SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What John 3:16 Really Says

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Brother Banks: Thanks for the kind words. God be gracious to us all and give us peace and understanding in these last days.

2018/10/26 11:23Profile
jochbaptist

Some possible misconceptions about John 3:16

1- It is not the Lord speaking, but John. It should not be in “red letters” beyond verse 15.
2- the word “so” does not imply the quantity/ quality of God’s Love, but refers to the illustration in verse 14. As God in mercyfull love provided a way of escape from a venom-death in the desert for any believing Israelite, “so” did God’s mercifull love provide salvation to any believing person in the whole world, when His son was crucified to save them from the venom of death. Better translated as “thus”.
3- The aortis tense of “loved” indicate an once-off act in the past. Not a continuous expression and supply of “unconditional” love.

2018/10/26 15:25Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Some possible misconceptions about John 3:16

Brother Kruger: you said "It should not be in “red letters” beyond verse 15"

That is opinion, you are coming across as though you have something over the best new testament scholars? Do You? The scholars know that the greek can carry Jesus words stopping at 15 or vs 21. But either way, ink color plays no part in the veracity of scripture truth.
John speaking it and Jesus speaking it are all one and the same Spirit and the intent whether John or Jesus remains the same, the context delivering to us a synopsis of the whole of Gospel intent.

Your in-depth commentaries will tell you this.

2018/10/26 16:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Marvin-
What are you saying the verse means?

2018/10/26 20:21Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Savannah, thanks, I will check that out.

2018/10/27 11:07Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: Some possible misconceptions about John 3:16

Thank you, Jochbaptist, for the comment on the aorist tense of "loved." The cross of Christ was God's demonstration of His love for the world.

Also for the significance of the word, "so" referring back to verse 14. "For God loved the world like that-- lifting up His Son on the cross the way Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness."

2018/10/27 11:13Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

While I appreciate how the Greek word in this verse translated as "so" is better understood as meaning "in the same manner", let us not forget that God's love is also "so very much". For God to send his dear Son who is sinless and allow Him to be sacrificed to purchase our redemption is absolutely mind-boggling in terms of the depth of His love. So here is the literal Greek translation given: "For so loved God the world so as His son, I mean His only begotten One, He gave in order that every single one without exception constantly exercising faith in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." I like the fact that world means every single one without exception, the entirety of humanity. The gospel message of hope and salvation is available to ALL! And once they believe they shall have eternal life and become part of His Church body! Thanks for sharing!

2018/10/27 12:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

It's OK if you don't understand God, just don't misunderstand Him.

2018/10/27 14:49Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Bro Bill pro,...

Do you really realize what a remarkable word you have spoken? !!
I appreciate that word.
Thank you,
—————-♥️
elizabeth

2018/10/27 16:37Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

Gloryandgrace said-
“That is opinion, you are coming across as though you have something over the best new testament scholars? Do You?”

No Brother, I do not. Forgive me for coming across that way.😬
Please note that the title reads “possible misconceptions”.

Blessings

2018/10/28 6:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy