SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Hope, Joy & Peace by the Power of the Holy Spirit through Faith

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Hope, Joy & Peace by the Power of the Holy Spirit through Faith

Recently I was meditating on Romans 15:13, “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

When we think about the power of the Holy Spirit, I think some of us may at first think in terms of power for service, such as power in preaching God’s Word, or powerful “sign” gifts such as healing miracles, prophecy or tongues. But Rom. 15:13 speaks of the power of the Holy Spirit in terms of the everyday, moment by moment Christian life; in terms of certain qualities and/or virtues that all of us are called to be filled with and to walk in. Paul desired and prayed for the Roman believers to be filled with hope, joy and peace by the power of the Holy Spirit.

In the middle of the verse we are given the key to obtaining these Spirit-empowered qualities, namely, by or “in believing.” It is through the channel of our trust in Christ that God rewards us with everything we need to live the "normal," victorious Christian life. To trust in Christ in all things is to depend upon Him in all things as opposed to being self-sufficient and independent. It is taking the focus off ourselves and our circumstances and looking to the One who alone is worthy and all-sufficient; I believe that’s why God is pleased with and rewards our faith, though He is not obliged by it.

So again, what I perceive from Rom. 15:13 is that God eagerly desires to fill us with His living hope, with His joy unspeakable and full of glory and with His peace that surpasses all understanding by the power of His Spirit. But He has chosen to fill us with those things through our trust in Him. This world by and large is filled with hopelessness, depression and anxiety. As we are filled with the Holy Spirit we can stand out and rise above all that. We can make a difference and have an impact on those around us through the power of His Spirit as we trust in Him in all things.

So this is my encouragement to us; are we facing any trials that temp us to lose hope? Are we going through something that would rob us of our joy in the Lord which is our strength? And are we facing something that is tempting us or causing us to be anxious or full of worry and doubt? Let us take our focus off those things and look to and trust in the One who eagerly desires to empower us by His Spirit and to provide us with His hope, joy and peace.

2018/12/24 12:40Profile
TrueWitness

Re: Hope, Joy & Peace by the Power of the Holy Spirit through Faith

I was blest and encouraged reading that. Thank you Oracio. Merry Christmas.

-Daniel

2018/12/24 19:01Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Amen brother, glad you were encouraged! Merry Christmas to you as well!

2018/12/24 20:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy