SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : What Are You Building?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

What Are You Building?

Each person must be careful how he builds. (1 Corinthians 3:10 GW)

In other words, that which is of supreme importance is not Christian doctrine, mentally appraised and apprehended, but a living and clear spiritual apprehension of Christ. That is the work. What are you building? Are you, through a living, clear, inward, experimental relationship with the Lord Jesus, building a structure which comes out of that inward spiritual knowledge? Is it by that you are growing? Or are you growing by things said and mentally judged, appraised, dissected, accepted, and assented to? What is the nature of the building? The work in which we are engaged, to which this phrase “each man’s work” applies, is the building of Christ livingly into the very substance of our being, into the very fabric of our lives. It is not a question of getting to know a great deal about Christianity. Let us note that. The heart of the whole matter is the difference between the philosophy of Christianity, of Christian doctrine and the spiritual knowledge of Christ.

The Lord would teach us – and this is the lesson that my heart is bent upon learning, and that I would urge upon you to make your quest also – that the ground of assurance is not in our having decided for Christ, nor that we persist in the Christian life, nor that we feel strong, nor that we have certain ability as Christians and are able to do this or that. It is not the measure of our activity in the work of the Lord, nor any one of these things which constitutes our Christian life. These are simply the outworkings. The thing which constitutes us is that Christ is the foundation, and that we are inseparably linked with Him by faith. Everything else can be suspended as a secondary consideration until that is settled. It is as though God, if we may put it this way to try to simplify the truth, had given us His Son and had said to us: "In Him you have everything, and the first thing is not what you are, what you can do, or anything to do with you; it is what He is!" If only in the face of all you may see of a multitude of contradictions in your own life in weaknesses, and imperfections, and lack of attainment, you will persistently believe in Him as having it in Himself to bring you through to the end, you will go through in spite of all. We begin to take stock of ourselves, measure ourselves up, and say: "I am not this, and I am not that, and I am not something else; or else, I am this, and I am that, and all this goes against me." Nothing of all this is to the point at all. The totality of every divine requirement in us is in Christ.

By T. Austin-Sparks from: Glorying in the Lord - Chapter 3

2018/12/26 9:00Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re: What Are You Building?

But what does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower parts of the earth? The one who descended is also the one who ascended far above all the heavens, to fill all things. And he himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, equipping the saints for the work of ministry, to build up the body of Christ, until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of God’s Son, growing into maturity with a stature measured by Christ’s fullness. Then we will no longer be little children, tossed by the waves and blown around by every wind of teaching, by human cunning with cleverness in the techniques of deceit. But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in every way into him who is the head ​— ​Christ. From him the whole body, fitted and knit together by every supporting ligament, promotes the growth of the body for building up itself in love by the proper working of each individual part. -- Ephesians 4:9-16 (CSB)

2018/12/26 9:13Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

This also reminds me of this old hymn:

We are building in sorrow or joy,
A temple the world may not see,
Which time cannot mar nor destroy:
We build for eternity.

Refrain

We are building every day
A temple the world may not see,
Building, building every day,
Building for eternity.

Every thought that we’ve ever had,
Its own little place has filled;
Every deed we have done, good or bad,
Is a stone in the temple we build.

Refrain

Every word that so lightly falls,
Giving some heart joy or pain,
Will shine in our temple walls,
Or ever its beauty stain.

Refrain

Are you building for God alone?
Are you building in faith and love
A temple the Father will own,
In the city of light above?

Refrain

2018/12/26 11:00Profile
1bodySpirit

Richmond, California

"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14-19 NASB)

For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power." (1 Corinthians 4:20 NASB)

"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places..." (Ephesians 1:18-20 NASB)

2019/6/8 17:53Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames. (1 Corinthians 3:10-15).

"God may allow a life-work to stand momentarily, but He will not allow anything to remain on THE FOUNDATION which is not proper building material. I can almost hear Him saying to some of those who are now building. "You may spend your whole life on that, but it will all go up in smoke. It is not suitable building material; it is not something of Christ which I have wrought by the Spirit into lives."

What is the wood, hay, and stubble which God will not allow as building material? One may look at pastors who have spent years in gathering people in their congregation. To the visible eye it looks like something has been done. Yet God sees the human energies of men without the help of the Spirit and announces: "This is just a pile of boards. I cannot accept them unless they are over-laid with gold. And this over-laying is not of man, but a work of the Spirit." God is forced to announce: "Have I not told you I cannot have this on my Foundation for it is something wrought
of man. It is too earthy. I must have gold which I have wrought through pressure, through fire, through purifying."

Again, we have seen man build knowledge, doctrine, theology into people. Yet in the hour of real pressure all this which has not been translated into reality will not hold them. It is like hay and stubble they have been feeding upon, and this can never nourish the inner man nor become building material for God."

From "No Other Foundation" by DeVern Fromke

2019/6/10 11:29Profile
1bodySpirit

Richmond, California

Re:

Quote:
"Again, we have seen man build knowledge, doctrine, theology into people. Yet in the hour of real pressure all this which has not been translated into reality will not hold them."

"...guard what has been entrusted to you, avoiding worldly and empty chatter and the opposing arguments of what is falsely called “knowledge”— which some have professed and thus gone astray from the faith." (1 Timothy 6:20-21 NASB)

"...for the kingdom of God is...righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." (Romans 14:17 NASB)

And, once again, it bears repeating: "...find out, not the words of those who are arrogant but their power. For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power." (1 Corinthians 4:19-20 NASB)

2019/6/10 21:08Profile
1bodySpirit

Richmond, California

Re:

Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in VAIN who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman keeps awake in VAIN.
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To retire late,
To eat the bread of painful ("fleshly/human" inferred) labors;
For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep." (Psalm 127:1-2 NASB)

2019/6/10 21:18Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Mike: That was a wonderful teaching from Austin:

I think he hit the very heart of Christianity and the core of what it mean to overcome the world...even ourselves.

But everything has a context and this one has one as well.

I realize to pull back from Austin's teaching here would seem to be unspiritual and academic...all theology and no heart.

But I have found out God is smarter than we are. We are not smart to say "all I have is Jesus and my relationship with him is enough". Enough for who? For us yes, but for those who are caught up in error need the propositions theology has to offer. Austin himself make no bones about declaring what he believes to be a central truth to living out the Christian walk, and this in his assertions and the proposition that the indwelling Christ is sufficient for us. Yet, think for a moment...this itself is a proposition a piece of theology and to our danger we should never reject it.

Over the millennia we need sound theology...those terrible academics, those apologists and those bad bad theologians to keep the Church within the structure of biblical living.
Not everyone is the spiritual giant Austin Sparks is, nor do they have his knowledge to say "there's more to theology" or his experience to say "theres more than our own self-judgment".

In all of this wonderful counsel from Austin Sparks...let us not throw out the baby with the bath water as if the baby is cleansed by sitting in a dry tub...

The Church faces more than just bare knuckled persecution, it faces liars, false teachers and false prophets too, and they destroy just like persecutors.

I seek to encourage us all to recognize God's Church needs its academics just like it needs its best intercessors and spiritual guides.

2019/6/11 11:33Profile
EAGLEFLYING

"In Him you have everything, and the first thing is not what you are, what you can do, or anything to do with you; it is what He is!" If only in the face of all you may see of a multitude of contradictions in your own life in weaknesses, and imperfections, and lack of attainment, you will persistently believe in Him as having it in Himself to bring you through to the end, you will go through in spite of all.

Amen Brother Mike..If its not about HIM.. who is it about??
Bless you and yours,
Sister Frannie

2019/6/12 21:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy