Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jehovah, thy God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roman

Jehovah, thy God

Quote:

"the name of ‘Jehovah, thy God’. This is a reference to people who while being with the covenant ..." (with God).

This a quote is from Philologos, from an old thread "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit."

May I ask:

1)Is this saying that whenever Jehovah is used, it is in connection to the people (Israelites) who are in covenant with God?

2)From our English translation, is there a way to tell whether Jehovah is used and not other names of God?

3)What does the other names of God imply?

In Christ,
Roman

2005/6/28 1:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Jehovah, thy God

roman
1. there is most often a 'covenant' connection when the name Jehovah is used.
2. Whenever, in the OT (KJV), you find LORD or GOD is upper case letters it means the word behind it is Jehovah. The KJV uses the word Jehovah 4 times I think. The Hebrew uses it almost 7000 times.
3. which ones?

2005/6/28 11:54Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The central passage to the name Jehovah is found in Exodus 6.“Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land. And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD: And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them. And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers. And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.

Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, [u]I am the LORD[/u], and [u]I will[/u] bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and [u]I will[/u] rid you out of their bondage, and [u]I will[/u] redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments: And [u]I will[/u] take you to me for a people, and [u]I will[/u] be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. And [u]I will[/u] bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and [u]I will[/u] give it you for an heritage: [u]I am the LORD[/u].” (Ex. 6:1-8, KJVS)
You will find here 7 categoric statements that God promises under His name of Jehovah. This is God's 'mission statement' which He signs before and after with his name Jehovah. If you think slowly through these statements you will discover the New Testament equivalent in the life and ministry of Jesus.

2005/6/28 13:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy