SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus’ Picture of Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Jesus’ Picture of Repentance

But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ And he arose and came to his father.

1. The basis of repentance was not fear of the wrath of his father, but rather because of the goodness of his father. He reflected that his father was incomparably superior to his present master.

2. He took responsibility for his sin and acknowledged that his sin primarily offended God, but it also offended his father, and both required his confession. His repentance included making amends where possible.

3. He acknowledged that he deserved nothing in return even if he repented. He did not repent for any benefit that may inure to him. A true penitent is not looking toward his own interests. He had no ambition of re-claiming his privileges as a son. He recognized that even if he is forgiven, full restoration should not be expected. But he would prefer to feed cows and sheep over pigs, if his father would take his as a servant.
But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ And he arose and came to his father.

1. The basis of repentance was not fear of the wrath of his father, but rather because of the goodness of his father. He reflected that his father was incomparably superior to his present master.

2. He took responsibility for his sin and acknowledged that his sin primarily offended God, but it also offended his father, and both required his confession. His repentance included making amends where possible.

3. He acknowledged that he deserved nothing in return even if he repented. He did not repent for any benefit that may inure to him. A true penitent is not looking toward his own interests. He had not ambition of re-claiming his privileges as a son. He recognized that even if he is forgiven, full restoration should not be expected. But he would prefer to feed cows and sheep over pigs, if his father would take him as a servant.

4. He acknowledged he had to take the first step by arising and returning.

5. The process of his repentance began while he was still dead. (It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.”)

2018/5/8 8:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy