SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question in regards to a friends view on the way the church should be today

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Question in regards to a friends view on the way the church should be today

I realize this topic has been brought before, but I am struggling to understand the issue. Recently my friend stopped going to a small church that i am attending. He is very bold and evangelistic. He also is going through a divorce, so I know he is going through things. But, the reason he stopped going is that he believes the way church is ran today is not biblical. He specifically has an issue with the pulpit and it kind of replacing god and making the church to be lazy and almost coming for entertainment almost like a theatre where we sit and watch the pastor. He thinks that the deacons, elders, and pastor is the same thing. He thinks the church should be ran similar to the church at Corinth where everyone gets involved. He set me a video about this. I think he is correct in some points, but I am finding it hard to agree about having a pastor being wrong as long as others are getting involved. Like at my church we have a couple who do music instruments and the rest of sing, we have greeters, others who pray, lead bible study and witness. That is others besides the pastor. Also if you look at the nook of Titus and Timothy it seems accurate to have leadership who teaches and make sure the church is run properly. What can i say to my friend or I am wrong about this. Thank you john

2018/6/23 14:23
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Question in regards to a friends view on the way the church should be today

If everyone is a spirit filled believer it is easier to do nontraditional church with everybody participating.

The practical problem is when you have baby believers or non spirit filled persons or nonbelievers. How do they interact in a non traditional setting? They may be intimidated, but then again they may be convicted or have a desire to be spirit filled.

In the other thread about Leonard ravenhill he said that people were intimidated by men praying in the spirit in prayer meetings so very few people came to prayer meetings.

I personally do not believe having a lead pastor who preaches is improper as long as he does not lord it over others and encourages participation by everyone. However, because the “order of service” is so sacrosanct, there is very little room for following the lead of the HS. “The show must go on.”

2018/6/23 23:31Profile

Re:

Encourage your friend to be part of a regular home Bible study/house church where more interaction is welcomed & not considered disorderly.

2018/6/24 4:35

Re:

Yah my pastor encourages everyone to get involved. He even on the board has sign up sheets for reading bible verses, music ministry, greeting, cleaning. Has others the platform for testimony and preaching also occasionally. He definitely isn't loading it over, it is just hard getting others involved. My friend doesn't think their should be a pulpit 8 guess.

2018/6/24 18:27

Re:

He thinks it comes from Romans and is like a theatre and hinders growth. I don't know it confuses me

2018/6/24 18:28
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi John: A couple of things.

This young fire-brand is going through a divorce? So methinks a couple of things are in play...and probably much more.

Fault finding the local church is the norm today and it's no surprise he's found a fault.
But an elephant is sitting in the room.
1. Finding fault with modes of preaching...is just a ploy by the enemy to isolate him from the counseling and prayer he needs to recover from this divorce.
2. he's not going to get good biblical direction by losing a wife, then losing a church and then going it alone...lots of red flags should be going up with his friends.
3. tell the young/prophet evangelist he should consider his own life and walk with Christ before abandoning those who are not putting away their wives. A living contradiction to the word of God is a poor way of showing "the church is being run poorly".
4. Unless he is a callused reprobate he is going to be a walking-wound, he of all people needs the Church at this time more than ever and to worry about whose not doing what they are supposed to in a church service is a failure to get his priorities right.
5. I love the fact he evangelizes, and he loves the lost and he's bold, confident and desires to preach the truth...wonderful, but it's no substitute for admitting he needs a lot of help right now and his wife and him need to be speaking with a pastor and elders and get some prayer/counsel/help.

I've seen this in the past in others, its a devilish misdirection to use his giftings and knowledge of the word against him so that the people of God cannot help him recover from this disobedience/wound/sins issue.

Be bold with him, tell him plainly what youve read if it be appropriate/accurate to his situation.

2018/6/25 12:23Profile

Re:

Thank you for your direct response. I know that his wife is the one wanting the divorce

2018/6/25 16:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy