Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

A Question on the Donkey

Is there a connection between

(1)

Ex. 34:19-20 –
The first offspring from every womb belongs to Me, and all your male livestock, the first offspring from cattle and sheep. You shall redeem with a lamb the first offspring from a donkey; and if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck. You shall redeem all the firstborn of your sons. None shall appear before Me empty-handed

Ex. 13:11-13 –
Now when the LORD brings you to the land of the Canaanite, as He swore to you and to your fathers, and gives it to you, you shall devote to the LORD the first offspring of every womb, and the first offspring of every beast that you own; the males belong to the LORD. But every first offspring of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck; and every firstborn of man among your sons you shall redeem.

and

(2)

On His way to the cross, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey on which no one has yet ever sat.
(Matt. 21:1-11; Mark 11:1-11; Luke 19:28-38; John 12:12-15)

At the cross Jesus was the Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world.

Eph. 1:7
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

Note:
As King of kings and Lord of lords in Rev. 19:11-16, Jesus rode on a white horse.

If there is a connection what does the donkey represent?

2018/9/13 19:38Profile
passerby

Re: A Question on the Donkey

It seems the donkey is not acceptable for an offering, its firstborn is to be redeemed by a lamb, otherwise its neck shall be broken (is this literal?).

But then, the Lord Jesus honored the donkey to be His humble transport to Jerusalem, in that very significant historical event.

And in the future (Rev 19), in all holiness and grandeur with a white horse, to strike down the nations and rule with a rod of iron.

2018/9/14 1:50Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi passerby,

But why would Jesus honour the donkey which is not an acceptable animal?

2018/9/14 3:13Profile
passerby

Re:

This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the
prophet, saying, "Say to the daughter of Zion, 'Behold,
your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a
donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.'"
(Matt:214- 5, Zechariah 9:9)

Riding a donkey also signifies peaceful intent,
reconciliation, and humility as Abigail did to appease
king David for the offense made by Nabal her husband.
(1 Samuel 25). In his inaugural King Solomon was also
instructed to ride on a donkey In contast to Absalom and
Adonijah sons of David.

1 kings 1:5

Now Adonijah, whose mother was Haggith, put himself forward and said, "I will be king." So he got chariots and horses ready, with fifty men to run ahead of him.

2 Samuel 15:1

In the course of time, Absalom provided himself with a chariot and horses and with fifty men to run ahead of him.

And in Luke 19:41-44 we read:

And when he drew near and saw the city, he wept over it, saying, "Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. For the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up a barricade around you and surround you and hem you in on every side and tear you down to the ground, you and your children within you. And they will not leave one stone upon another in you, because you did not know the time of your visitation."

(Luke 13:34–35).

As “He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem,” He cried, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord”

2018/9/14 7:20Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: A Question on the Donkey

I have never seen this before, but my first thought is that this old donkey, me, was redeemed by the lamb.

2018/9/14 7:33Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Listen to “He Who Comes in the Name of the Lord” by Art Katz. So good.

A quote (paraphrasing): "the humility Jesus exhibited when entering Jerusalem on an ass was the same humility he exhibited when overturning the money changer's tables.”

Let that sink in.

2018/9/14 7:37Profile
passerby

Re:

@twayneb

When I read those passages carefully, I was deeply moved. I don't know why, but I guess I was caught in the same sentiment that you have.

2018/9/14 10:54Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Travis,

This is my first thought too.

2018/9/15 3:26Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi passerby,

Let me think about Zech. 9:9

2018/9/15 3:28Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

SOME DONKEY FACTS:

Source: http://www.mikesdonkeys.co.uk/facts.html

“Donkeys have a reputation for stubbornness but this is due to their highly developed sense of self preservation. It is difficult to force or frighten a donkey into doing something it sees as contrary to its own best interest or safety.”

“Donkeys are more independent in their thinking than horses and will reason, then make decisions based on their safety.”

Comment:
Self-life. Self-will. Self-wisdom. Self-righteousness. Master of itself.

“A donkey is stronger than a horse of the same size.”

Comment:
Self-strength.

SOME THOUGHTS:

A donkey can therefore be representative of a man who is ruled and led by his own self, that is, his flesh. He lives by his own will, his own wisdom, his own righteousness, his own strength, etc. Self, or flesh, is his master.

Being Adam’s offspring, we are all born and ruled by the fallen flesh of Adam in which nothing good dwells.

Rom. 7:18 –
For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh……

Rom. 7:14 –
……but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.

Rom. 8:7 –
because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,

1 Cor. 15:50 –
Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Rom. 9:8 –
That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.

So, Jesus said:

Mark 9:34 –
And He summoned the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me ……”

I, the old man, the donkey, must be crucified with Christ.

The new man in Christ is not a donkey but a lamb.

The self-life of the donkey must be exchanged for the faith life of the lamb.

Matt. 11:28-30 –
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

2018/9/17 3:45Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy