Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Slavery to sin and depression

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ArthurRosh

Slavery to sin and depression

Before I knew what slavery to sin was or what sin meant, there was a time when I had never heard of these words or ideas, that was high-school up until 2nd year University (2007). I was 20 years old and I didn't know that I was a sinner and that I was enslaved to sin and yet knowing something is wrong and without understanding it, kept me going deeper and deeper into reckless behavior and self destruction and the big word of today, depression.

I believe the Lord helped me understand that when we are slaves to sin it is the natural outcome that we become depressed. We are conscious that something is wrong even though we may not realize it and may not understand it and have no concept of sin or that we are in bondage to sin and this is our plight, this is depression, it is slavery to sin.

You can be trapped and know something is wrong but not know that you are trapped because that has never been revealed to you.

There are of course those who are trapped and slaves and feel no concern, in fact they feel at home in darkness and that is their delight, or else have become hardened to the point where there is no thought or bothering anymore.

I think this really puts a spotlight on the discussion about depression, if you see it in the light of how none of us are immune to sin and that in relation to sin there is only bondage and slavery, there is no friendship, only for those who feel at home in darkness.

Otherwise, you may not know it but you are a slave to sin, and that realization, even before you are aware of it and understand it, is the cause of depression.

And even when you are, for even believers can submit to sin and fail to submit fully to Christ and become enslaved to sin, which in the same way will not bring happiness which comes with walking in freedom from sin and joy in that freedom in Christ.

And so believers, those who are in Christ and have freedom can experience depression when they fail in some way or ways to submit to Christ and what He asks of them and therefore become slaves of sin through unrepentance and not conforming to walking with Christ.

2 Peter 2:19
They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.

(this falls under the Doctrine of Sin)

2018/12/19 6:04Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re: Slavery to sin and depression

We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. - Romans 6:6

2018/12/19 10:34Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Slavery to sin and depression

The most miserable person in this world is not the sinner that has no registration of conscience when they sin, but it is the born again Christian that is in bondage to some sin, and is under the condemnation of the accuser of the brethren.

2018/12/20 8:20Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

I agree. My only caveat is that we aren't in bondage to sin because of the power of sin but, rather, because of the strength of our own unbelief as believers. So, I was hoping to clarify the difference between the slavery bondage that the unbeliever is under and the lack of faith in their own freedom from sin that the disciple labors under. We may as believers, submit to sin but it shouldn't be equated with our former bondage under the power of sin.

At the bottom you are right, spiritual depression because of guilt and self condemnation is a miserable experience. Sin no longer has a grip on us. We are miserable when we grip onto it.

2018/12/20 8:30Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

There is no sin that can hold a born again Christian in bondage if he comes to hate his sin, realize that only the Lord can set him free, and makes a total surrender to the Lord.

2018/12/20 10:17Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy