SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anybody else a biker, too? Cruised the Blue Ridge Pkwy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Anybody else a biker, too? Cruised the Blue Ridge Pkwy

Shalom,
Rode 1532 miles in 5 days. Visited my brother's murder site in Blair, TN.
Met a Preacher on a SilverWing Honda on Mt Mitchell in NC; his prayers were a help at a later singing gig re Thomas the doubting disciple!

10 best list re 2005 bike trip:

10. Best fried chicken, onion rings and string beans I ever ate in Jax, VA
on the last day.

9. Got a bit sunburned on Mt Mitchell, NC, although we saw snow in a shady
ditch on Mt Balsam earlier.

8. First ride in my life on a Harley big twin hog, and my turn was on the
Low Rider with the windshield when it got chilly going up Mt Mitchell.

7. No sore butt from my Sabre after 1523 miles in 5 days! A fairing would be
nice and my hands got sore, but no complaints considering my finances and
her age. VA is a buggy state, TN the roughest roads.

6. Mostly friendly people the whole trip. Made up for the lame motels.

5. Fragrance of the fir trees and other flora above 5000' in the Smokies and
the NC portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

4. We dodged all the rain that mattered. What great weather! Taking refuge
from the big storm with my niece and nephew in TN was fun.

3. I was allowed to ride the Harley Davidson V-Rod for nearly 40 miles down
from Mt Mitchell until I said goodbye to everyone and split off to head
north; simply the finest vehicle of any type that I have ever driven.

2. No accidents or mishaps for me or my fellow travelers, and with all the
miles covered, and all the folks who had not rode for awhile, and with all
the challenging curves and new places, that is a blessing only surpassed by.

1. Being reunited with my dear old friends for one of the happiest times of
my life. I will always be in their debt.

2005/6/28 10:43Profile

Re: Anybody else a biker, too? Cruised the Blue Ridge Pkwy

I'm not a biker, but you may have passed me on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, NC. I drive on a 5 mile portion of it every day between Rt 191 (on the French Broad River) over to Rt 25. I go up to Mount Mitchell a lot to go rock climbing, and my house is within 10 miles of Mount Pisgah... where you get a beautiful view of Cold Mountain.

I hope you enjoyed our little scenic part of the world!

Krispy

2005/6/28 11:02
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

I did.
I think what I have seen of Appalachia in NC and VA is prettier than what I had growing up in Oak Ridge, TN.
God put beauty everywhere, tho, so I am blessed.
And His providence and mercy sustained me in NC, and it has everywhere; I just do not always accept it... :-x

2005/6/28 11:16Profile

Re:

You grew up in Oak Ridge, eh? You dont have 3 eyes or anything wierd like that, do ya? Did you grow 300 pound cucumbers when you were a kid??

LOL

(Only people from around here will understand the inside humor...)

Krispy

2005/6/28 11:34
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Oak Ridge

:-P
My youngest glows a bit, but he is from San Diego!
Yeah, like a Simpson's fish...

When young, I used our town's involvement in Nuclear arms to help deceive myself when I fell away from the church, digging myself an even deeper hole to be Saved from!

While visiting my neice in TN, she and a girlfreind swore to me they'd protect their virginity and wait for marraige. That was as pretty as Cold Mt! :smart:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
You grew up in Oak Ridge, eh? You dont have 3 eyes or anything wierd like that, do ya? Did you grow 300 pound cucumbers when you were a kid??

LOL

(Only people from around here will understand the inside humor...)

Krispy

2005/6/28 11:47Profile

Re: Oak Ridge

Quote:
While visiting my neice in TN, she and a girlfreind swore to me they'd protect their virginity and wait for marraige.

Not sure I'm for swearing oaths... but that sounds great.

Krispy

2005/6/28 13:43
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

My girlfriend and I went to Lake Lure this past Saturday just outside of Ashville, and we saw a lot of bikers at one point... perhaps some of them were you? Small world.

2005/6/28 13:51Profile

Re:

There is a biker bar/restaraunt there in Lake Lure right across the street from the beach front. Thats probably what you're talking about, KingJimmy? It's called Margaritaville Grill & Cantina. They have some great food there.

There used to be an incredible BBQ place a mile up the road from Lake Lure, in Chimney Rock called The Cajun Pig. Live bluegrass music, and the absolute best BBQ anywhere. You could even get BBQ lamb. Last year an arson burned the place to the ground. I hear they are gonna rebuild soon tho.

You from around here, KingJimmy?

Krispy

2005/6/28 13:57

Re:

I just saw on your profile you're from the Charlotte area, correct? Huntersville?

I hope you went to Lake Lure on Saturday... the weather was miserable on Sunday.

Krispy

2005/6/28 13:58
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Yes, my girlfriend and I noticed Margaritaville. We immediately thought of a friend of ours who is a big Jimmy Buffet fan. The Bikers didn't look like your typical black leather/chain type bikers, looked a little more sophisticated. But, being that the entire Lake Lure/Chimney Rock town is a giant tourist trap, that didn't come as too big a shocker.

The BBQ place sounds great. We ate at a BBQ place in Hickory called FireBonz, some pretty good stuff. My girlfriend and I went to Chimney Rock last November, but I'm not sure I recall that place. The only food place I distinctly recall from Chimney Rock was a fish-camp place I believe was named after your handle :)

Perhaps they will rebuild. I hope so. My girlfriend and I love that Chimney Rock area, it was where we first decided to start dating officially. We hope to get back up there one more time this year. I'd like to go on one of the dinner cruises they offer. When we were at Lake Lure this Saturday we thought it would be pretty cool should we get married one day that this would become a frequent vacation spot. I came across some nice little private log cabins on through the Lake Lure web site that looks like they'd make for a nice little honeymoon place.

I'm from Huntersville, NC, which is just 15 miles north of Charlotte.

2005/6/28 14:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy