Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reading vs Hearing Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Reading vs Hearing Scripture

For a good number of years I have read through the Bible every year. I have the Bible on CD and I have probably listened to it all over the years but never as a one year plan.

Do any of you think there are advantages/disadvantages to hearing the Word versus reading it?

2019/1/3 7:37Profile
Elibeth

Re: Reading vs Hearing Scripture

Hi Todd,
You ask,
“Do any of you think there are advantages/disadvantages to hearing the Word versus reading it?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I believe both are very good,... it’s like filling ourselves up with good things,... nothing could be better.
Because when we need Scriptures for ourselves or the need of others, we are not empty,... they can flow out from our utter most being,.. Living Words.

I have “The Word of Promise” .. the audio Bible, and love it,but it requires me to stay in one place/ room, and so I don’t get to listen to it as much as I would like... but am thinking of putting it on when I lay down at night.

But my favorite is to read,.. that way I can back up,read ia sentence or so slowly,.. absorb.

For the love of Him,

—————-♥️
elizabeth

2019/1/3 14:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

My plan is to read along with the narration. This will keep me from a tendency to speed read or skim over very familiar parts.

I am sad to say that much of scripture is so familiar to me that it is sometimes hard to focus. The solution would seem to be to not read it for a while but I don’t want to go that route.

Just looking for ways to keep it fresh.

2019/1/3 21:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

On SI we do have an free audio bible in New Testament:

Audio Bible NT KJV
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=995

I have found it personally helpful at times to play an audio bible and read along at the same time. It helped me many times to read large portions of Scriptures in the past.

2019/1/3 21:54Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:: Todd

Hey Todd,

I personally prefer reading. Rarely I've put on audio Bible when I was too tired physically to read. But unfortunately I find with myself that it is not of a great use ... because then perhaps I am also not able to concentrate enough.

I love listening to sermons for example while travelling. Although many texts in the Bible are like sermons (the prophets, the teaching of Jesus - I find it harder to get the message, since some records are monoton. But it could be a character issue - remember after all the first believers did not have a Bible to read but apostles to listen to.

Just some food for thought :)

And about the familiarity: I try to beat that by reading purposefully. For example take a month when you say: "Now I will study the letters of Paul or prophet Isaiah." Something like that. Or you search what the Scripture has to say on specific topics: covetiousness, meekness, discipleship, preaching the Word etc. And then after some time you can go back to reading from cover to cover.

Above all, pray to God for wisdom and may you grow in the knowledge of the Lord!

Yours in Christ,
E.

2019/1/5 22:03Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Great thread! For me personally, I can only read for maybe 20 minutes and literally fall asleep, this is why I have to do more listening. I've have some folks tell me I probably have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder and I might, but I've never been diagnosed with it. Of course if it means I have to take meds to deal with this, I'll just go on listening and forget reading.

2019/1/5 22:31Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thus far this year I have been listening while reading along- it's working well so far- forcing me to slow down and pay closer attention.

2019/1/6 8:25Profile
passerby

Re:

Now that I have a poorer vision, audio bible is becoming more meaningful to me, and I think it doesn't really matter.

I am using a free non-dramatized KJV audio bible.

2019/1/6 10:25Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

While I prefer systematically reading the scriptures slowly enough to meditate on and study certain portions that may really stand out to me, I've gotten a lot of good from hearing them read from time to time over the years.

I've done exclusive hearing while driving to and from work (e.g. about an hour each way at a certain job I had for some time), as well as hearing along with reading simultaneously at home.

One big hang-up I had for some time was in trying to find an NKJV audio Bible I felt comfortable listening to (the NKJV is my favorite version to study with and memorize). As someone pointed out here, some are too monotonous and it's hard to bear with them much. However, several years ago I came across one that I really liked and have stuck with it since. Here’s the link to it in case anyone might be interested:
https://www.olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=43763

I have considered the NKJV Word of Promise dramatized audio Bible, but I guess I haven’t been able to get over the fact that some of the narrators are secular, unregenerate movie stars, and it seems a bit over the top in the dramatization to me; but maybe I’m just being too legalistic or something.

Something else I’ve recently started doing is going through Steve Gregg’s verse by verse audio teaching through the entire Bible. I’ve found this to be very edifying because for one, he uses the NKJV, and he just about reads every portion of Scripture he expounds on before expounding on it (seemingly with very few exceptions); and I really like his style of teaching the Word. There are other great Bible teachers out there who’s verse by verse audio teaching can be accessed online.

For those who have a hard time reading the scriptures and for whom hearing them is much easier and/or doable, I’d encourage you not to be discouraged. For many years throughout history many of God’s people did not have direct access to God’s Word, but relied solely on hearing it, and it seems that many were able to commit it to memory that way and profited much by that. As Romans 10:17 says, “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

2019/1/6 11:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I’ve listened to Steve Gregg for years- I really like that he presents all sides and lets us decide. I agree with with him on a lot, disagree with some, but I think as a teacher he is excellent.

2019/1/6 16:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy