SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sermon on the Mount

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Savannah wrote:

“Not So!”

Then you proceeded to quote from Psalm 19.

I love the Psalms, especially Psalm 119. The author of Psalm 119 has something more that what the Law of Moses, the ministry of condemnation can give to man.

What I meant about the Sermon on the Mount being something entirely different is that I was drawing a distinction between the reason for the Law of Moses and that of Jesus as He taught the multitude.

[Mat 5:3-10 NKJV] 3 "Blessed [are] the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed [are] those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed [are] the meek, For they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed [are] those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled. 7 Blessed [are] the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed [are] the pure in heart, For they shall see God. 9 Blessed [are] the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God. 10 Blessed [are] those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus declares that there are those who “are poor in spirit,” “are meek,” “ are those who thirst for righteousness,” “are the merciful,” “are the pure in heart,” “are the peacemakers,””are those who are persecuted,” these individuals are “Blessed”, Jesus teaches that there are people who are pleasing to God. Jesus teaches that those who are pleasing to God will find heavenly treasures.

By what means are these people able to acquire the nature that is pleasing to God? Psalm 119

2019/3/7 21:35Profile
rookie

Re:

[Psa 119:49 NKJV] 49 ZAYIN. Remember the word to Your servant, Upon which You have caused me to hope.

What Scripture is commentary on the verse above.

2019/3/8 12:46Profile
rookie

Re:

[Heb 11:1 NKJV] 1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This is the answer to the question I asked.

Do you see or am I wrong?

2019/3/8 20:13Profile
rookie

Re:

[Rom 10:17 NKJV] 17 So then faith [comes] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Do you see how Scripture is the most perfect commentary on Scripture.

2019/3/9 9:09Profile
rookie

Re:

I have heard many say that Jesus lays down greater requirements, greater revelation in the Sermon on the Mount. Is this true? You be the judge.

[Job 31:1, 9-12 NKJV] 1 "I have made a covenant with my eyes; Why then should I look upon a young woman? ... 9 "If my heart has been enticed by a woman, Or [if] I have lurked at my neighbor's door, 10 [Then] let my wife grind for another, And let others bow down over her. 11 For that [would be] wickedness; Yes, it [would be] iniquity [deserving of] judgment. 12 For that [would be] a fire [that] consumes to destruction, And would root out all my increase.

What Jesus taught in Sermon on the Mount, Job knew.

Remember Scripture is the perfect commentary on Scripture.

2019/3/10 9:58Profile
rookie

Re:

[Psa 119:1-8 NKJV] 1 ALEPH. Blessed [are] the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD! 2 Blessed [are] those who keep His testimonies, Who seek Him with the whole heart! 3 They also do no iniquity; They walk in His ways. 4 You have commanded [us] To keep Your precepts diligently. 5 Oh, that my ways were directed To keep Your statutes! 6 Then I would not be ashamed, When I look into all Your commandments. 7 I will praise You with uprightness of heart, When I learn Your righteous judgments. 8 I will keep Your statutes; Oh, do not forsake me utterly!

Jesus, when teaching the multitude how blessed those are, who have lived by faith, and have the same heart as the writer of Psalm 119, promised them that they would receive sufficient grace to continue on in their pursuit of the Lord.

2019/3/13 15:24Profile
rookie

Re:

The Sermon on the Mount describes those who found the righteousness of God. Listen to Paul how he describes the two paths offered by God to Israel.

[Rom 10:2-4 NKJV] 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Most had "zeal," "but not according to knowledge."

What "knowledge" does Paul assert as missing the mark?

2019/3/18 12:19Profile
rookie

Re:

[Rom 10:5 NKJV] 5 For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, "The man who does those things shall live by them."

When Paul recognizes that there are those who have a zeal for God, but their error is that they are "seeking to establish their own righteousness," he is pointing to verse 5. He points to the fact that the individual is striving to learn of the righteousness "which is of the law."

Just think of all the rules and traditions that men have established so that one can observe this command...

"The man who does those things shall live by them."

2019/3/19 10:33Profile
Sree

Re:

Romans 10:4 - 4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes

This is one of the most misunderstood verse in the Bible. Paul is not telling that "Christ is the End of Law", this is a wrong assessment. Paul here tells that Christ is end for Righteousness that comes from law. In other words when a person turns to Jesus, he is not counted Righteous based on the laws but based on his faith in Christ Jesus. A Christian's Righteousness is totally based on what Jesus accomplished for him.

This does not mean a Christian can live without law. That is a totally wrong assessment of the scripture. There is no truth in it.

A lawless life is condemned in New Covenant - 1 John 3:4- Everyone who practices sin practices lawlessness as well. Indeed, sin is lawlessness.

But for a Christian, Sin is even more than lawlessness, it is to fall short of the Glory of God which is shown to him through the life of Jesus. That is why 1 John 3:3 says that there will be a constant repentance and cleansing of anything unchristlike in a Christian.

A truly born again believer will have every desire and zeal to please God by keeping his commandments. This is not to prove himself as Righteous but to please God who made him Righteous!

2019/3/19 15:25Profile
rookie

Re:

Sree wrote:

"This is one of the most misunderstood verse in the Bible. Paul is not telling that "Christ is the End of Law","

Amen.

You quoted:

[Rom 10:4 NKJV] 4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Paul then explains what he means by Romans 10:4...

[Rom 10:4, 6-7 NKJV] 4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. ... 6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' " (that is, to bring Christ down [from above]) 7 or, " 'Who will descend into the abyss?' " (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

And then...

[Rom 10:8 NKJV] 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):

Why does Paul quote from Deuteronomy?

2019/3/20 10:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy