· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : "Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation" by Bede

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

"Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation" by Bede

A forgotten, but important historian for us to look to is the Venerable Bede. Bede (7th century) wrote much earlier than Foxe and his history is very important to understand British and Christian history.

I think it is amazing that men who live at such a late date feel free to discount men who lived much closer to the time of Christ. Much earlier information was available to Bede than is available to us today in many respects.

Don't let haughty men discourage you from learning from a man with much greater humility and authority regarding what he has written. Here's the link:

[url=http://www.believeonjesus.com/articles/bede/bede1.asp]Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation by Bede[/url]

RT

"Put fire in your sermon, or put your sermon in the fire." - John Wesley

2005/6/29 17:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: "Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation" by Bede

Quote:
I think it is amazing that men who live at such a late date feel free to discount men who lived much closer to the time of Christ. Much earlier information was available to Bede than is available to us today in many respects.

Bede's work is fascinating as it draws on many, now lost, sources. However it is full of superstition and legend too. He was strongly pro the Roman version of Christianity as opposed to the Celtic. It would good to bear in mind his bias when reading his 'history'. His 'church history' comments in particular should be treated with caution.

He represents a 'christianity' which is already well astray from the biblical records. I think the materials we now have to hand give us a much better chance of understanding church history than Bede ever had.

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2005/6/30 2:15Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

I would be interested in that time in history

Because it was at a time where the record in england are minimal because I think Pope decided he didnt like writing!!
I like Ron think the writing of the Celts is better! or what i have heard has anyone got any books on the celts!!
i have lived in canterbury I know abit about augustine and what I know he wasnt koshe!! I am really not to sure!!
It is the dark ages agian in this country!!

2005/7/1 11:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: I would be interested in that time in history

I would heartily recommend [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0006281532/qid=1120646203/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-4585303-0976659?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]Rediscovering the Celts[/url] by Martin Robinson. It is a sober look at the origins of Christianity in the UK with some valuable afterthoughts.

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2005/7/6 6:39Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy