SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sermon on the Mount

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

These are the verses Paul points to in...

[Deu 30:12-13 NKJV] 12 "It [is] not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' 13 "Nor [is] it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?'

Moses says this right before these verses...

[Deu 30:11 NKJV] 11 "For this commandment which I command you today [is] not [too] mysterious for you, nor [is] it far off.

What does Moses and Paul mean by these Scriptures? What "[is] not [too] mysterious..."

2019/3/21 12:23Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

[Deu 30:11-13 NKJV] 11 "For this commandment which I command you today [is] not [too] mysterious for you, nor [is] it far off.

12 "It [is] not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?'

13 "Nor [is] it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?'

About the "mysterious", we know from this Scripture that we are not to seek the answer from men. No one on ground or beyond the sea has what is needed for man to obey "this commandment" which Moses speaks of.

2019/3/22 15:19Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

[Gal 3:10 NKJV] 10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed [is] everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

Paul describes the Law of Moses as being a "curse". Those who live under the Law of Moses are cursed. Why

2019/3/25 12:24Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Paul in another place says:

[2Co 3:15-16 NKJV] 15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

Again Paul is talking about the "curse." The "curse" is active while "a veil lies on their heart."

Why can't man remove the "veil", why can't man satisfy the righteous requirement of the Law of Moses?

2019/3/27 14:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Moses tells the congregation...

[Deu 30:11, 14 NKJV] 11 "For this commandment which I command you today [is] not [too] mysterious for you, nor [is] it far off. ...

14 "But the word [is] very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Moses points to the only way in which man may know how to obey God. What is the nature of the grace that God provides?

2019/4/3 12:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
So I believe Jesus goal was to show the futility of self effort, the ineffectiveness of the law, and the need to be born again and then transformed into God's image.

Amen there is great truth in what you are sharing brother that truly without Christ "we can do nothing." Our spirituality needs to be seeking to be like Christ in all things but realizing we cannot do it apart from Him. The sermon on the mount must not be read like a law book but is definetly true and applicable to new covenant believers in the Holy Trinity.

God will make us more like Him if we follow in that desire.

2019/4/3 14:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

"God will make us more like Him if we follow in that desire."

Where does "desire" find it's genesis?

2019/4/3 15:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Where does "desire" find it's genesis?

I would say it starts in the fact that I cannot do anything good apart from God. He is the one that will make me like Him. The early church called this "thesis" which means becoming like God. The main passage we share in regards to this truth in 2 Peter it states that we can become "divine partakers" through the promises of Scripture. And St. Paul speaks of us being conformed to the image of Christ.

Galatians 2:20 is another excellent vantage point for us to see that Christ is in us working this divine life.

2019/4/3 20:35Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

"I would say it starts in the fact that I cannot do anything good apart from God. He is the one that will make me like Him."

I agree...

To my question "where does "desire" find it's genesis?"

I would point to this Scripture....

[Heb 11:1 NKJV] 1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

I believe this Scripture defines "desire" as "the substance of things hoped for,". So then this "desire" or "substance of things hoped for," then is created by God and not man.

Paul writes in another place...

[1Co 3:6-7 NKJV] 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

Only God can give "the increase." And this "increase" only comes by faith.

So then, where does faith come from? This is the "genesis" of the "desire".

2019/4/4 12:59Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

If "desire" is the product of faith, we know that faith is the product of...

[Rom 10:17 NKJV] 17 So then faith [comes] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

So then what does this verse below really mean?

[Rom 10:8, NKJV] 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):

2019/4/5 12:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy