SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Does the American Church Show a Concern for its Global Persecuted Brethren?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by narrowpath
The degree of persecution in some of these countries matches the degree of dillusion of Christianity in the West.
The battle to be a true Christian in the West is just as fierce than living under Islamic rule and dictatorship.

narrowpath,

This is so so true. Glad you pointed that out.

God bless and yes, we owe it to the persecuted church to pray for them!!

2018/5/18 21:39Profile

Re:

/// The battle to be a true Christian in the West is just as fierce than living under Islamic rule and dictatorship ///

I do agree. In some ways it is more difficult to follow Christ in the west then in a persecuted nation. In places like North Korea, Eritrea, or other such nation's. Those believers know the cost. And they're willing to pay the price to follow Christ. Even at the cost of their own life.

In the west we've yet to count the cost. Mainly because there is no cost in following Jesus. Our danger is the deception of the materialism. This dulls our senses to the cost of following Jesus.

Blaine

2018/5/18 23:53
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Saul to David

Narrowpath. This is so commonplace we tend to look at it very one-sidedly.

Humanism, evolution, anti-theism, worldly mindedness, perverted lifestyles are all taught with explicitness in Junior high all the way through college. In college where as an adult you must confront the ideologies as a Christian and suffer poor grades or censorship; or compromise and get the grade at the sacrifice of your Christian integrity. This is best case scenario. The norm is such a direct challenge to the Christians faith, they must all but renounce it in order to connect with any of their professors and college peers if they want some 'normative' acceptance.

Our culture doesn't kill Christianity in prisons, it kills it with tiny little flea bites. A little compromise here, a little acquiescence there, a little verbiage change here, a little buy-in over there and before long the bible is not inerrant, God doesn't do miracles, Jesus most probably never existed and God is a myth. Little Johnny went to college as a high-school Christian only to become an engineer, he came out a skeptic with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. His college days purged him of high-school-Christian-sentimentalism and gave to him the stark realities of technology dependence and skepticism-is-your-friend-in-school mindset.

We have real enemies, persecution veiled in censorship, hatred veiled in alternative ideologies are the killers.
ISIS has killed its thousands, but College professors have killed their ten-thousands.

2018/5/21 22:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I guess I never expected my college profs to be believers (although there is a chemical engineering prof in my Bible study and she is a very strong believer). I don’t recall running into any Christian profs in college; I think there were a few Christian teachers in my HS.

I don’t think we are meant to live sheltered lives and we can’t be so wimpy. I don’t expect the folks I deal with in my work to be Christians- I just have to deal with it.

I can honestly say my atheist profs had no effect on my Christian walk. What effected my Christian walk was being away from a pretty sheltered home environment for the first time and the “freedom” that allowed. Nonetheless I held onto my faith by the skin of my teeth through my college years and was better for it afterwards.

2018/5/22 7:22Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Brothers Marvin & Todd

Actually agree with both of you in spite of the apparent conflict.

In my experience both are very true-
On the one hand, Marvin hits it on the head, the opposition to the Christian faith (especially at college) these days is a quite organized systematic front that marches forward under the guise of social justice, which (like the title of this thread) is really entitlement dressed in victim hood... nonetheless this system of thought or policing of thought persists and gains force with each new adherent, (group think-identity politics, aka fascism).

On the other hand Todd speaks to the reality of others whom ,tho this systemic growth persists within our universities and in society at large it is met with a holy resistance, a standard if you will. This internal conflict is a means by which the Lord can and does refine His children.

Many of my clients whom are college age are struggling with the matters of faith. They are definitely being systematically programmed to be an unbeliever with their faith not only challenged but undermined at every turn by professors and students alike. This is what they tell me-
Tho at the same time God has stirred some, and these are hungry for truth and are persistent in pursuit of it. They are curious and quite anxious to find something or someone real... it’s to these that the Lord reveals His Son :)

To be totally honest the title of this thread is itself indicative of the problem.
It reflects a tendency to project onto a situation our own personal feelings of victimization and then react to them publicly. Which in itself is a sense of entitlement. Victimization and Christianity cannot occupy the same space at the same time.... the persecuted church is not a group of victims, in fact they are the overcomers. For they have overcome the world thru Christ and are being persecuted for His namesake. See 1 Peter 4:12-19

While they may be victimized, they are not victims... rather they are honored of God that they are counted worthy to suffer with Christ for the gospels sake. So while it is scriptural to encourage the body to remember them and labor in prayer on their behalf, it is not scriptural to be an accuser of the brethren by taking part in the “group think- identify politics” that portends as such yet is itself part of the problem.

2018/5/22 8:05Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Whoa Fletcher- that deserves a hearty “hear hear!”

2018/5/22 8:38Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
JFW...To be totally honest the title of this thread is itself indicative of the problem. It reflects a tendency to project onto a situation our own personal feelings of victimization and then react to them publicly. Which in itself is a sense of entitlement. Victimization and Christianity cannot occupy the same space at the same time.... the persecuted church is not a group of victims, in fact they are the over-comers. For they have overcome the world thru Christ and are being persecuted for His namesake. See 1 Peter 4:12-19

While they may be victimized, they are not victims... rather they are honored of God that they are counted worthy to suffer with Christ for the gospels sake. So while it is scriptural to encourage the body to remember them and labor in prayer on their behalf, it is not scriptural to be an accuser of the brethren by taking part in the “group think- identify politics” that portends as such yet is itself part of the problem.

I don't think Jesus himself, could have said it any better. Only thing HE might have added is, Remember..There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2018/5/22 10:43Profile

Re:

As I posted earlier those of us who work in persecution ministries and try to bring the plight of the persecuted to the American church are accused of putting others on a guilt trip. I'm sure the same things were said of those who spoke out against the silence of the German Church regarding the slaughter of the Jews.

It is far too comfortable to sit behind our keyboards and say there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. And thus justify our silence regarding our persecuted brethren. My question is what will Jesus say to us when he calls us before his throne in judgement.

When I look at the last part of Matthew 25 of the judging of the sheep and the goats. The sheep and the goats were not judged by the doctrine they held. Or the denomination they worshipped in. Rather they were judge simply did they practice the Second Great commandment. Did they practice love of their neighbor for those who were in need. In the context of which the Olivet discussion takes place. I'm wondering if Jesus was not judging the sheep and the goats for how they responded to their persecuted brothers and sisters in the shadow of the cross.

Again thoughts for reflection. If any feel that they are on a guilt trip. Could it not be the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

Blaine

2018/5/22 12:30

Re:

I have purposely changed the name of this thread the focus more on the American Church. Because really the question should be does the American Church show a concern for its persecuted brethren?

Blaine

2018/5/22 12:37

Re:

Hebrews 13:3

Remember those in prison, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily.

Can somebody in the forum please tell me where this is been abrogated. Can somebody please tell me where we are not to remember the persecuted. At least remember them in our prayers.

The first century church was a church that remembered their suffering brethren. But I fear that we in America, at least the American church, have been dulled by the materialism and the self-centeredness of this age. It is far too easy to sit behind our keyboards and say this is not my responsibility.

I remembered as I shared the plight of the persecuted with a house church leader. He just simply told me we are not led that direction. Then indicated he didn't want to discuss the matter any further.

Another brother told me that he did not believe in the myth of a persecuted church. I believe this is the attitude of the American Church. Either they feel like they're not lead in the direction to speak out and pray for the persecuted. Or they simply believe that the persecuted church is a myth. At least in their own minds.

I find there is a tendency among some evangelicals to come and defend Israel. These same believer's will recoil at the horrors of the Holocaust that were committed against the Jews. They will even weep at the story of the Diary of Anne Frank. Yet these saints will not acknowledge the persecution and the horrors that are being committed against our brothers and sisters in places like North Korea and Eritrea.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said silence in the face of evil is evil itself. God will hold us accountable.. To not speak is to speak. To not act is to act.

Again I ask. Where has Hebrews 13:3 been abrogated in our walk with Christ.

Blaine

2018/5/22 13:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy