SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Judging prophecies

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Follow-up question: shall I expect a certain way of which prophecy is to be delivered?//

It can be delivered in many different ways- however the Holy Spirit wants it delivered, as long as the message and the method do not run counter to scripture. And I don’t mean that the method or message has to have a direct correlation in scripture, just that it does not run counter to scripture.

It is not much use to list anecdotal examples because there are so many. However, you will know it is real (or unreal) when the time comes.

2018/8/7 7:06Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Exhortation and prophecy

There have been time when an individual stood up and gave a word to the congregation, this word was not inaccurate according to scripture, nor was it of the flesh, but it was not a 'prophetic word'. The individual believed she was prophesying, when in fact it was an exhortation.

The difference was noticeable in two ways.
1. The word was not the Spirit of God speaking directly to the congregation, The word was not extemporaneous, but in fact a learned word, rehearsed to us, but the individual believed what they had received they wanted to share
2. The word had a noticeable lack of prophetic authority, it was given in terms of Christian to Christian encouragement.

The individual didn't really understand what she had done, she thought it was a prophecy but felt like she 'missed it'. I caught up with her later and told her she exhorted us and it was a good word, but it was not a prophetic word.
We are told by the Apostle Paul to exhort each other, so her doing so is in keeping with scripture and her word itself was biblical. So it should be received as an exhortation from her to the body rather than confuse it for for prophecy when in fact it was not a Spirit-direct speaking to the congregation.

This cleared up some confusion in her mind and help her to discern exhortations versus prophecy.

It was normative about 30 years ago for various one to come up front and share an exhortation or prophecy, where the difference could be seen and understood. Today, it's not normative so confusion occurs.

The downside is a word of exhortation which lacks that prophetic anointing has been attributed to 'false prophecy', or speaking out of the flesh. If the elders would have discerned the difference they could have remarked what occurred and how to receive it.

Yes it's anecdotal, but story is part of what it means to convey spiritual truth.

2018/8/7 14:45Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I do not have much experience in this area. Follow-up question: shall I expect a certain way of which prophecy is to be delivered? I've thought almost all of my life that when somebody is prophecying, he will just say something in a normal language like I read the prophets in OT: "Thus saith the Lord..."

Yet I was before few months in a meeting where prophecies came to several people and the way of delivering it was the following: the brother went to the person for whom he had a word and then shared it in normal language, interrupted by praying/speaking in tongues.

Since the person delivering the prophecy is simply relaying a message that God has given him, then the way the prophecy sounds can be as varied as individual personalities.

2018/8/9 10:19Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

A tremendeous thank you brothers!

Todd, I get what you are saying! Only your last sentence meaning, when the time (for it's fulfillment) comes? I think that the Lord expect from us to act on the prophetic word He sends. That's why we need discerning. For example, in the case where Agapus predicted the hunger period, the brethren realised that the Word came from the Lord and decided to do something about it. If they were not sure or if we can never be sure whether that word comes from God or man or the devil, how could they / we ever act upon the prophetic words? I mean, what's the point then at all from prophecy?! And don't misunderstand me, I do not believe that a man's life should be guided by prophecies but rather by the Holy Spirit!

Marvin, I am a little bit disturbed by your story. One of the aim of prophecy is exhortation. So in what sense do you mean that what the sister has said were not prophetic?

2018/8/9 21:07Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I meant that if someone gives you a prophetic word, you will know if it is from the Lord when it is given, or soon thereafter. You will get a sense. Now, it may not make sense immediately, but you will still get a sense of whether it is from the Lord.

One curious thing about Agabus- in his second prophecy in Acts 21, he was accurate and it was from God, but apparently it was not what God wanted Paul to do. In other words it seems that God wanted the prophecy delivered but did not want Paul to heed it. Makes you think.

2018/8/9 21:58Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

takeupthecross: Exhortation and prophecy are two different things. prophecy may have a characteristic of exhortation, but exhortation is not necessarily prophecy.

I have been exhorted before the offering is taken to 'give the Lord's tithe' and with various scriptures enjoined to act upon his exhortation. It was not prophetic, nor was it a prophecy, but a teaching given in a manner that suggests its importance, necessity etc.

So it is an exhortation, but it was no prophecy and the speaker would not have expected anyone to take his speaking as a prophetic word.

The two have different effects upon the hearer and the Spirit of God ministers differently with them and we are to discern such differences.

2018/8/10 14:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy