SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus went to hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
luv

Jesus went to hell?

I just finished watching my first "Ben the Baptist" on YOUTUBE. there is quite the debate on Jesus going to hell for 3 days? I will be honest, I am not sound on this topic at all. Help please.

2019/1/29 22:20Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Jesus went to hell?

He actually went to Sheol. Hell is a mistranslation.

2019/1/30 6:57Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

Commonly called The Harrowing Of Hell.

Whether you ultimately decide that you believe this happened or not you can at least start a balanced research from this link. You can branch out and research farther from there if you wish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell

2019/1/30 7:11Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

https://www.gotquestions.org/sheol-hades-hell.html

A good article from gotquestions.org

2019/1/30 12:15Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The Apostles Creed clearly states and shows that Christ went to hell (the realm of the dead). What modern evangelicalism has confused people with the term hell to refer to the lake of fire or the last judgment.

Early believers saw the place of the dead as hell.

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic* church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.

*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places

2019/1/30 20:49Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Great answer Greg.

2019/1/31 9:12Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Rev. 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Keys indicate power and authority. I have a key to the high school where I teach because I have the authority to be there any time I wish. Students do not have keys because they can only be here when the administration chooses to open the building for them.

Jesus suffered death so that He might, by the power of God, be resurrected from the dead. This victory over death and hell gave Him the authority to give us the same eternal life. (John 17 speaks to this in a very awesome and powerful way).

When Satan offered Jesus the kingdoms of the world, he said that this authority over the world had been given to him, and he was right. But Jesus took the authority over death away from the enemy. Jesus has all authority to grant eternal life (John 17:2).

So Jesus did not go to the place of eternal fire that is reserved for Satan and his angles and those who reject Christ. He went the way all men go because of Adam's sin so that He could be resurrected and have the authority over that place, so that He could grant us the same life eternal that He has.

Just some thoughts that came to me.

2019/2/1 12:59Profile

Re:

Dear brother Travis!

I had to chime in briefly to thank you so much for sharing what I believe is a Spirit inspired insight. Extremely edifying and has a ring of truth, spoken in “laymen’s” terms, yet packed with more depth than I can currently grasp (intellectually).

Love you brother!!!

2019/2/1 13:19
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

If you die in your sins, the place you go to (call it sheol, hades, whatever) is a place of fire, suffering and torment. Or was Jesus wrong on this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rich man was suffering in a flame of fire as soon as he died. Lazarus was in heaven (Abraham's bosom).

2019/2/2 18:31Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Nigel: I think that Jesus was not making a doctrinal statement about heaven and hell in this parable. I think He is teaching on the blindness that is upon the Jews through the law. Otherwise we would have to teach that people in Heaven and people in Hell communicate across a chasm and that Abraham oversees heaven and all communication goes through him. Jesus here is setting up a scenario much like he did with the parable of the talents, or the sower, etc., to make the point that the Jews would not believe that He was the Messiah even though He rose from the dead.
Verse 14 and 15 of this same chapter are what precipitated the parable. You are they which justify yourself before men, but God knows the heart. That which is highly esteemed among men is an abomination to God.

Interestingly enough, I also think that Jesus did not randomly throw a statement into the passage about marriage as a quick teaching on divorce and remarriage. If we look at it in context, it refers to the preceding verses that the law and prophets were until John, but after John people press into the kingdom of God.

2019/2/7 18:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy