Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Good tree vs Bad tree

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Good tree vs Bad tree

Matthew 7 - 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

I always saw this verse as a judgment for the trees that produce bad fruit. If a tree continue to remain bad then on judgment day it will be cut down and thrown into fire. But recently I heard from Bro Zac Poonen, that this bad tree is our self that produces bad fruit. It needs to be cut and thrown away if we need to produce Good fruits. Unless this tree called Self is still active and alive, it cannot produce good fruits.

I believe the Lord is working in me to get this tree called Self to be uprooted. Like John the Baptist said, in New Covenant, the Axe is laid at the root to cut the tree called our self life.

I am sick and tired of repenting for producing bad fruits in my life. The problem is not with the fruit I produce, the problem is with the tree called Self that is producing these fruits. It has to be cut and the tree of Christ's nature should grow in me.

2019/2/26 0:25Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Good tree vs Bad tree

Amen this is a wonderful application for us personally, though the main context of the passage is speaking of those whose lives are false overall. But we can always see truths in scriptures that we can apply to our own spiritual growth.

Thank you for sharing dear brother.

2019/2/26 9:27Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

The good tree is the tree that is producing good fruit. The Vine dresser prunes every tree that is producing fruit so that it will bring forth more fruit. It is a very sobering to take heed to the stern admonition and to realize that the branches that are unfruitful will be cut off.

We tend to want to cut off the unfruitful branches in our life without dealing with the root, that being the self life.

The cross is the only solution.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20).

2019/2/26 10:20Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

We tend to want to cut off the unfruitful branches in our life without dealing with the root, that being the self life.

The cross is the only solution.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20).

Very true brother. This is what I am coming to realization of late.

2019/2/26 12:28Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Amen this is a wonderful application for us personally, though the main context of the passage is speaking of those whose lives are false overall. But we can always see truths in scriptures that we can apply to our own spiritual growth.

Agreed brother. Sometimes we focus too much on the context and miss so many truths hidden in the Bible. While Context is important, it does not need to restrict God from giving us his hidden treasure.

If I keep battling with fruits instead of allowing the tree of self to be Cut then I too will end up being a false prophet.
Like the 50 marks of Pharisee which was actually taken from verses directed at Pharisees, we too can find some marks of Pharisees in us! Same way I too found this mark of False Prophet in me.

2019/2/26 12:43Profile
rookie

Re:

Mat 7:15

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

Mat 7:16

“You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?

The Bible is a commentary on itself. So within context, Jesus is warning of false prophets. The teachings of false prophets can not bring good fruit. Why is this?

2019/2/26 15:47Profile
rookie

Re:

Context in Scripture is critical in discerning life giving truth from deception and lies. Context in Scripture is critical in discerning the difference between life giving "relationship" and dead religion.

Why does Jesus purposely link the teachings of "false prophets" to the illustration of good tree and good fruit, and bad tree and bad fruit?

2019/2/27 9:37Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Why does Jesus purposely link the teachings of "false prophets" to the illustration of good tree and good fruit, and bad tree and bad fruit?

Even if we consider that those verses about Good tree and bad tree are applicable only to false prophets, lets first understand who false prophets are.

Matthew 7 15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will [k]know them by their fruits.

False prophets are those who prophesy with Bad fruits. Now anyone who prophesies without Good fruits or with bad fruits, is considered a false prophet. It is very clear.

Now what is prophesy? In new covenant Prophesy is not predicting the future but to share God's word to encourage a CHurch. Paul wants the entire Church to Prophesy (14:31). So in an ideal Church there should be multiple people who can prophesy. My Church which is a small fellowship of believers, we encourage everyone to prophesy. There are sure few who regularly prophesy.

Now if anyone of these including me are producing bad fruit then is this verse not applicable to us? Should we not consider this verse and judge our self? Or should we go by purely context and apply them only to those who come with a name tag calling prophet!

So this is how I interpret what Jesus said. Anyone can get carried away by gifts and ignore the fruits. It is to them that Jesus will tell on his return that he never knew him. Even though they served Jesus with their Gift and built Churches, if they were not careful in their inner life, they will hear the dreadful words from Jesus.

2019/2/28 13:04Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Matt 7 text.

Jesus warns "beware of false prophets", so we know subject is 'false prophets', but as Sree said, there's more to it than just the false prophets...Jesus also said
24 "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:"

Whosoever heareth...That's you and I if we are listening to the Spirit of God teach us from Jesus sayings.
We as true believers need to be careful of a few things..
1. The false prophets are inwardly ravenous wolves; we are not ravenous wolves no matter how immature we are yet in the faith, the Spirit in us cries "abba Father", The Spirit of God bears witness with out spirit we are sons of God.
We cannot be sons of God and ravenous wolves at the same time.
It was said earlier that we find all kinds of inconsistencies between Jesus character and our own, so, in dying to self we live unto God; we are crucified with Christ.
This I believe is the right way for a believer to judge himself and to go forward without condemnation and a seeming estrangement from Jesus.

But we know our own hearts are digged from the same pit as those of the false prophets, so we take heed to watch our spirit and watch our lives that they bear fruit unto God.

The fact that a believer still bears some bad fruit is normative in the sanctification process all through his life. If you cannot admit you are still bearing some bad fruit, that very denial is ready proof you lack discernment of your own heart. You still have soil ready to sprout plenty of weeds.

The normative for a believer is bearing good fruit unto God, the normative for a believer is to bear some bad fruit by reason of the inward corruption still seeking and finding expression in our words, thoughts and deeds.

The normative for a false prophet or a false professor of Christianity is to outwardly look like the sheep and inwardly a killer of sheep, he has no part nor lot in the flock nor does he eat the same thing or desire the same pasture. The wolf seek the pasturelands to feed upon the sheep, the sheep seeks the pasture land to feed upon the grass God provides. There is a huge difference between them in heart and purpose when they mix together.

2019/2/28 14:41Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Forget it. You will never succeed getting rid of yourself.

You will always have your "self" but what you can do is to surrender your "self" and keep it crucified. It is not as hard as you might think.

The cross is where you allow God's way to cross your way.

Brother Sree, have you ever been baptized with the Holy Spirit? I mean not a theological concept but a reality you encountered after conversion?

If you have, you will know it, and you will have had an overwhelming encounter. If you do not know, you have not been baptized with his Holy Spirit.

Then you must confess every known sin and ask for it like an importunate beggar, until you have it.

I will pray for you, dear brother, that you will get so sick of your self until you surrender. Andrew Murray called it "total surrender"

2019/2/28 15:31Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy