SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Low Enough To Be Blessed by Charles H. Spurgeon

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Low Enough To Be Blessed by Charles H. Spurgeon

“Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” (Amos 3:3).

Are we agreed this day as to our utter helplessness in this work? I caught a good sentence the other day. Speaking with a Wesleyan minister, I said to him, “Your denomination during the past year did not increase: you have usually had a large increase to your numbers. You were never so rich as now; your ministers were never so well educated; you never had such good chapels as now, and yet you never had so little success. What are you doing? – knowing this to be the fact, what are you doing? How are the minds of your brethren exercised with regard to this?”

He comforted me much by the reply. He said, “It has driven us to our knees: we thank God that we know our state and are not content with it. We have had a day of humiliation, and I hope,” he said, “some of us have gone low enough to be blessed.”

There was great truth in that last sentence, “low enough to be blessed.” I do fear that some of us never do go low enough to be blessed. When a man says, “Oh! yes, we are getting on very well, we do not want any revival that I know of,” I fear he is not low enough to be blessed; and when you and I pray to God with pride in us, with self-exaltation, with a confidence in our own zeal, or even in the prevalence of our own prayers of themselves, we have not come low enough to be blessed. A humble church will be a blessed church; a church that is willing to confess its own errors and failures, and to lie at the foot of Christ’s Cross, is in a position to be favored of the Lord. I hope we are agreed, then, with God, as to our utter unworthiness and helplessness, so that we look to Him alone.

2019/1/16 15:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy