Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reading vs Hearing Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Hi Todd, I too agree with a lot of Steve's teaching (e.g. his view on end-times and his view on salvation in terms of God's initiation and man's response).

2019/1/6 19:54Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

I always loved the Alexander Scourby bible reading time when it used to come on radio...before radio stations realized they get more listeners without it.

I've had difficulty over the years...well because I am weird...who knew? I like to focus, but when Im driving I get distracted and feel like I am not giving myself properly to listening to the scriptures, plus I don't want to just randomly imagine scripture/teaching. So, I don't listen much to bible reading...I have no trouble with listening to sermons...one after the other, or seminary teaching, lectures etc.

I memorize KJV, other translations only muddy up what's left in the old head.

I can focus intently in the loudest restaurants or coffee houses, sometimes dead silence is 'too quiet', again just me.

Prayer is altogether different, I need alone-ness, solitude so I can focus, speak aloud and open up my heart. Normally I go for a walk, or actually get 'in a closet'.

2019/1/8 13:20Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I listen to a lot of audiobooks while driving and it is amazing how 10 minutes can go by and I haven’t heard a thing- so I have to back track.

This listening while I am reading is really helping me slow down and focus.

2019/1/8 14:04Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Reading vs Hearing Scripture

I've done a fair amount of listening to Alexander Scourby’s reading. I had a 90 year old friend that swore by it. I too have had issue with distraction while listening, especially while driving. My personal issue was quieting my soul to listen. This was true for listening to sermons as well. My mind would wander and I’d miss 10 minutes.

The Lord literally took me on walks where He disciplines me to not turn or look to the left or right. One time it was out into a very dark night in the countryside. Dogs would start barking as I walked down the lane and I caught the silhouettes of horses. I was frightened but I kept going in spite of my natural fear. The Lord trained me through situations like this to still my heart and actually listen. It was nothing of myself.

At one point, I was on 5-6 hour walks that lasted into the night. They compromised several books but were also interspersed with times of prayer and praise. And times of just being silent and aware of my surroundings. I was blessed many times by having new things brought to my attention. Because I wasn’t reading, I would just check the chapter and keep moving. These times also gave me better overall sense for the tone and purpose of each book which when stripped from the context I was raised in.

Literally learning to be still before the Lord has the largest impact on my ability to hear. The Lord certainly knows your needs and will be faithful to bring you into the newness He has instore.

2019/1/8 18:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Excellent Jeremy!

2019/1/8 19:13Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy