SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An upcoming eschatological Berean type of conference - pray if you would

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

An upcoming eschatological Berean type of conference - pray if you would

I and seven others from my local congregation, my pastor and co-pastor included, are going by invitation to a what is to be a Berean type of conference in Minneapolis beginning on Thursday and continuing through Saturday. Pastor Chuck Porta of Minneapolis is sponsoring and facilitating the conference. At this gathering various eschatological views will be presented followed by a time of question and answer with hopefully round table types of discussions occurring. Pastor and Brother Porta has a growing concern that eschatology and at least a working knowledge of it is a major missing component in today's church. He wants to get people together of various views so at least they can see each other person to person and at least get to know one another a bit. I don't know if Dispensationalism will be presented but as far as I know the Pre-millennial, Preterist and Amillennial views will be presented by several followed by a time of questions and discussions. One of the brethren from my church will be doing a 30 or 40 minute presentation on Daniel's 70 weeks from Daniel 9:24-27. 90 or 100 people thereabouts are expected to attend. We have been joking along the lines of is it going to be slugfest or a listening match. Pray for or time together if you would and I'll try and post a bit about the event when I return.

Blessings and thank you.

2018/5/8 11:47Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: An upcoming eschatological Berean type of conference - pray if you would

I would love to go but it would take a miracle for me to get there !

2018/5/9 14:59Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: An upcoming eschatological Berean type of conference - pray if you would

Have you seen the documentary, "The Coming Convergence"?

I really enjoyed watching it because (to me) they did not take a particular side. The only thing is that it starts out like it's in the devastated future with a girl walking thru it talking...that was very distracting to me. I fast forwarded through those parts (4, I think).

http://www.thecomingconvergence.com/

I wish your time at the conference is well spent!

God bless,
Lisa

2018/5/10 20:44Profile
docs

Re:

I haven't seen the Convergence documentary but would like to.

We had a powerful opening night. The worship was deep and awesome. There were some opening remarks on eschatology by Chuck Porta the sponsor and a man then shared from Matt 24. Several views will be presented and the eight of us from our church are having fun together.

2018/5/11 0:35Profile
Caleb4life

Minnesota

Re:

Dear brother David!

You have came to mind a few times lately, and I wondered how you are doing in the wake of your visit to the Twin Cities for the conference?

Much love to you!

2018/5/17 20:42Profile
docs

Re:

Thank you for asking. I did realize I had not gotten back with a report of this gathering but I have been colossal busy since returning. Eight of us attended which included my pastor and co=-pastor and a brother from our church congregation who gave a presentation on Daniel's 70 weeks.

The pastor who brought together the conference opened the gathering with sort of an overall talk on eschatology and why eschatological study is likely one of the things most lacking in the church today. A large majority of the church just doesn't know much about eschatology and probably become confused at just the mention of it and have likely been taught it isn't important anyway. He gave a few guidelines of the conference and said straight out contention would not be allowed. He spoke also of the historic-grammatical method of interpretation and why he thought it was very important in the field of hermeneutics etc. He did a very good job throughout the days together moderating keeping a order to the gathering.

The opening session we heard a simple but powerful message on Matthew 24. It was a pre-trib brother but he really didn't so much delve into that.

The next session a very well spirited pastor, saved from the mean streets of Minneapolis many years ago, gave his presentation from a pre-trib view. This was the message I disagreed wit the most but it came from a man whom I liked the most. Wow! His spirit was tremendous. I'm sure he was dispensational. His argument was that to subject the bride of Christ to the tribulation would be a form of domestic abuse - abuse of the spouse Christ is going to be married to.

Then we heard from a historic pre-millennialist. He laid our his case and if I am correct, though not dwelling on it long, at some point he gave a criticism of the seven mountain mandate.

We also heard from a partial preterist who was a Jewish man and he explained his reasons why based not entirely on but somewhat revolving around his interpretation of the "this" generation shall see" controversy. At the urging of the moderator who knows him, Hhe told some self-depreciating Jewish jokes before his message and they were hilarious. (Do you know how you can tell if a Jewish mother is on a parole board? She is the one who never lets anyone finish their sentence!)

Full Preterism was not presented but spoken of a few times in all the discussions but I do not remember anyone saying anything much positive about it.

One of the brothers I attended with and who is a close friend in our church gave a presentation on Daniel's seventy weeks and why he believes it is still future and very relevant Israel and the church today.

Another pastor who was of a mid-trib belief gave a stirring message to stir the church to passion for the church and the lost.

The next morning we had a Question and Answer session and it was powerful. The various brothers all gathered in a panel and questions were asked of them regarding their views. So they defended their views and occasionally would criticize other positions represented but it worked well.

Though a post-millennial position was not presented, post- millennialism was mentioned a bit and post-millennial giants like Johnathan Edwards were alluded to. For reference, though Johnathan Edwards was post-millennial, he believed in a definite future for Israel. I don't remember anyone at this gathering mentioning anything along the lines of Israel is done for and has no more relevance in the Lord's overall prophetic plan. Replacement theology was mentioned and most seemed to express their disbelief in it yet it was not the main subject at all. It was just mentioned a bit from time to time.

Then we concluded this Saturday Question and Answer session with a closing powerful message to evangelize the lost no matter what your position is. It was heart rending. A bit of time was also spent praying a bit for one another and God gave some words through one another for each other. The worship throughout this gathering was great and deep and everyone was edified. by it.

It proved that men from different view points can get together and move in a type of divine unity and respect regardless of their differences. There was not a note of contention or disunity during the entire gathering and we now understand each other better because we had sat and looked to each eye to eye. Person to person. Together and close. The audience, those who attended but didn't give presentations had a excellent attitude throughout. It all was fun and edifying.

In the aftermath, there was some grumbling though from a "Doc" who attended because he lost track of his truck keys during the proceedings and had to come home without them. He was heard to be saying thins like, "Isn't his so funny! Ha ha ha. I misplaced my truck keys. Ha ha ha. Praise the Lord in all things." I suppose he was saying these things. He may have been saying other things also.

At this point, this "Doc" a has neighbor, living in the residence attached to his. They are friends a bit and his neighbor is at a very low point in his life. He is divorced single and trying hard with is two kids and recently became unemployed and is at his wits end to a degree. Three years ago he had a very good job and was married and all was well. He keeps saying he doesn't understand what is going on and what has become of his life that was going pretty good. Considering all things, although he is into eschatology, "Doc" is thinking he doesn't necessarily need to share a end time view with this pummeled neighbor but needs to share him the love of the Lord Jesus Christ. That is the proper order "Doc" is thinking. CHRIST AND HIS ATONING SACRIFICE FIRST.

2018/5/18 12:07Profile
Caleb4life

Minnesota

Re:

It blessed me to read your post dear David!

I especially liked your tongue in cheek comments about the words that you spoke when losing your keys. Totally know what you mean, and am encouraged by your candor!

Also super edified to hear of your genuine concern for your neighbor and heart to love him for Christ’s sake!!!

Lastly, about the conference, great to hear about civil, orderly discussions where convictions need not be compromised, yet saints can linger on historically divisive topics with grace and humility to learn and grow!

Love you brother! Thank you again for sharing!

P.s. you ever find your truck keys?

2018/5/20 14:19Profile
docs

Re:

Nah, didn't find my truck keys. Brakes went out also before I went to Minneapolis. Ha ha! So I have to get a key made before I can even drive it. But the day after the brakes went out the battery went dead! Ha ha ha! And after church today a friend dropped me off at a customer's house house to a do a few hours painting. There were two vehicles in the driveway but no one is home and my paint is locked up in their garage. I guess I'll walk home rejoicing in the Lord always. Ha ha ha! All things work to the good. Right?

2018/5/20 14:37Profile
Caleb4life

Minnesota

Re:

Man brother! You’ve got a nice share of tests and trials lately!

Praise God for the sufficient grace he’s providing you to laugh and take it in stride without doubting his goodness!

Love you and with you from afar in light and momentary afflictions.

2018/5/20 16:01Profile
docs

Re: His miracles are new every day!

So a group of us, our pastor and his wife included, helped an elderly saint move from one resident to another this afternoon. I decide to ride with the pastor and his wife to the new residence and I'm packed in the back seat with boxes, books and pictures to be moved. I look over at one of the cup holders in the back seat and sticking up is a thin metal looking shaft. I think it looks like a key. I think nah, it just couldn't be. That would be too much. Well, I reach over and retrieve it and it IS my truck keys! The lowest I could find for a locksmith to come to my driveway and fashion a new chip key was $200.00 I was fretting over this and was going to go ahead and do it tomorrow because I had no choice. But now the Lord has gone and helped me retrieve my keys. We were back and forth at the convention in Minneapolis going from the motel to the church. Sometimes I would ride with the pastor and sometimes with the other brother who drove. So I just misplaced them in all the shuffling. The keys had been missing nine days. Ha ha ha. Maybe I need to make a few extra keys. Duh... What do you think?

2018/5/22 22:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy