SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : TRUTHS from AZUSA STREET REVIVAL by Frank Bartleman

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 TRUTHS from AZUSA STREET REVIVAL by Frank Bartleman

One reason for the depth of the work at "Azusa" was the fact that
the workers were not novices. They were largely called and prepared
for years, from the Holiness ranks, and from the mission field, etc.
They had been burnt out, tried and proven. They were largely
seasoned veterans. They had walked with God and learned deeply
of His Spirit. These were pioneers, "shock troops," the Gideon´s
three hundred, to spread the fire around the world. Just as the
disciples had been prepared by Jesus.

We have now taken on a "mixed multitude." And the seeds of
apostacy have had time to work. "First love" has been also
largely lost. The dog has "returned to his vomit" in many cases,
to Babylonic doctrines and practices. An enfeebled mother can
hardly be expected to bring forth healthy children.

The very truths that gave birth to the Pentecostal movement are
today generally rejected as too strong.

A revival almost always begins among the laity. The ecclesiastical
leaders seldom welcome reformation. History repeats itself. The
present leaders are too comfortably situated as a rule to desire
innovation that might require sacrifice on their part. And God's
fire only falls on sacrifice. An empty altar receives no fire!

God has always sought a humble people. He can use no other...
There is always much need of heart preperation, in humility and
separation, before God can consistently come. The depth of
any revival will be determined exactly by the spirit of repentance
that is obtained. In fact, this is key to every true revival born of God.

Men's hearts are being searched...it is a tremendous sifting time,
not only of actions but of inner motives. Nothing can escape the
all-searching eye of God.

2018/4/12 16:07Profile

Re: TRUTHS from AZUSA STREET REVIVAL by Frank Bartleman

"A revival almost always begins among the laity. The ecclesiastical leaders seldom welcome reformation."

This is so true. It is also worth remembering that the revival came in the shadow of a huge earthquake in San Francisco that rocked the whole country. Bartleman was actually physically assaulted because he boldly declared it to be the judgment of God.............bro Frank

2018/4/12 16:18
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Bartleman was actually physically assaulted because he boldly declared it to be the judgment of God

Thank you for sharing this dear brother, those of the flesh war against those of the Spirit.

Could not God do the same thing today, judge in the natural to show His displeasure for sin? I believe we see the judgement of God in the Church with abounding false doctrines, name it claim it, etc.

2018/4/13 5:36Profile
docs

Re: The end of Azusa

I saw a very fine documentary once on the Azusa revival that was produced and filmed by Christians. A black man and brother named William Seymour who was blind in one eye led the revival as the shepherd over the little mission. He had no tolerance for fleshly manifestations and was known to always keep them in check. The revival was still going strong and some brothers, one in particular came to Seymour burdened that the days were so short that no one should marry any longer but remain single and serve God. Seymour did not want it to be preached at Azusa basically because he saw it at the time as not being true. These brothers kept on hounding Seymour so to speak and he continually refused and they eventually got into his office somehow and stole his mailing list. Seymour was a scholar of sorts to a degree and had a newsletter he wrote articles for and sent out to edify the saints. These brothers took this mailing list and mailed out their own admonition to cease marrying because the days and the time before the Lord was to come was short. The divine unity at Azusa had been so precious that this act of betrayal caused the Spirit to leave and the revival ended. By an act of betrayal from brothers wanting to push their revelation regarding ceasing from marrying.

2018/4/13 9:03Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Brother David,

It is strange to me that in Frank Barleman's book "Azusa Street", which is a detailed account of the revival, there is no reference to what you are referring to concerning this mailing list being stolen and this false doctrine being sent out of forbidden to marry, which is a doctrine of devils.

Frank Bartleman said in his book that as long as Brother Seymour remained humbled and the Holy Spirit had the control of the meetings that the revival continued interrupted non stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Bartleman claims that the revival began to decline when men talked Seymour into organizing the revival. When this happened, a "party spirit" and division came in to the work.

"The great battle from the beginning, both in Los Angeles and elsewhere, has been the conflict between the "flesh" and the Spirit, between Ishamel and Isaac." - Frank Bartleman.

2018/4/13 10:23Profile

Re:

Mike writes.....

'Bartleman claims that the revival began to decline when men talked Seymour into organizing the revival. When this happened, a "party spirit" and division came in to the work."

Indeed, that is exactly what I have read on that, and I agree with Bartleman. As for David's story, never ever heard that in all the accounts I have read. ..........bro Frank

2018/4/13 12:44
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: TRUTHS from AZUSA STREET REVIVAL by Frank Bartleman

Frank Bartleman's book was one of the most precious books I ever read. Many things had been said and misquoted about the revival and their key people.

The Pentacostals could never quite shake off the ridicule that other streams of evangelical Christianity threw at them.

The revival started in Wales and soon spread to many areas in the world. We had some influence of this revival in Germany during the turn of the century. Over the course of time some strange manifestations happened. They always accompany true revivals. Sadly a consortium of mainstream evangelical leaders declared this revival as being satanically infested and warned people to stay away from it. This is commonly known as the infamous "Berlin Declaration" They denounced speaking in tongues and prophesy.

The Berlin Declaration was revoked only 100 years later, however, we still feel the effects of this declartion more than 100 years later in evangelical circles.

2018/4/13 17:23Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

“The revival started in Wales and soon spread to many areas in the world. We had some influence of this revival in Germany during the turn of the century. Over the course of time some strange manifestations happened. They always accompany true revivals. Sadly a consortium of mainstream evangelical leaders declared this revival as being satanically infested and warned people to stay away from it. This is commonly known as the infamous "Berlin Declaration" They denounced speaking in tongues and prophesy. “

Brother,

I am glad that you shared this fact that in every true revival, the enemy will attempt to discredit the revival through counterfeit manifestations. The Church must discern the true from the false and not throw the baby out with the bath water.

2018/4/14 8:37Profile
docs

Re:

Hi bros,

I've never read Bartleman's account. Rather I am just going by what I remember from a documentary I saw about Azusa street many years ago. I had the documentarty tape itself for a few years. It seemed to be well researched. I can believe also though that it is likely that a attempt to organize the revival came to naught and party spirits of division arose.

2018/4/14 11:13Profile
docs

Re:

I found a bit of history about Seymour and his life and the happenings at Azusa Street. In the article the event and controversy of Seymour's mailing list being used against him is mentioned.

http://godsgenerals.com/williamseymour/

2018/4/14 11:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy