SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Would You Consider Abortion in These Four Situations?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Dealing with guilt and shame

There is an important issue that I believe we must consider – and that is of GUILT and SHAME – not only for those who have had an abortion, but also for those who did not. Carrying secret guilt and shame for having a baby out of wedlock can be far more devastating than we realize. It gets passed down to the children who may sense that they were never wanted. They suffer intensely as a result, though they may not even know why.

There is possibly no greater psychic pain than shame, even though it is rarely discussed. The church aught to be an instrument of healing and forgiveness. But when it stays stuck in the message of how evil extra marital sex is, or abortion is, it leaves a lot of women hiding their secret sins of the past – for fear of being further shamed by the church.

I think of all the young teenaged girls who crave for fatherly love and acceptance because they never knew it at home. They try to fill the void in whatever way they can – even if it means “selling” their bodies to another man. Their actions are no more evil than that of many successful looking Christians who sell themselves to the praises of man in order to feel accepted.

Here is a true story (I was told) of a teen who got pregnant through an affair with her father’s 30 yo hired man. The mother became so anger that she determined to remove the evidence by forcing an abortion with knitting needles. As a result her daughter bled to death. Obviously the mother couldn’t face the shame this grand child would have brought to her – tragically, at the expense of her own beloved daughter. I don’t know her situation, but it reminds us that while we preach law, we also must be aware of the reality of guilt and shame – and therefore we must preach a message of mercy.

One more thought:
I don’t think that we can discuss the evils of abortion without considering the countless who were never even conceived in the first place. A leading psychiatrist and family therapist once told me that the Pill was one of the most destructive things introduced in our society. It gave people autonomy over their lives. Thus they were free to pursue other priorities and selfish indulgences. Think of the ramifications in our society – especially in future generations.
Enough rambling……
Diane

2005/7/6 9:06Profile

Re: Dealing with guilt and shame

Quote:
I don’t think that we can discuss the evils of abortion without considering the countless who were never even conceived in the first place. A leading psychiatrist and family therapist once told me that the Pill was one of the most destructive things introduced in our society. It gave people autonomy over their lives. Thus they were free to pursue other priorities and selfish indulgences. Think of the ramifications in our society – especially in future generations.

Excellent point...

Krispy

2005/7/6 11:33
My_Daughter

Re:

Quote:

Amen to this...

;-)

2005/7/6 11:57Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Hmmmm so is "the pill" wrong to use? No matter if you are married? What about condoms and everything of that nature? (ofcourse I'm talking about in marriage)

2005/7/6 13:44Profile

Re: Would You Consider Abortion in These Four Situations?

Quote:
Scripture teaches that God is the Author of life - the One who opens and closes the womb.

There are no "chance" pregnancies.

I wanted to examine this statement further, as it's been nagging in the back of my mind since dann put it (on P1 of this thread).

At first I thought 'who opens and closes the womb' is a reference to God allowing a person to fall pregnant (opens) and brings safe delivery (closes) but I've looked up scripture now...

Genesis 20:18
For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife. {fast=securely}

Genesis 29:31
And when the LORD saw that Leah [was] hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel [was] barren.

Genesis 30:22
And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.

Exodus 13:2
Sanctify unto me all the first[b]born[/b], whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, [both] of man and of beast: it [is] mine.

Now I have another question. If therapeutic abortion is murder, when does an unborn child become a soul - if ever?

2005/7/6 14:00
UR_Good

Re:

Dorcas!!!

The lord spoke to me, in Isaiah and he said...

For the Lord is a God of justice; Blessed are all those who wait for him.

For the people shall dwell in Zion in Jerusalem; YOU SHALL WEEP NO MORE, yes that is what he said.
I SHALL WEEP NO MORE. He will be very gracious to you (to me) at the sound of your cry; When He hears it, he will answer you. And though the Lord gives you The bread of adversity and the water of affliction, it's ok...

Yet your teachers will not be moved into a corner anymore. Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way, walk in it.

...and there is more, but my point is "It's you"

You are go take me under your wing, and it is you who will help me to give birth, it's you.
It's you Dorcas, it's you. You will help me.

2005/7/6 15:05Profile

Re: Would you consider abortion in these situations? re UR_Good

Dear UR_Good,

The scripture through which the Lord spoke to you has meaning for me and His timing is .... most interesting. Thank you for being faithful to share it. The Lord's Name be praised! :-)

I confess to being bemused by the way you ended your post, although of course, if I can help, I will be glad to.

2005/7/6 16:03
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Has anyone read the story of Israel Hougton

2005/7/6 17:42Profile
roadsign

Re: Birth control: good or bad?

PreachParsly asked:

Quote:
...is "the pill" wrong to use? No matter if you are married? What about condoms and everything of that nature? (of course I'm talking about in marriage)

I sure can't answer this with a black and white yes or no. Here's how I see it:

Just as most things in this world can be either good or bad, perhaps the issue is not whether the Pill, or any other Birth Control method is good or bad in itself. It is the motive behind the use of these things, as for anything else, that would be the issue with God. For he is concerned about who is master of our lives - him or ourselves. Our use of the things in this world is not necessarily the measure of our faith. Whether we have one child or twelve is not a reflection of our spirituality.

However, our hidden cravings to gratify ourselves, control our lives, and plan a secure, safe, risk-free future in this temporal life may reflect a subtle rebellion to God and an inability to trust in him. In this case Birth Control may merely enable us to live without God.

I introduced the issue of birth control on this thread to point out that the same motive behind those who abort life may be applicable to those who prevent life.

"You therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourselves because you who pass judgment do the same things." Romans 1:1

Those wee ones - living souls, who were never born alive, are surely wisked into God's eternal presence. Should not our present burden be for the living - all who bear guilt before God - and that includes ourselves - for "all have sinned and fall short...?

Let God be the final judge of every soul, and may he reveal his mercy, through Christ's glorious atonement.

Does that sound like a reasonable, practical response?????
Diane

2005/7/7 8:18Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Diane,

I see where you are coming from. Thank you.

Josh

2005/7/7 11:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy