SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Unconditional love - Really?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Yes, Christ set the example.

The right understanding of Gods love will lead us into biblical and effective evangelism.

Ro 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

This universal love to sinners is expressed in Christ crucified only. It only becomes personal upon your repentance, believe and subsequent baptism.

It is unbiblical to say to non-believers: You are special to God, he loves you as you are, just accept his love for you. Just say a little prayer and you are forever secure, job done.
A wrong approach to evangelism leads to pseudo-converts. They are goats who always need to be driven and entertained. These cannot endure sound teaching and will turn against you when you preach about self-denial, suffering and enduring hardships.

I would say the biblical way is something like this: We are all born sinners and continue to sin against our fellow man created in God's image and an against a just, holy and almighty God. We deserve eteral damnation for that, but we can escape it. Do not go on sinning, for God commands everyone to repent and believe in his Christ crucified. He will take away your sins, justifies you gives you eternal live. You must continue to follow him and his Holy Spirit helps you all along your walk with him.

2018/3/14 16:57Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi narrowpath,

I agree with the essence of what you're saying. At the same time, I do believe that God personally loves each person whether they are a believer or not. After all, we love Him because He first loved us.

I don't believe that God saw the world as a faceless, impersonal entity when Jesus said that "God so loved the world that....WHOSOEVER..."

The words and message of the third chapter of John are explicit in calling for belief AND repentance.

Jesus was speaking directly to Nicodemus the Pharisee ("Verily, verily, I say unto THEE..."). Nicodemus was not born again (at least not yet). This is the purpose of our Lord's message.

Despite of the love that God had for the world and the fact that He sent His Son into the world and the fact that the Son is the only way by which mankind can be saved, there was still a call for repentance.

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 3:15-21

The fact that people must turn to Christ and repent doesn't negate the love that God has for each of us. I stress the word "each" because that is how I believe that the eyes of the Lord see the whole earth. Each person matters to him because he is love.

Consider the words of I John 4:7-9...

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

I John 4:7-11

This well-known passage references the notion that "God is love" and that "herein is love" that God sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. This reinforces the idea that God sent His son -- motivated by love -- while we were yet sinners.

Of course, all of the love in the universe cannot stop the judgment of God. This is why I believe that, when we come to Christ and repent, our love is made perfect.

2018/3/14 18:28Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy