on Unity of the believers. Jesus himself said by the love we have for one another, the world will know we are Christians. It never excites me when people come to our church and appreciate us for holding the right doctrine! Such people who got excited with our doctrine, mostly left us soon! Somehow they find something that they disagree with us and left us!

But those who stay in a true body of Christ are those who long for fellowship of believers and want to be among those who seek to follow Jesus. Such people are rare but God is faithfully adding such to our numbers.

Again the purpose of this thread is not to judge the Churches that does not preach most teachings of Jesus. If I have to do, then 99.99% of Churches do not! The purpose is to understand, why believers here think that it is not important to preach all that Jesus taught his disciples. When Jesus himself commanded us to preach.

Quote:

And yes I believe the part of the Great Commission where we share in the likeness of Christ where we have a broken heart of love for others as Jesus did: "He came to seek and save the lost". In all ways we will start to identify with Jesus Christ as we become more like Him.

I am afraid we are becoming more than Jesus than becoming more like Jesus! If Jesus with such a compassionate heart was able to preach hard about hell then why do we think it is not compassionate to preach against sins that Jesus preached against? Are we then not trying to be more merciful than him?

If my understanding is right, most believers think that the teachings given by Jesus was never intended to be kept. Hence it is not important to preach them. Assuming this thinking is correct then why would Jesus command us in great commission to teach to observe all that He has commanded? Was that command then can be ignored in the name of compassion?

The problem is not compassion but intelligent. We are more intelligent and think that it is impossible to keep these commands. So I believe we are becoming more intelligent than Jesus!

2019/3/6 16:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy