SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Just musing here - Divine revelation and man

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

Just musing here - Divine revelation and man

Why does the gospel, and the process of coming to God, require us to lay down our own understanding and wisdom and knowledge and accept divine revelation as something that we can not know except a sovereign God chooses to reveal it to us? It seems God requires that everything of man and of man's understanding and will be excluded. Hence, as one example, during the most important time perhaps in Abraham's life, when God came and made covenant with him (Genesis 15,) I don't believe Abraham just decided to go to sleep but was purposefully cast into a deep sleep by the Lord. Is this God giving a foreshadowing and real time/space example that man's will and initiative will have nothing to do with God keeping His promises in the matter of salvation and God keeping His covenant promise? Infected man's power and ability is purposefully excluded. So God requires us to strip ourselves of all that we are and know, not just to squash us and be done with us. But so that we can experience divine revelation leading to regeneration leading to resurrection. So God's death sentence upon our natural man and his knowledge and his will is really a path to resurrection in divine life. The three Rs - Revelation - Regeneration - Resurrection. As far as our natural man is concerned God will not compromise or negotiate with it one iota. The Lord might say you may as well be asleep if you think you can play a part in this. You must lay it all down and renounce it so that your resurrection in Christ is not of him (man) who wills, nor of him (man) who runs (man's works), but of him who shows mercy (Romans 9:16).

Perhaps giving up our own understanding as far as divine things are concerned and having to rely on the necessity of relying upon only that which God can reveal and only to whom God chooses to reveal it to is one of the reasons the gospel is so offensive to many. They want to stay awake and claim to have a contribution to make to the process. But it won't work and God has purposefully seen to it that it won't work. How many of us can claim to be where we are at as Christians without acknowledging that it was all shown to us by divine revelation which we were unable to obtain by our own insight? In your opinion, why is God so unyielding on this point? Why is God so set against man bringing even just a little to the table to contribute?

Jut musing here.

Blessings

2018/5/24 17:47Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Just musing here - Divine revelation and man

analogy

The kingdom of man is like unto...

Imagine a man joining a farming co-op, he has in his seed bags every known seed for every noxious weed to be found in the area. He opens the bag and says "look I have brought my own seed, and I intend to have a great harvest, please help me plant all of this seed, please help me water it and please help me sell it at harvest time" What would the farmers say to him? They might say "you have no part or lot with us", If you plant that seed it will never bring forth a good crop, it will poison the neighboring fields with terrible weeds and it will kill our business...as no one wants to buy your thistles, nettles, poison oak, rag weed, dandelions".
But I have labored for years to obtain all this seed?
The Farmers said "Yes, you labored in vain, for you cannot discern good from evil, and right plantings from wrong".

In all our efforts, in all our helpings and partnerships, all our supposed deservings and willingness to help God and his people, we come to God unable to discern the thistle from the grape, or the wheat from nettle. All we have to offer is what cannot be used, cannot be permitted and our best intentions and ideas are devoid of truth.

God does us and the world a great blessing by refusing the seed bags offered, the intellect and wisdom that validates planting those seeds and refuses to feel badly over rejecting what cannot feed the people of God. God's love authors such a refusal in order show his grace and kindness, he wants laborers in the field, but those laborers must plant his good seed, weed out the bad weeds, labor in only his fields and after all our labor He will harvest when he sees his own seed is ready to be brought into his garners.

2018/5/24 22:31Profile
docs

Re:

That is a good analogy. Thanks for sharing that.

Also,

/God does us and the world a great blessing by refusing the seed bags offered, the intellect and wisdom that validates planting those seeds and refuses to feel badly over rejecting what cannot feed the people of God./

Yes!

2018/5/25 9:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy