SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A bit more dialogue/conversation in church this morning

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

A bit more dialogue/conversation in church this morning

Following the somewhat new precedent we tried last week, the service this morning was highlighted by teaching from Colossians 2:19.

19 And not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. (KJV)

Combined with Ephesians 4:15-16:

15 But, speaking the truth in love, may grow up into all things into Him who is the head - Christ -

16 From whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effectual working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

Two open microphones were provided for comments and questions. I had to leave a bit early but about a third of the way through the teaching several began to come forward and make comments and ask questions. They were given permission to do so.

It got pretty good. Not holding fast to the Head is perhaps the number one deficit in a local body that is trying to grow.

19 And not holding fast to the Head, FROM WHOM all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. (KJV)

If a local body grows and is edified it is by that which the HEAD supplies to every joint. And this struck me pretty deeply this morning. Our goal should not be to grow into each other but to grow INTO and UNTO HIM. Growing into each other and every joint supplying is not really the purpose of edification even though that is part of it. The real edification takes place when the body grows deeper UNTO HIM THE HEAD. Many people had good thoughts and comments. They reviewed the tape from last Sunday morning and 38 different comments were given as to what the strengthening and edification of a local body may mean. The Head/Christ wants His body to grow (in love) yet one of the unique things is that the growth that results by every joint supplying comes from the supply that the Head Himself supplies.

The sermon or teaching was stopped intermittently for this dialogue to occur. And it didn't upset a thing or cause chaos or disorder. Meanwhile, holding fast to the Head is first place and paramount if any body is to be edified. I had been thinking lately along the lines that if we grew into each other in a deeper way that would be our strengthening and edification. That is not altogether wrong but now I see that the goal should be to grow together UNTO HIM. That is when real EDIFICATION occurs.

2018/5/6 15:21Profile

Re: A bit more dialogue/conversation in church this morning

David, your gathering may be headed towards exciting times. The Holy Spirit honors a congregation with His presence who honor Him with their time..........bro Frank

2018/5/6 21:07
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: A bit more dialogue/conversation in church this morning

Brother David,

This is a message that the Church really needs to get a hold of, and you are blessed to have a pastor that allows for the Body to share and participate. Is this a small fellowship that you are a part of?

2018/5/6 21:41Profile
docs

Re:

Well, it is a local church with regular Sunday services and a couple of home groups. We are not very large and number about 50 in services, maybe a little more on certain days. It's a pretty tight knit church with most everyone being friends and brothers and sisters in the Lord. When I came to Minnesota after about a year I told the pastor I wanted to submit to him as my pastor, along with the co-pastor. He told me that is well and good but that he was much more concerned with me submitting to Jesus and seeing Him as my Head. He said if I submitted to him and the co-pastor he still would not ever want to come between me and Jesus. I said you have just reinforced why I want you to be my pastor.

2018/5/7 10:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy