SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Power of Godly Music and Praise by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Power of Godly Music and Praise by Zac Poonen

I want to show you something about prophetic ministry. When Elisha wanted to seek the mind of God so that he could prophesy, he asked for someone to play a harp (2 Kings 3:15). As the musician began to play, the hand of the Lord came upon Elisha and he prophesied powerfully. There we see the value of godly music.

I can think of numerous times in my own life when during a time of worship and praise on Sunday mornings, the hand of the Lord has come upon me and given me a word that I did not have when I came to the meeting. There was a power in that anointed music, that brought the spirit of prophecy upon Elisha.

Even a prophet needs help at times from the musicians. That’s why those who lead the music must be anointed. They must not be just good musicians. They must be anointed, and have a good conscience. David appointed singers and musicians, and they had to be anointed. Some of the music-leaders like Asaph, wrote twelve wonderful psalms (Psalms 50, 73-83). Two of the music-leaders were called seers (prophets) - Heman (1 Chr.25:5) and Jeduthun (2 Chr.35:15).

So God needs anointed musicians to encourage and support anointed prophets. That’s how the church is built. Some of you may not be called to be prophets, you may be called to be musicians. Be anointed musicians. I don’t think Elisha would have been inspired that day, if the harpist had tried to imitate some worldly style of music. No. There was something heavenly about that music.

There is music that is worldly and that is heavenly. You can sense it when music is heavenly, because it will lift your spirit to worship God. Some music only makes you admire the musicians! You are an anointed musician if you can lead people to worship God and can bring the spirit of prophecy into a meeting.

In 2 Chronicles 20, we have one of the most amazing stories in the Old Testament that illustrates the power of praising God. There are many lessons that we can learn here. A great multitude of enemies had gathered together to make war against King Jehoshaphat. Jehoshaphat having learnt a lesson from his previous compromise with Ahab, now decided to seek the Lord. He prays one of the finest prayers of trust in the Lord – in the same class as the prayer prayed by his father Asa (2 Chronicles 14:11). Notice seven things that Jehoshaphat reminded God and himself and acknowledged in his prayer:

1. The absolute sovereignty of God (2 Chr. 20:6).
2. What God had done for Israel in the past (2 Chr. 20:7).
3. The promises of God (2 Chr. 20:8,9).
4. That Israel was God’s inheritance (2 Chr. 20:11).
5. Their utter weakness (2 Chr. 20:12).
6. Their utter lack of wisdom (2 Chr. 20:12).
7. Their utter dependence on God (2 Chr. 20:12).

God responded to that prayer immediately by sending a message through a prophet saying, “Don’t be afraid. The battle is not yours but God’s. Go and face your enemies. The Lord is with you” (2 Chr. 20:15-17).

So Jehoshaphat sent the singers into battle in front of the soldiers! And as these singers began praising the Lord, the Lord defeated all of Judah’s enemies. Judah also became wealthy through all the wealth they got from their enemies. This story illustrates the way of victory: Through confessing the sovereignty and the promises of God in faith and praising the Lord in advance, even when the enemies (problems) are still there. Our faith is expressed in praise. “They believed His words – they sang His praise” (Psa.106:12). The reverse is also true: When we don’t sing God’s praise, it proves that we don’t believe His words!

2018/9/21 16:00Profile
Jeremy221

Re: The Power of Godly Music and Praise by Zac Poonen

Quote:
Our faith is expressed in praise. “They believed His words – they sang His praise” (Psa.106:12). The reverse is also true: When we don’t sing God’s praise, it proves that we don’t believe His words!

This is certainly a core aspect of worshipping in spirit and truth. If we don't believe then we don't recognize the hand of God in our deliverance. Like Art Katz talks about in "The Spirit of Truth," it is possible to sing truth in untruth. I've witnessed how many songs sung today are chock full of Scripture but fundamentall to the message is a patent untruth or even heresay. What vexes me so much is that they are sung with so much gusto by so many.

In some of Zac Poonen's other teachings he relates how he was confronted by the Lord about "always giving thanks." So he learned the relationship between seeing God's hand in all things be they blessings, revelation or discipline and hardship and perpetual communion. This revelation about communion, prayer and giving thanks is the foundation on which those with a ministry in music and those with prophetic gifts can bring forth the works to edifying the body.

2018/9/22 5:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//I've witnessed how many songs sung today are chock full of Scripture but fundamentall to the message is a patent untruth or even heresay. What vexes me so much is that they are sung with so much gusto by so many.//

Can you give some examples of songs you feel fit this description?

2018/9/22 8:20Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Jeremy221:

I am eager to read your reply to Todd’s question.

I have an example.

Consider this song:

THRIVE by Casting Crowns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ71RWJhS_M

Do you see any “patent untruth or even heresay” in this song?

Blessings

2018/9/24 23:46Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

My humble opinion? You'll have to look for another song to critique

This song is beautiful and uplifting and...don't stone me...scripturally accurate.
It is not a worship song as such but more of an encouragement for Christians to live fruitful lives...and thrive (abundant life!)
Just about every verse can be backed by scripture and not only that, I believe there is spiritual life released in this song.

If y'all don't agree please correct me :)

God bless,

2018/9/25 4:42Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you,
It's all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about you,
It's all about you, Jesus

Source: Heart of Worship by Michael W. Smith

This is a very popular song that is passionately sung by most I know. Do agree with and love this song? If so, why or why not?

2018/9/25 5:39Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Brother,

I will be the first to confess I have sung many a worship song without necessarily concentrating on the scriptural correctness of every single word, including this song to which you refer.
If you read the explanation from Matt Redman for why the song was written and its meaning it makes complete sense, as it contrasts empty tradition and church worship without intent, without meaning, without life.
Jesus is the centre of a New Testament believer's life and songs confessing His Name, calling on His Name and expressing love and devotion to Him will necessarily be central.

My thoughts...

Blessings,

2018/9/25 9:05Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Jeremy221:

HEART OF WORSHIP – Full Lyrics:

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart

I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart

And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You Jesus

King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Every single breath

I'll bring You more than just a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart

And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You Jesus

Its all about you
Jesus

----------

I have no problem with this song.

Rev. 2:4 -- But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

2018/9/25 10:20Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Crosswalk (2004)

Matt Redman’s songs were very popular before “The Heart of Worship” came along. But if we are believe his testimony in the song and Crosswalk interview, he really didn’t understand worship despite his musical and songwriting gifts. The song states that he is returning to true worship but his testimony in the article is that he had never known it before and only in the short period before the song was written was he gaining any insight. This has enormous repercussions.

I would like to hear what you think about this. There is a compilation of top 1990’s worship songs that includes “Lord, I Lift Your Name on High.” The song begins at 17:17 but what is most important is what comes after.

Here is a link for easy reference: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lzvo5-n5RB8
BBC Radio 2 interview: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m83TSHhg-jU

What do the song leader’s instructions mean? What had they been doing before? What is the implication?

Crosswalk Matt Redman interview: https://www.crosswalk.com/church/worship/song-story-matt-redmans-the-heart-of-worship-1253122.html

Edit: BranchinVINE, we must have been composing at the same time. In short, you cannot sing that song twice with full, honest sincerity.

2018/9/25 10:20Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Jeremy221:

I still have no problem with this song.

"Its all about you
Jesus"

Amen.

2018/9/25 10:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.