SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Flat earth testimony - Part II

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Flat earth testimony - Part II

Thank you dear Marvin and Todd for being so gracious in your posts toward me on this topic!

Sorry for the tangent on the YEC thread too, I did allow myself to get sucked into it during the flood convo.

Give the controversial nature of these topics, I am so thankful for threads remaining open as they have. Such grace and mercy.

Regarding me not believing in (pseudo) science, I wholeheartedly embrace that designation. My faith is not in science.

But I’m also compelled by reality (which true science will always bear out).

Realities of observation such as the flat horizon always rising to my eye level every time I’ve looked out an airplane window in daylight. I have never seen the curve of the globe, aside from images and videos (which I do not consider scientific proof).

Realities such as never feeling any of the motion of the earth that is supposedly going on constantly in our solar system (spin and orbit).

So yes, if the charge is that I always resort to saying “the Bible says”, of that I am guilty. But I am also a strong proponent of reality.

For example:

“He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved.” - Psalm 104:5

That verse matches the reality that my God-given senses experience. Now, I know we talk about poetry, allegory and so on in the Scriptures. But for things like this, I am convinced God meant to convey the steadfastness of the earth remaining in one place, not orbiting in a galaxy that the Bible makes zero reference to.

I also believe that the god of this world (Satan) has been lying since the garden, and has been deceiving as many people as possible every since. I believe creation has been one of the major fronts of Satan’s assault, encompassing evolution and cosmology. Being the god of this world, with trillions of disposable dollars to lie, it’s not as far fetched as one might think that “outer space” and much of what we are told/shown is fabricated.

But I can still talk about some basic “science”, though I’m not technical at all. So please know that if anyone like Chrisssss hops on this thread, I won’t be able to hang with him. No offense, I’m just not there. Even Todd and Marvin can quickly lose me with big words and theories. Sorry guys!

With that said, regarding the sphericity of the world, you may know the rate of curvature is 8 inches per mile squared, based on the alleged circumference of the globe being nearly 25,000 miles.

At that rate of curve, when looking across distances of even 40-60 miles for example (with high zoom lenses), we should not be able to see landmarks that would be hidden due to the curve of the earth. Right?

Well, I have friends that have conducted science experiments (achieving repeatable results), where they report and show landmarks many miles away that can be clearly seen (they are not hidden under the curve), proving the earth is flat.

But don’t take my (or anyone’s word) for it. We should personally test things and hold fast to that which is good.

Then there are things like this being brought to light (a line-of-sight microwave link spanning 150 miles straight across flat water!):

https://youtu.be/EXBFgAA4A4A

All that said, my confidence is NOT in what other people tell me about cosmology (or videos like the short one liked above).

My confidence and faith is in Christ Jesus, and the truth of God’s word.

For example, I truly believe the Biblical account of the sun and moon standing still in Joshua is a true story, with a relatively local sun and moon standing still for a day over the circle (disc) of the earth. It makes so much more sense now, with a geocentric cosmology. Hallelujah!

Yes, I’m simple minded. Marvin, you said “immature thinking”. So be it.

But there are some quite rigorous flat earth thinkers out there who have begun to ask questions (about airplanes for example, since you talked a bit about that), and I respect their honesty.

Brian Mullin is one such brother. Love him!

https://youtu.be/aehel0lBDqQ

It’s just extremely hard to comprehend these things when ones mindset is already predisposed to believing we live on a globe. And it’s no wonder since we have had globe propaganda all around us our whole lives.

I believe when we approach a new topic, with a mind to show how foolish it is, we construe anything said (or watched) to reenforce our existing belief. We can write off anyone we want, ignore good points if we want, and maybe some of the time, there are simply blinders that we cannot yet escape.

That is why I’m not here to argue with people, or get angry. The cognitive dissonance on matters such as cosmology are immense and much mercy and grace are needed in these days of such strong delusion.

I still rejoice that what can be known about God is plain to all, because God has shown it to us. For his invisible attributes, namely eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the Creation of the world, in the things that have been made.

I love you all so much!

One day we will all cease seeing through a mirror dimly. My sight is definitely still dim!!

But being united in Christ Jesus our Lord, and being members of one another in the Kingdom of God, is an indescribable gift we share among ourselves right now, regardless of the shape of the world!

I love that word from Zac Poonen that Greg posted about how we can disagree on many things, but still be of the same spirit! Amen!

Glory to His name!

Thank you all for bearing with me thus far!

2018/7/28 0:56
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Flat earth testimony - Part II

Caleb,
Have you not taken consideration that this thread got locked before?

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=60004&forum=36&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0

Check Titus 3:9-11 for yourself.

People come here to find sound teaching they do not get otherwise and then they get confused with topics like this.

2018/7/28 7:06Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

For people who take the bible ultra-literally to back up their beliefs they must then be consistent in this. Therefore do they take the bible talking about 'a new moon' to mean that every month a new moon is created and they old one disappears?!

If not then their use of ultra literalism (e.g. foundations of the earth meaning it sits on something) is not valid as an argument. End of story!!

2018/7/28 8:52Profile

Re:

Thank you so much for the admonition dear narrowpath! Yes, the locked thread has remained in my heart and mind ever since it happened.

Confusion is the last thing I want to convey in the spirit of my posts.

I have posted through prayer and by faith, and will accept whatever consequence must come, as from Christ Jesus Himself, through the moderation here.

I truly love you and am thankful for your care of the flock!

2018/7/28 8:55

Re:

Hey Dave! Love you brother! I completely see how that conclusion would be drawn when taking Biblical text to the extreme.

That is why I am so cautious and succinct in stating my cosmological beliefs.

I know so little! But am taking the discussion and study seriously, with a tremendous desire to walk in the truth.

It’s producing such worship, reverence and awe for Christ Jesus my Lord, that it’s been fruitful, and edifying, for myself and a small number of saints.

But by no means a topic to fight about, or judge other dear saints with.

Have a blessed remainder of your day brother!

2018/7/28 9:02
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Bless you Caleb for having a tender heart.

May the Lord guide your thoughts and reasonings towards
whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

2018/7/28 9:07Profile

Re:

Narrowpath, you have caused my spirit to soar as I just re-opened this thread while the kiddos play at a park on this beautiful Saturday morning.

Anything good you discern in my heart is 100% grace and mercy from Christ Jesus our Lord!

He has become my obsession, and I believe is fueling my desire to pursue and seek truth in these last days.

But if my conversation and words flow from a fleshly desire to win a debate or tear down a saint, I know it will be judged harshly by God on that day.

May the fruit of the Spirit abound among ourselves in these highly charged days of dark deception, where the Light of Christ will shine through all that is lovely and true.

Bless you so much this day! My love for you and all the saints is only growing through these discussions!

2018/7/28 10:08
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Hello saints,

though I appreciate the heart of all who are contributing including the thread starter, yet because of the topic and nature of the topic we have to lock this thread.

I believe such a topic is a distraction to saints in the end times when we must be focused on the gospel and sharing it with a lost humanity.

this thread is locked.

2018/7/28 14:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy