Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : He returned to fall on his face at His feet

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

He returned to fall on his face at His feet

Ten Lepers Cleansed

11 While He was on the way to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee.

12 As He entered a village, ten leprous men who stood at a distance met Him;

13 and they raised their voices, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”

14 When He saw them, He said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they were going, they were cleansed.

15 Now one of them, when he saw that he had been healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice,

16 and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan.

17 Then Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But the nine—where are they?

18 "Were there not found any who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?"

19 And He said to him, "Rise and go your way. Your faith has made you well." (Luke 17:11-19)

What meaneth this?

2018/10/31 9:32Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: He returned to fall on his face at His feet

Is it not the same He said to the unclean woman, and to the mother of the sick child and to the.....

Tho it seems somewhat controversial here on SI, it would seem the Lord puts a premium on “our faith” in God. Many would argue it’s Christ's faith/obedience but that’s not what Christ Himself says...

As for the 9 whom did not return and worship, seems as tho there is a sense of entitlement implied to those whereas the 1 whom did had a realtime revelation of Gods mercy and no sense of his own worthiness regarding the mercy shown him.

2018/10/31 9:53Profile
docs

Re:

I'm more wondering what is was in the one leper which caused him to return and give praise at the feet of the one who had healed him. I don't know a lot of people who get touched or delivered or healed by God who soon forget it. I guess. His situation, isolated and diseased beyond repair, was just as desperate and unfixable as the other nine. Did the other nine just go about their business and forget? It's hard to believe that. Have we ever done this when being delivered from such matters and afflictions? Yet, out of the ten this one did something that got the attention of Jesus and caused Him to ask, "Where are the nine? Were there not found any who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?"

It is not recorded as happening but to make a point, I see sort of a picture of Jacob wrestling all night with the angel and then getting the victory in the morning over the circumstances with Esau. And then, instead of just going on his way, he returns to the place of the mountaintop night long struggle for the purpose of lingering and falling on his face at the feet of and giving many many thanks to the God who had delivered him.

In the same manner I guess, what disposition of heart set the one leper apart? What relevance can it have for us?

Thank you.

2018/10/31 11:59Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Did the other nine just go about their business and forget?//

Actually, they were just doing what Jesus told them to do. It is not 100% clear whether the one that returned had already been to the priest.

Regardless it would have been nice if they all had returned to say thanks a lot.

2018/10/31 13:04Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: I am the leper

Putting myself in the place of the leper:

"I am so thankful for being healed, I cant believe this happened to me".

"I've never experienced anything like this, what they said about Jesus is true, he is a healer"

"I'm a Samaritan, the Jews have nothing to do with Samaritans and least of all the Priests...I was unclean to them long before I became a Leper"

"They will not receive me or my thankfulness...I know Jesus told me to go and show myself...but at least I want to thank the one who did the healing"

"My friends are so excited to go to the temple for the first time in a long time" They want to be a part of society again and be able to be touched and received without the curse upon them"

"I will catch up later, I need to give thanks to the one who healed me"

"To Jesus, God gets glory for healing me and he gets glory when I worship him for healing me"

" I can go my way?" I need not meet the Priests? I wonder if Jesus who heals me is as great as the priests? I wonder if going to Jesus I come away healed and my worship is accepted that he is greater than the priests and greater than the Pharisees?"

"I've never heard and I've never seen a man like this, this reminds me of one of our women who met Jesus at a well...she was convinced he is the Christ."

"Jesus heals the worst cases, he accepts the worst in character and forgives all; there is more to this man than any other man."

2018/10/31 14:06Profile
docs

Re:

I'm loving these responses. Thank you all.

I guess I sort of realized later that the one leper may have not even got to the priests before he returned to Jesus to fall on His face and give Jesus thanks. Whichever way it was though, the point remains the same. Jesus said, "Ten got healed so where are the other nine?" So there was a peculiar disposition that the one leper displayed that seemed to be lacking in the other nine. What maybe about that disposition could help us in our walk today?

Thank you.

2018/10/31 14:39Profile
docs

Re:

From a brother in the Lord whom I sent the question to about the 10 lepers being healed and only one returning to give thanks.

Brothers,

As I took some time to look into this question, I found lots that could be discussed, here is my take.

It seems odd to the average Bible reader as he looks at the numerous times in which the Messiah, Jesus goes to all the wrong places and saves and heals all the wrong people. I mean, wow, he heals a, centurions servant, a noble mans son, a Samaritan women, a gentile woman's 4 year old daughter, on and on it goes. And so I wondered not just why? But WHY? Why did He do it? Because they needed His touch, His ministry, His salvation. That much is obvious. But it kept showing up, again and again, as though there was a statement of some sort being made that just a surface reading was sorely missing. And soon in my studies I came to the obvious problem so eloquently stated by the woman at the well, "Jews have no dealings with Samaritans" and then I began to ask why? You see at the core of the problem was the issue of being unclean, and in the eyes of the Jews, the entire world was unclean. Not just the people, but the very places, the very trappings, all were considered unclean. And the establishment of a clean, or consecrated, cleansed place was beachhead of the Temple Mount. It was the most "clean" or consecrated area, because the adherents to the commands of God were stringently in force. Innocent blood gave the common the renewed status of clean, a earthly depiction of the heavenly holiness it was meant to prefigure.

And so here was Doc bringing in this story about 10 lepers, all unclean due to the Levitical Laws requirement concerning discharges. All were subject to a life outside the camp (city), and therefore were under the penalty of the curse, and thus death. Leviticus 11-19, lays it all out in staggering detail. And so at first I thought it was as simple as the 9 who didn't return to give thanks to Jesus were just ungrateful, and rather ran home and saw the family and friends they had been kept away from. But as the pile grew, and as Messiah Jesus kept going to all the wrong places, and all the wrong people a pattern began to emerge, one that was to change the world. Because I believe that the gentile who returned was making a greater statement in that he did not have the benefit of the understanding of the Law, he was out side of its covenant parameters. He had not grown up in the Jewish culture where clean and unclean were common place and practice. He rather, had returned because he had just now, for the first time in his life been cleansed, and thus his gratitude for the miracle was an expression of worship to the Messiah-Priest who had just healed him. He was for the first time "clean" in body and spirit. And that touch from the Savior was what changed the mind of this gentile to that of gratefulness. He wanted to express the love, by the worship he was now free to express in the falling down at the feet of Messiah Jesus in humility, as he would have never had any claim to this miracle. And were it not for grace that he was among the Jews who received it, perish he would have in a destitute place and position. There simply was not another gentile Jesus walking around the rest of Israel doing these types of miracles... And he was given pure gold of sweet grace in the fact that he fell in among those who had the covenant, who had the birthright and were allowed the kindness because of the covenant. He was an outsider swept up in the sweet arms of the merciful grace that brought him to health and salvation. And we shall see him again! On that great day when we are made like Him in glorification because we too were cleansed by the Savior, by a pure act of divine grace.

But on a different level, I believe that Jesus was pre-revealing what He would later command the Apostle Peter in Acts 10 to freely accept... (Cornelius the gentile) against the whole of his culture and his upbringing. And what was that? Sovereign prerogative! What God calls clean, don't call unclean or common was the lesson. And so in all of these ministry opportunities and miracles, Jesus the Jew was being the example by going and doing what broke the mindset of the Jews of His day. The Pharisee's and the Qumran sector had so internalized the law, they had lost sight of the humanity that was suffering all around them. Jesus the true keeper of the Law, the Jewish Messiah and King, showed that the Spirit of the Law was in the right application of it in ministry. Look at the sermon on the mount as the example. "You have heard it said from those of old, BUT I SAY TO YOU..." thus Jesus was openly reinterpreting and defying their interpretation of what was the right way to see yourself set within the context of the Laws rule over you. Not just external adherents, but internal transformation. And so "Blessed are the poor in spirit... Blessed are those who morn... Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness... Blessed are the merciful... Blessed are the peacemakers... Blessed are those who are persecuted... or in other words blessed are those who DO and not those who just internalize to modify outward behavior. As all these have a personal outworking to those around them, one that brings the Spirit in the Law out to the spirit of the Law and reveals the new heart touched by the God of that Law in ministry! And so Jesus was the great prototype, as He went to the undesirable unclean nations, who are really unclean people, in different unclean places, staying a few precious days with them, and being among them as the means of cleansing and the true light that had come into the world, "drawing all men unto Himself".

So much more to say... so little time to say it!

Unto the unending day.

2018/11/3 7:38Profile
crusader

Australia:

Re: He returned to fall on his face at His feet

Hi David

All i can say on the matter is that i was healed of a crippling spine condition as i have stated in the miracles section. All i can say is what happened and what i experienced. I was not expecting it but an old man felt from the Lord that he needed to pray for my back he did and the pain went away. There was this kind of shock that came to my interlect that the pain had Gone and I was healed. I thanked God but it was too much for me to understand so for the next 3 days i was testing my back, absolutley amazed at what the Lord had done. after this i was on my knees thanking God for healing me. Before i did this I went through alot of thoughts from the devil trying to take away Gods blessing on me.

I am thankfull to this day that God has fully healed me. I understand the leper who came back to the Lord in humility and thanks for the healing he done and I suspect the others came up with there own reasons as to why they where healed.

2018/11/6 0:50Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Romans 1 says that when God reveals His power and His glory ( goodness ) to mankind that they refuse to give Him thanks or give Him glory. A very few possessing faith do give him that thanks and glory as He reveals His power and glory to them. When Jesus revealed His power and His goodness to the lepers, just one saw Him by faith as God and gave Him his due glory. That would seem to make sense and be Scriptural. Only a few perceive Jesus as He is, the image of the glory of God, even in the midst of overwhelming miraculous healing.

2018/11/6 3:57Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy