SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : some thoughts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
danstone

Regina, Sk

some thoughts

i have been prayerfully thinking about a few things.

i apologize in advance for its length

a few posts 'prompted' me to share my thoughts with who ever reads it

one post talked about 'evangelism' and how they criticized evangelists as using 'music' (i think hip-hop) as a worldly method to reach 'the unsaved' (i understand people have reservations about these things, or feel they have a right to criticize those evangelists, but then again those feelings probably come from within and we all know what comes from within or the heart)

(this is my own opinion)i cant stand when people say, oh, their hearts in the right place because it clearly goes against what Christ taught. i have seen the pastor i grew up with push away many disciples, many new believers, he pushed away so many people from his congregation and damaged the image of Christ because his 'heart was in the right place'.

i want to acknowledge the christian hip-hop that might have been used. christian hip-hop is an entirely different realm in itself, it has people like Lecrae, Trip Lee, Shai Linne, Hazakim, timothy brindle, Stephen the Levite, there are so many brothers that are able to reach places that others are not able too. paul teaches,

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. o the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it

if your so worried about it, watch them on youtube,
this is a link for a sermon paul washer did for the rappers mentioned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfdpFdZq7nA

in the end, i hope that whoever criticized these guys are evangelizing and reaching the lost too, because a person cant really criticize someone if there not doing it themselves.

which is the next thought i want to share

someone wrote as though they had the authority, or thus saith the lord, that revival wont happen because we don't pray hard enough or as fervent as our persecuted breathen over seas. (and just so who ever reads this, these are things i would say to a persons face, i am not hiding behind my screen.)

i want to share a story before i go on i met up with a brother from bible college for coffee one time, at college we prayed for revival many times together, listened to the same sermons, which were from this website. he was involved in a church plant in the city here and most of the people he reached out to looked like me, an indian, the head dress wearing kind. we caught up, talked about how things were going, but all he could talk about was how he wanted to be overseas, specifically turkey to be spreading the gospel, i thought to myself, i remember thinking and wanting to be like that, then i asked him, brother, do you find yourself in repentance, he looked at me like i was crazy, and said well ya. i asked him, are you in continual repentance? he looked at me like a face of disbelief and said well ya. i said good; because if your not repenting or continually repenting then you wouldn't be repenting. then i said, the same principle can be applied to the lost. if your not out reaching the lost now, you wont be later. i said there a numerous amounts of people here not needing to be told about Jesus because all these street people continually hear about Jesus and His work, they need a new demonstration of Christianity, not a new definition (ravenhill quote) then lastly, i asked him, are you feeding his sheep? he responded when i get to turkey i will. i sat there thinking, how could someone think like that, i didnt respond, we prayed and went our seperate ways.

i couldnt believe him, because he felt this burden across the seas he neglected the sheep around him. he was doing all the proper things, but he neglected the 2nd commandment Christ gave us,

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

interesting how Jesus said, the second commandment is like the first

there's nothing wrong with having burdens or carrying them but when we write posts with some kind of authority i think we become contrary to one of Christs most intimate teachings,

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

i know for myself, id rather have His yoke and burden, and i couldn't imagine trying to project my burdens on my brethren

this is a quote from a christian rapper that sparked these thoughts and i end with it.

Most segregated time of day is Sunday service
Now what you think that say about the God you worship?

2018/5/31 0:55Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: some thoughts

Good thoughts, Daniel!

2018/5/31 7:16Profile
Caleb4life

Minnesota

Re: some thoughts

Thank you for sharing your heart, brother Daniel!

I too have been greatly ministered to by the rappers you mentioned. I believe many of their songs pack more meat into four or five minutes than most sermons (I’m not talking about sermons on this site, which are rich and edifying).

Have you heard of Beautiful Eulogy (on the Humble Beast label)? Jackie Hill Perry on that same label just released an amazingly edifying album too.

Also, have you heard of the Streetlights Bible project (they have an app too)? These saints have produced readings of the whole New Testament over beats. I know it won’t be for everyone, but along the lines of what you said, I am convinced it reaches people and places that God loves to target in His infinitely creative ways!

http://www.streetlightsbible.com/

One of the aspects of their ministries that has blessed me the most is how they are committed to giving away their “work” for free. Their hearts beat for wanting to freely give of the lavish love and good news we have received from our Father in Heaven through Christ Jesus! (Similar to Greg’s heart here, I believe).

Their music is free, their audio Bible readings are free. Of course you can support the artists by buying things or through donations if you are led to.

Anyway, thank you, as always, for taking time to share your thoughts dear brother!

Love you in Christ Jesus!!!

2018/5/31 8:02Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Daniel

Thank you for those thoughts Brother. We all must never let any amount of bitterness into our hearts, we must guard our hearts at all times. Daniel, when I hear folks say their hearts in the right place, I always ask them what about your spirit? I can tell you when other Christians try and put Christian brothers and sisters under condemnation, you may think your heart is in the right place, but your spirit is not. Just because you have asked Christ into you life and the Holy Spirit becomes one with our human spirit, I personally believe we can get out of Spiritual alignment. None not one is perfect, and NEVER will be until we see the face of Jesus.

We ALL are but filthy rags, that's you and me and everyone on SI. "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away". This in my world is one of the most humbling scriptures in the word of God. Bill's version might be "Take your hoier than thou and self righteous attitude, and your morally superior attitude, to another God because my God don't CARE".

Christians should NEVER put another Christian under any condemnation. ROMANS 14:10 "So why do you condemn another believer? Why do you look down on another believer? Remember, we will all stand before the judgment seat of God". Many Christians seem to have the idea that their job is to evaluate others and point out errors and shortcomings. But our job is not to condemn other Christians!

ROMANS 14:4 "Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand". We can share truth with an attitude of humility, respect, and concern for other's well-being, pointing out areas where we think they may not yet have a correct understanding of Scripture. But name-calling, fighting, and public ridicule should never happen among Christians! Privately correcting someone in humility is quite different from arrogantly condemning another brother or sister publicly.
Once again Daniel, thank you for your thoughts.

2018/5/31 9:22Profile
danstone

Regina, Sk

Re:

i havent heard of Streetlights Bible project, i will have to now. thank ya'll for your input.

when i used to be a missionary, i used that music and from my experience, it was cool to see.

there's an article that watchman lee wrote about evangelizing, it was pretty simple and powerful as he usually is, but i 'used the method' he suggested and i found that people i was often reaching out too started to talk about Christ and how they felt lacking, that all they wanted to try talk about was Jesus but didn't quite no how, so i talked to them as the spirit led and it was humbling to see them acknowledge these things instead of me trying to use the Holy Spirit to convict them like a weapon... i seen people that hated Jesus to actually opening up and being able to share their stories and the damages they have suffered through other types of evangelism styles, all in all,
soli deo gloria

2018/6/5 0:07Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy