SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Principle of the Cross

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

The Principle of the Cross

“The Son can do nothing of Himself” (John 5:19)
There was a revolution in my life thirty years ago when that principle of the Cross came flat up against ministry - ministry that for years I had been producing - against all my study, reading and late nights, to get up the stuff for ministry, till the whole thing became an intolerable burden in myself. Others perhaps thought it to be pretty good, but the crisis when - listen to me, men and women who are in ministry, or contemplating it - the whole turn came upon the recognition of this principle, this principle of the Cross when, with the door closed, I said to the Lord 'I am finished in all ministry, I am never going to preach again unless You do something now. I have been doing it all these years; I have been producing this, now I am finished. You have got to do it.' But I saw that principle, you see, as the principle of the Cross and I meant it.

Forgive me speaking of myself, but I must bring this home in some way. The next week would have seen my resignation in with my church officers, and I would have gone out from ministry if the Lord had not done it. But the Lord was true to His own principle. It was an utter end of anything that I could produce for ministry, and I meant it to be like that, because I recognized that God meant that. That was the principle of the Cross - nothing out from ourselves. No fruit that labour and study of the mind and heart could produce has a way through in the work and service of God. God was true to His own principle - He always is. From that day to this, there has been no trouble about ministry. It is easy to let ministry go, and much more easy than to accept it. This clamouring for ministry - it is uncrucified flesh. Well, there has been an open heaven since then. Again I beg your forgiveness for making this personal reference, but this is a true thing. It is a principle which covers all the ground.

Some of you here are interested in, and concerned with, local assemblies. What are your difficulties in that matter? Probably your first difficulty is relatedness and fellowship, getting even two leaders to be absolutely one - and as for three...! And when you get beyond that, ah yes! But there is a solution. There is a solution. That can be. It can gloriously be, and it can last, and it can grow, if only you will plant that thing right upon this basis of the Cross, where, in each one concerned, all that is personal goes out. All that is merely individualistic is buried, crucified; all your personal likes and dislikes and preferences and all that sort of thing, where you come into the picture either to be something or to do something, it simply goes out, and it matters not at all whether you figure in the business. You see what happens when that position is reached! The church grows then. And that principle, I say again, applies to every detail of life and service, and to all God's purpose with Christians individually and collectively. The Cross is the law of life, the way of life, and the way to fulness of life.

Excerpt from:
The Cross and the Way of Life
by T. Austin-Sparks

2018/3/30 6:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy