SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Friendships between Baptists and Pentecostals?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Friendships between Baptists and Pentecostals?

Hello everyone,

here am I once again with a question: What do you think about "interdenominational friendships", in this case about a friendship between Pentecostals and Baptists?

I am "P", although I prefer to describe myself as a follower of Christ. In my town I met some Baptists sharing tracts and started to talk with them, visited several times their church and I somehow love them. I do understand that we have doctrinal differencies (i.e. on praying in tongues) but... If they are truly children of God, is there something wrong or dangerous in having fellowship with them, too? Or is there a danger that I "fall from the faith" and be drawn by doctrines of men?

Yours in Christ, E.

2018/4/14 11:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Friendships between Baptists and Pentecostals?

I started out Baptist, went more charismatic, now I'm back to Baptist. Good friends on both side of the aisle. In my experience the best Bible teachers are Baptists, the best prayers are charismatics.

I have never heard of a Pentecostal shunning a Baptist- over what? I went back to Baptist because of the gross excesses of the charismatic movement, and the fact its hard to find a serious Bible study on the charismatic side.

There is not enough doctrinal difference to warrant avoiding Baptists. However, it doesn't necessarily work the other way around, particularly if the charismatic church is a tad wacko.

2018/4/14 13:30Profile
appolus

Re:

Todd, you use the terms Pentecostal and Charismatic interchangeably, you do realize there can be a great gulf between classic pentecostalism and Charismatic? .......bro Frank

2018/4/14 16:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

You’re right- I was using them interchangeably. My bad.

2018/4/14 17:51Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

Oh God! How sick the church is that questions like these can even be asked

2018/4/14 21:00Profile
appolus

To answer your question E, I think it is wonderful that you love them and can fellowship with them. I believe that there are remnant saints in almost every church everywhere. I think you will inevitably run into trouble because of the gifts issue, it simply wont be accepted in any gatherings or fellowships of the Baptist persuasion, very sad. I often think what would Paul have said to a group of people if he asked them.............

"Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."(Act 19:2-6)

How would most Baptist churches or churches who do not believe in the sign gifts of the Holy Spirit reply to such a question if one like Paul were to ask them? ........bro Frank

2018/4/15 1:23Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Agree, Tyler. This must surely break our Heavenly Father's heart.

I ask:

What is a Christian?

2018/4/15 4:32Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

There are dangers on the other side of the road where Jesus speaks to those who had all the gifts:

Matthew 7:21-23 New International Version (NIV)
True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Do all have the gifts of healings or tongues? No. The spirit of God will manifest different in each believer whether baptist or Pentecostal, we need each other. Of course there are tares in both camps.

Even if one's doctrines are not right perfectly they can still be a child of God.

But as Frank said it is true that unless we have the Holy Spirit in us, we are not His. Is Christ in you? Paul says. Not gifts in you as we can have the spirit but not be using all the gifts He has given us. We can even have the Holy Spirit and be denying his power, though power should be displayed through our lives. We could have the Holy Spirit yet not allow the victory of Christ over our flesh.

But the question is, does Christ dwell in you by His Spirit? It does not matter whether you are pentecostal or baptist for that question I believe.

2018/4/15 7:13Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!

All denominations and church groupings have the doctrines of men alongside the doctrinal truths of scripture. This includes the cessesationist Baptist and Pentecostals/ Charismatics. Whichever side of the pendulum swing you are on, there will be man's tradtions and doctrinal stances added to biblical truth. Unfortunately everyone believes their particular set of doctrines are solid biblical truth. We saw this play out in the recent cal/arm debate.

There is only person I know who has all their doctrine 100% correct. Thats me! :) Joking obviously, but this is how we think too often.

Hope you find can have fellowship with the Baptists that are part of your family if the are born of God.

2018/4/15 12:20Profile
appolus

Re:

Greg writes...........

"But the question is, does Christ dwell in you by His Spirit? It does not matter whether you are pentecostal or baptist for that question I believe."

I agree with that statement. And we know that the Word say that the Spirit would lead and guide us into all truth. When I considered the question of this thread, I was not thinking about doctrine, for who among us would stand up and say that they had a perfect doctrine? Neither was I thinking about individual gifts, because you could have all the gifts of the Spirit and not have love. No, I thought about what would happen if Paul asked the question today that He asked back in Acts 19. Truth is, there are many churches who would run him right out of the building. Now, no matter at what stage someone finds themselves at in our spiritual walk and sanctification, when someone who has the Spirit of God in them hears someone like Paul asking such a question, they will yield to the truth spoken to them. If someone does not have the Spirit of God in them but is merely religious, they will fight such a man as Paul tooth and nail and with violence of words and actions as we have seen played out over the last 2000 years.............bro Frank

2018/4/15 12:32Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy