SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pope Francis says there is no hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Re:

Catholic Church has denied this article. So it is not a trusted source. I personally feel it will be good not to discuss about this news as it is not from a trusted source.

2018/3/29 16:39Profile
savannah

Re: Pope Francis says there is no hell?

Todd,

Why not speak plainly and tell the SI forum that you agree with the Pope!

2018/3/29 17:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Next week's headline: "Pope: Gravity is an illusion."
Next month's headline: "Pope: I'm a bird, I'm a plane, I can fly."

2018/3/29 17:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Why not speak plainly and tell the SI forum that you agree with the Pope!//

Why in the world would I do that?

2018/3/29 17:48Profile
savannah

Re: why

Todd,

Do you believe in the eternal punishment/torment of hell spoken of in the Bible, in which the person in hell is conscious of where they are for all eternity?

2018/3/29 17:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I sum up the biblical evidence and support as follows:

1) eternal conscious torment: possible but not probable

2) evangelical universal reconciliation: possible but not probable

3). Conditional immortality: possible and probable

4) universalism (no hell, everybody goes to heaven): not possible

2018/3/29 18:58Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

todd: Well, methinks you got some splaining to do Lucy!

This reminds me of the time when I joined a staunchly reformed group on facebook. The first time I said "I speak in tongues a lot" in a few short hours.......
Cut to the scene in Patton, where Patton has his first tank battle with Rommel; this mildly comprehends what took place.
Result? I didnt have to defend myself long, they kicked me out.

Way to start the weekend.

I've never heard of the term evangelical universal reconciliation.

Care to elaborate?

2018/3/29 20:46Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Nigel:

If a person does not believe in eternal punishment, but the usual annihilation, or non-existence...my usual reply is.

Then if sin has no eternal consequences, and the worst of sinners will matter of factly never face justice ( because there is no such thing as punishment of a non-existent entity) The necessity for becoming a Christian, for fearing God, or for regretting any of your sin is all mute.

Becoming a Christian is exactly the same as joining a club you prefer, its a preference to be a Christian and that preference is simply because there are benefits for me.
Otherwise, If I don't want to join the club I can in all reality destroy the world itself and all that it contains and I would not suffer as much as a paper cut.

There are few doctrines once removed from the pulpit that are as effective to display a false god, a false gospel and a false church as the removal of the doctrine of hell/eternal conscious punishment.

2018/3/29 21:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//todd: Well, methinks you got some splaining to do Lucy!//

Greg does not allow discussion/explanation of the alternative views of the fate of the wicked. Therefore that puts me at a distinct disadvantage.

But I will say that I have studied this for several years and I will tell you that nothing frustrates me more than flippant dismissals because folks who do so generally have no idea what they are talking about.

When I say evangelical universal reconciliation I do so to distinguish it from what most people think of when they hear the term universalism, namely that there is no hell and everyone just goes to heaven.

To summarize greatly, Universal Reconciliation holds that hell is real , the torment is real, but that the punishment is remedial and ultimately, given enough time, those in hell will repent. Of course this means that this view allows for the possibility of post-mortem repentance.

I am not going to provide support for any of the alternate views because Greg has previously stated he does not want this on the forum and I will comply with that. Besides there is a plethora of readily available resources should a person wish to look into it. Edward Fudge and Clark Pinnock (and many others) support Conditional Immortality; Thomas Thayer ( and many others) write in support of Universal Reconciliation.

2018/3/29 21:22Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Very cool Todd, thanks. I'll look into those authors.

I thought Rob Bell, held to something as you mention here Universal reconciliation?

Thanks for the clarification and thanks for helping me steer clear of dragging you into taboo areas.

My wife was raised Seventh day Adventist, they have a soul sleep, annihilation position, my wife was resistant to my point of view for years which resulted in many conversations.

My Father in Law was of the same opinion as my wife and he took me all over scripture in my younger years as a new-er believer. (When you get married you find out not all doctrinal positions come out when dating)

I was a resolute hell-fire guy to begin with; and after all those debates, conversations, bible studies and books I had to read I ended up becoming as certain of it as I am of Salvation by grace.

Over the years I have written more than I can count about the subject by reason of dissenters challenging my interpretation.

Thanks again for being candid.

2018/3/29 23:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy