Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mercy in the midst of judgement

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
appolus

Mercy in the midst of judgement

Mercy in the midst of wrath

In Jeremiah 27 we see the prophet coming up against the false prophets of the day. The chapter is set against the backdrop of a devastated Jerusalem where the temple has been sacked by the Babylonians and many of the vessels, the means of sacrifice and worship, have been taken away to Babylon. There are a few vessels left, a vestige of what had been, a reminder of the former days of glory.

We see a people who are in the very midst of judgement. God's hand has moved and will move further still as He breaks down the hard clods of the people's hearts who for a long time had wandered far from Him. Now in this chapter we see two entirely opposing positions. As hard as it is to believe, most of the people are still blind to their condition, it is true that the heart is deceitfully wicked and blind to its own condition.

On the one hand we have Jeremiah telling the people that this invasion and destruction from Babylon is the hand of God moving and it will move further still. On the other hand we have the false prophets telling the people that this was not God but the enemy at work and that God will bring about a revival of His people and restore them to their former glory by destroying the king of Babylon and returning the vessels of the temple which would restore the sacrifice and the worship.

Brothers and sisters, I want you to put yourself in the place of the people of Jerusalem. Judgement has certainly been unleashed. They see devastation and destruction all around them. Their whole system of worship and sacrifice has been almost completely destroyed by the world. There is little left to hold onto. One man stands up and tells them it is only going to get worse because this is the hand of God judging them. Other men stand up and tell them no, things are going to get better, everything is going to be revived and restored and all of their enemies are going to be slain.

If they listen to the first man they would have to look at themselves and then acknowledge that God was judging them, they were the perpetrators of their own destruction. If they listen to the false prophets, they would fool themselves into thinking that God was going intervene on their behalf and bring this all to an end and restore and revive them. Would you have ears to hear Jeremiah? Or would you, along with the false prophets, pick up stones to stone him?

Today Christendom is in the midst of judgement. For so many, that same wicked deceitful self-serving heart is still fooling them. They cannot see that God is not happy with their whole system and has come down to judge it. They harken after the "prophets," who tell them that God is going to restore and revive their system of worship. Wishful thinking does not move the hand of God. The hand of God is found in the midst of captivity and judgement. The prophet Habakkuk cries out to the Lord that in your wrath remember mercy.

This scripture comes in the midst of great judgment. In these examples we see that God's mercy is found in the midst of captivity and defeat. His mercy as well as His wrath brought about the defeat and destruction in the first place. It is a mercy to have God intervene even if it is judgement. For His judgment is corrective and not for destruction. Only in this place of defeat and captivity are the people's hard and proud hearts brought low enough to cry out to the Living God. God dwells with the broken and the contrite.

One of the most famous Scriptures that well-intentioned people use to cry out to God to bring revival is 11 Chronicles 7:!4. The oft quoted verse says If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. Yet, as happens frequently, the proceeding verse, for context, is left out. 2Ch 7:13 If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; You see, God is saying that if, when judgement has come, if His people, having suffered the full consequences of that judgement whether it be drought or famine caused by locusts or death cause by pestilence, should then humble themselves and turn from their wicked ways, then He would hear from heaven and heal their lands.

Brother and sisters, we are in the midst of judgment. There are false prophets who will tell you that God will move in revival and restore the fortunes of Christendom. It shall not happen, what little Christendom has left will be removed and it will be given into the hands of a wicked world. God has a purpose in this. He is separating unto Himself His people. A people that even if He slays them, yet shall they trust Him. A people whose trust is in Him and not in institutions. The gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church, His separated and called out people. In the midst of His refining fire the Body of Christ is sanctified. The cares of this life are merely burned away in the fire that God sends.

The religious are those who love this life and their ways, they will cry out to God to restore and reserve the way of life that they have known and have pride in. God's people will cry out for a refining fire that burns away all the dross and all the wood, hay and stubble. Habakkuk says it best and describes exactly what mercy in the midst of wrath looks like. Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. (Hab 3:17-19) ............bro Frank

2018/10/24 19:10Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re: Mercy in the midst of judgement

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him.

For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and scourges every son whom he receives.”

It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits land live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

2018/10/25 3:28Profile
Caleb4life

Minnesota

Re:

“For I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you.”

Surely the same spirit as Jeremiah, which is the Holy Spirit, the life of Christ Jesus.

Your words are precious, Frank, and Robert, and the heartfelt genuine affection of Christ Jesus shines through your letters over and over again.

Pure, spotless, bride.

2018/10/25 10:26Profile
appolus

Re:

Thank you bro Caleb, got your note on my website, we will talk soon, I look forward to it...........bro Frank

2018/10/25 12:53Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Timely word, Frank.

I was worshiping the Lord yesterday when a thought came to me:

Saul fell upon his sword but David fell upon the mercy of the Lord.

When Saul was confronted with his own sin, he was worried about what others thought. Instead of focusing his entire life to getting right with the Lord, he went about as though nothing had really changed. Eventually, he went to battle and was injured. He took his own life.

When David was confronted with his sin, he was struck to the heart. His repentance is recorded in the words of Psalm 51: "Have mercy on me, O' God." The true sorrow of his sin gushed from his heart as he longed to be clean before God.

I think that this is that same attitude that you mention. Even in judgment and when the world is falling apart around us, we have to focus on Him. He must remain the most important thing in our lives -- or we are lost.

Yet, when we know and rest in Him, the whole world can crumble around us but we rest while focused upon the most important thing that will ever matter in this short thing called "life."

2018/10/27 4:15Profile
appolus

Re:

Excellent post brother Chris. You write........

"Saul fell upon his sword but David fell upon the mercy of the Lord."

I will remember that for the rest of my days.......bro Frank

2018/10/27 9:41Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Brother Frank:

The preached word from many pulpits declare deliverance and restoration, they declare prosperity and promotion for God's people.

Then there are those who declare chastening, correction, the widespread need for repentance and rejecting worldly thinking prevalent among the visible Church.

Then there are those few who with a prophetic spirit discern the shallowness and hypocritical offerings of repentance and prayer that is aimed at maintaining status-quo. It's not repentance unto God for God's purposes, it is repentance to be seen of men that they may partake in the hypocrisies of their leaders. In the end nothing changes, an emotional swooning toward the altar with no more intent to repent than a glutton does practicing his repentance at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

To discern this while the glutton is just beginning to feel his hunger pangs and to declare they have no intention of repenting while they "amen" the refusal of a double-portion catches them in their hypocrisy...which startles them from slumber and may save them from being consumed by what they consume.

I thank God for a word given such as you've written.

2018/10/30 14:09Profile
appolus

Re:

Bro Marvin writes..........

"In the end nothing changes, an emotional swooning toward the altar with no more intent to repent than a glutton does practicing his repentance at an all-you-can-eat buffet."

If Christendom ever actually repented, there would be a movement bigger than the reformation. Men would lose their positions, preachers would lose their preaching invitations, in short, it would devastate the church system that the vast majority of Christians operate under. And the most radical part of it all, The Church would not only survive the fall of the system, it would thrive as it operated under the leadership of the Holy Spirit and the preeminence of Jesus........bro Frank

2018/10/30 18:10Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

In Revelation, the judgement of Jesus against the churches was to remove their lamp stand. I’m afraid this may have happened a long time ago in many local churches. The absence of light should inform us that the fellowship of light with God by the Spirit has suffered and the churches so affected. lack the Spirit and have become form over substance. If the right repentance were to come, then fellowship, substance and light could be restored and the right form of the church would properly follow because as Brother Frank said, the Spirit would be active where Christ is once again preeminent.

2018/10/30 23:15Profile
appolus

Re:

Bro Robert writes...........

"If the right repentance were to come, then fellowship, substance and light could be restored and the right form of the church would properly follow."

Indeed, this is the guilt of the shepherds of the flock and why they will be judged more harshly. The repentance that is required is the repentance from leadership for having quenched the Spirit by usurping the Spirit and replacing the preeminence of Jesus by their own preeminence, They are front and center when this position belongs to the Lord. To compound this great sin, they have silenced the priesthood and reduced them to mere spectators, spectators who are expected to nod in bovine lockstep obedience........bro Frank

2018/10/31 0:41Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy