SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Testimony of Leah Sharibu Who Will not Deny Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Testimony of Leah Sharibu Who Will not Deny Jesus

From Voice of the Persecuted.......

" I will not deny Jesus Christ."
Leah Sharibu.

As Holy Week begins and we prepare for Resurrection Sunday, a 15 yr. old girl from North Nigeria is standing firm while clinging to Christ in a Boko Haram terrorist camp. Leah Sharibu, Liya in the Hausa language, was among over 100 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents from a school in Dapchi, Northern Nigeria on Feb. 19. The militants released 104 of the schoolgirls on March 22, 2018, with the exception of Leah, the only Christian in the group. Boko Haram members gave Leah an option to gain her freedom, renounce her Christian faith and become a Muslim. However, she refused to deny her faith in Jesus Christ and Leah is still being held captive by the Boko Haram,

During interview with a soldier, one of the released girls relayed information about Leah.

Q. Where is that Christian girl (Leah)?
Dapchi Schoolgirl: We left her there.

Q. why?
Dapchi Schoolgirl: It’s because she refuses to be a Moslem.
Q. Was she crying while you were leaving?
Dapchi Schoolgirl: Yes, I even begged Leah to accept Islam but she refused and said she can’t live with herself if she came back. So she will not that its better to be killed by Boko Haram.

There’s one old man from Damaturu who is also a Boko Haram that brings us water. He also asked Leah to convert to Islam but she said “no.” Where by the news reached to their commander that there is one Christian girl that refused to accept Islam so they brought her before him. She repeated the same thing, and he said “we will kill you.” He showed her one temporary zinc and ordered her to go and sit inside.

Press Statements from the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) President & ECWA President called for her immediate release from an unjust Boko Haram captivity. They sent out a call to prayer in all Churches on the 25th that should continue until her release.

Naturally, the news of the girls release brought great joy for many parents. Though Leah’s parents are happy for the others, they’re grieved ;;

The following is a portion of the transcript of interview with Leah’s parents shared on Facebook “I AM LEAH” (A page dedicated to Leah)

Leah’s Father

IAMLEAH Interviewer: What message do you have for your daughter?

Father: I want Leah from now henceforth not to deny Christ in any situation of suffering and I want her to endure with what she started to the end.

IAMLEAH Interviewer: What’s your message to the government?

Father: I am pleading for the government to do the right thing and help, as they do before, for bringing the rest to their parents, to do so to our daughter.

IAMLEAH Interviewer: What’s your message to those that are praying for Leah?

Father: I want the Christians to continue praying for Leah, for it is because of the Christians’ faith in prayers that is why Leah stands in the faith, and I want the Christians not only to pray for Leah, but also the family.

Leah’s Mother

#IAMLEAH Interviewer: How do you feel about Leah’s courage?
Mother: I am happy because Leah is doing the right thing. Even if they shoot Leah there, we believe that she will be with Christ Jesus.

#IAMLEAH Interviewer: What does Leah want to become in the future?
Mother: Leah wants to be a scientist. She always wants to read science.

IAMLEAH Interviewer: What’s your message to the terrorists?

Mother: I said that even if we are told today that they’ve shot Leah, I thank God that Leah is still Christian, and that one day I will see her again.

IAMLEAH Interviewer: What message to those praying for Leah?

Mother: May God accept and answer all their prayers.

The courage of this young girl is touching not only those in Nigeria, but globally. Christians are taking notice of her strength of faith and examining their own.

I have been silent on the issue of the kidnap, and the release of some of the victims yesterday. I just decided to pray more in this season and trust God to help our nation. However, couldn’t hold my peace when the news of the only Christian girl amongst the kidnapped victims wasn’t released because she refused to recant and deny her faith in Jesus Christ, as her Lord and Saviour. Am not here to talk about the politics or the drama involved in the whole saga, but to talk to Christians and the Christendom in Nigeria.
I am of the opinion that, if a fifteen (15) years old girl in the far northeast, with very little knowledge of our so called ‘revelations of the Bible’, access to our various and sophisticated study materials, tapes, audios, Christian channels etc; even our ultramodern buildings and gadgets can refuse to deny Jesus, even though that was the only condition giving to her to secure her freedom. And she willingly risked her life for her faith, then we really need to ask ourselves again, “what did she believe”? “Can what we claim to have believed produce the same kind of conviction, boldness and courage”? Especially, we pastors, can we boast of such quality of a disciple as the product of our messages and tutelage?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i think this girl’s action is an indictment on us, and should send a very urgent message to us as a whole. It is a call to introspection! Let us look inward again, to reevaluate our motives and messages. No wonder it seems that darkness became powerful in Nigeria overnight or all of a sudden? No, it is either we have built wrongly or majored in the minor!!
Let our Christianity not only be bogous and loud, let it also have depth. Churches everywhere, yet no depth. It is time to launch into the deep; for deep calleth into the deep now!!!
I am personally praying first, for myself, reevaluating to see if what i have believed can deny Jesus in the face of death or endure to the end. Oh Lord, help your Church in Nigeria and the world at large. Please, lets keep praying for her, for strength, courage and ultimate release.
I see an end time army rising, a breed without greed, the remnant that hasn’t bowed to Baal; they will deculturize the present terrain. Yea, i see a new Nigeria! Selah!!
It seems Christians are more willing to suffer for their faith in places where they are minorities. Liya (Leah) Sharibu, the only Christian among the kidnapped Dapchi schoolgirls, was held back by Boko Haram reportedly because she refused to be forcefully converted to Islam. A little girl is willing to pay the ultimate price for her faith. This is a country where Christians have reduced their faith to collecting anointing oil and anointed handkerchiefs for “miracles”. We are more fired up by prayers and testimonies over contracts, cars and mansions. Liya has thrown a challenge: there is something deeper worth living and dying for. Vanities. – –
Another Shedrach Meshach and Abednego in Nigeria. Dare to be a Daniel.
On Monday, President Muhammadu Buhari hosted the family of late activist Martin Luther King Jr. in the State House, Abuja. Naomi Barbara King, presented the president with the first Black History Month National Black Excellence and Exceptional African Leadership Award.

Prof. Iyorwuese Hagher, former Nigeria’s Ambassador to Mexico, shared an article titled, “Leah Sharibu: The Shaming Of A Nation”

March 26, 2018 one of the biggest historical ironies of all time took place at Aso Rock, Abuja. His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari hosted the family members of Martin Luther King Jr. the World’s greatest champion of freedom, justice and equality ever known.

The timing and the optics were hilarious at best, but deeply ominous. While Dr. Mrs. Naomi Barbara King was posing with the Nigerian President and turning her cheek for a presidential kiss, in far away North Eastern Nigeria, a defiant fourteen year school girl child, Leah Sharibu, was left in the hands of her captors, the dreaded behemoth of evil called Boko Haram: vicious blustering, gloating and imperious terrorists.

Her schoolmates, her school and her government abandoned Leah. Alone in the hands of her captors, Leah did not flinch nor beg for mercy but defiantly refused to convert to Islam from her Christian faith. Her God alone is with her now as she faces death, threats of death, slavery, or other horrendous possibilities of mutilation, defilement, and transgression.

Each second is life and death to this child while the nation gleefully celebrates the return of her Muslim mates and the government congratulates itself.

The shame of the nation is that we are too blind and too deaf and dumb to perceive that a star is born, a new World icon of no less significance than Martin Luther King Jr. Rosa Parks, and Malala Yousafzai, whose actions and conduct changed the World. The Christians who are clamoring for the speedy release of Leah have sadly missed the point. She is now also a symbol of defiance of the moderate Muslims too who are against extremism. Leah is now a World icon. The whole World should rise up and demand for her release. Read more

In regards to the article, one man shared his frustration with the government and what he believed to be a plan using Boko Haram and the Fulani Herdsmen to increase the spread of Islam in the nation. He was also disturbed by the Church body as a whole.

The silence of Christians over the very True CHILD OF GOD, Leah Sharibu’s agony in the den of terrorists exposes the kind of Christians we have. Has any met with Buhari to appeal to him for her freedom? Has any asked Christians to fast and pray for her freedom? Funny enough some churches are promising her scholarship and property in port Harcour.

Who ever gives Buhari peace award needs to delete the meaning of peace from the Dictoinary. Bloody peace or starvation peace? The Martin Luther family has just told the world that they have sold honour and fame for a pot of porridge.

Christians and all Nigerians must reexamine our consciences and values. We may be a brood of vipers or better still new generations of Pharisees. For the Nigerian government and its expansionist wars for the spread of Islam covertly, it is God’s will that will [be] done, not man’s.—

Her mother also shared that her daughter told her schoolmates that if they made it home successfully, they should inform her parents to continue to help her pray for God to protect her and bring her home safely as well; that whether she survived or not, she still needed prayers.

PLEASE pray with us for Leah and share her story with others, be her voice. Ask your church and prayer teams to join with you in lifting this courageous little sister up to the Lord. Let’s continue to pray until she is released!

Posted by Blaine Scogin

2018/3/27 22:49

Re: The Testimony of Leah Sharibu

Link to video by International Christian Concern about Leah Sharibu.

https://youtu.be/O08ucPI6FDs

Blaine

2018/3/27 23:39

Re: Have You Considered My Servant.......

Job 1:8

Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant.......

1 Corithians 1:27

Instead, God has chosen what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen what is weak in the world to shame the strong.

In the last several hours a young Christian woman has been catapulted into the center of a cosmic struggle. For those of us in America and in this forum it is easy to miss the significance of what is taking place in Nigeria. At the center is a young sister in Christ who has refused release from her captors so that she may not renounce her faith in Christ.

Many, even Christians, are denouncing the decision of this young woman who is standing for Jesus. They are saying that her decision is foolish and she should have converted to Islam to be with her parents. But another story is beginning to unfold.

Nigerian pastors who formerly were nominal or shallow in their faith walk with Christ are beginning to look at their own faith.  Some are beginning to question would they have the faith to do what this dear sister in Christ has done. Would they have the courage to accept the consequences of not denying Christ and confessing him.  Even before their enemies.

A few years ago a VOM missionary wrote about the saints in Nigeria who stood for Christ.  The brother commented that these precious brothers and sisters may not be able to articulate the finer points of the Calvinist/Arminian debates. But when a jihadists comes to them swinging a machete and say recite the Islamic shahada and swear to the god of Islam. But the Nigerian Believers will say that "No Jesus is Lord"  The missionary said suddenly their theology becomes very deep.

Thousands of books have been written on the cross of Christ and living for Jesus. Leah Sharibu, a young fifteen-year-old Christian sister, is walking it out by her life. All of the written theology pales in comparison to the testimony of this dear sister.  While many right about the theology of the cross. This dear sister is showing what the cross of Christ is about.

Though deeply grieved, her parents are jubilant that this dear sister is standing for Christ.  One of her young Muslim schoolmates who was released commented that Leah said she could not convert to Islam.  Leah went on to comment that if she converted to Islam she could not live with herself.

The testimony of this dear sister is causing some in Nigeria to examine their walk with Christ. Should it not cause us in America to examine our walk with Christ.

Only God knows what the outcome of what awaits this dear sister. But it is causing some in Nigeria and even around the world to examine their walk with Christ. And that includes myself.

May God continue to have mercy on this dear sister. For already what the devil has meant for evil God is using for good. Whatever awaits this dear sister. In the end Christ and Christ alone will be glorified.

Let us remember Leah Sharibu. Let us keep this dear sister in our prayers. Let her testimony speak to our hearts.

Blaine Scogin 

2018/3/28 7:18
Jeremy221

Re:

I was greatly encouraged and provoked by Liya’s testimony but not the comment on the end by the assumingly Nigerian pastor. The mother’s command to not forsake Christ at any cost was also encouraging. Just last night I was watching a talk by a Hasidic NYC rabbi and when talking about maturity, he shared a story of young Hasidic children who faithfully kept from breaking the sabbath when they were forced to attend school on Saturdays by all sorts of means while living in the Soviet Bloc. They too were raised to never abandon their faith or brethren. This gives hope that there are saints in Nigeria already raising their children in the truth and the reality of what it takes to stand in pursecution.

2018/3/28 12:00Profile

what a great example Leah Sharibu is...

I want to be like her too when persecution will began in the west...

2018/3/28 13:36

Re:

Evanheline writes...

"I want to be like her too when persecution will began in the west..."

Sister may not be the desire of all of our hearts.

Blaine

2018/3/28 16:45

Re:

Jeremy writes...

"but not the comment on the end by the assumingly Nigerian pastor.:

Brother I"m afraid I'm missing something here. Can you please reference the comment by the pastor? Not to be argumentative but I can't find what you're referencing in the OP.

Blaine

2018/3/28 16:48
Jeremy221

Re:

Aren’t the last 500 words or so by a Nigerian pastor? The writer refers to himself as a pastor and calls Nigeria his own country. Don’t you see anything off about what he said?

2018/3/28 17:05Profile

Re:

Got to go back and look at it again bro. Will post my answer as soon as I read it.

Blaine

2018/3/28 17:20

Re:

Jeremy

I went back and looked at the last part of the OP. It appears there is a Nigerian pastor who is sharing his frustrations with the Nigerian government's inability or failure to release the Christian sister still imprisoned by the Boko Haram.

I am not defending the pastor. But this is Nigeria. I'm associated with a Ministry that has a mission there. The corruption of the Nigerian government and even of the south Nigerian church is well-known among the persecuted brethren to the north. In many ways the Nigerian Church makes the mega churches in America look like saints. Also many believe that the Nigerian government is in collusion with the Boko Haram.

I'm guessing. And mind you I'm only guessing. This pastor may be sharing his frustrations with a Nigerian government and the Nigerian Church in the corruption he sees.

I know a sister who has connections there. I will ask her about the last part of the article and see if I can post some clarity.

I don't know brother if this clarifies. But realize Nigeria is a different country from America. Corruption in that nation is far more widespread there then what we see here in America.

I don't know if this clarifies the pastor's comments. But perhaps you see something different than what I'm trying to address. Feel free to elaborate.

Blaine

2018/3/28 17:33

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy