Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

The Holy Spirit

‘May not a single moment of my life be spent outside the light, love and joy of God’s presence and not a moment without the entire surrender of myself as a vessel for Him to fill full of His Spirit and His love.’ – Andrew Murray

2018/2/16 22:35Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Purpose of the Holy Spirit

Eph. 3:14-19(NASB) –

14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,

15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,

16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,

17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,

18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,

19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

2018/2/16 22:36Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Purpose of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit

1 Cor. 14:12 --

NASB
So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.

ESV
So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

This is God’s heart for the church:

Eph. 4:11-16 –

11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,

12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;

13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;

15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,

16 from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

2018/2/16 22:39Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Be Filled with the Spirit

Eph. 5:18 -- ……be filled with the Spirit……

Excerpts from Andrew Murray’s book, “The Spirit of Christ”:

In a country like South Africa, where we often suffer from drought, we find two sorts of dams or reservoirs made for catching up and storing water. On some farms you have a fountain, but with a stream too weak to irrigate with. There a reservoir is made for collecting the water, and the filling of the reservoir is the result of the gentle, quiet inflow from the fountain day and night. In other cases, again, the farm has no fountain at all; the reservoir is built in the bed of a stream or in a hollow where, when rain falls, the water can be collected. In such a place, the filling of the reservoir, with a heavy fall of rain, is often the work of a very few hours, and is accompanied with a rush and violence not free from danger. The noiseless supply of the former farm is, at the same time, the surer, because the supply, though apparently feeble, is permanent; in tracts where the rainfall is uncertain, a reservoir may stand empty for months or years.

There is the same difference in the way in which the fulness of the Spirit comes. On the day of Pentecost, at times when new beginnings are made, in the outpouring of the Spirit of conversion in heathen lands, or of revival among Christian people, suddenly, mightily, manifestly, men are filled with the Holy Ghost. In the enthusiasm and the joy of the newly found salvation, the power of the Spirit is undeniably present. And yet, for those who receive it thus, there are special dangers. The blessing is often too much dependent on the fellowship with others, or extends only to the upper and more easily reached currents of the soul's life: the sudden is often the superficial; the depths of the will and the inner life have not been reached. Other Christians there are who have never been partakers of any such marked experience, and in whom, nevertheless, the fulness of the Spirit is no less distinctly seen in the deep and intense devotion to Jesus, in a walk in the light of His countenance and the consciousness of His Holy presence, in the blamelessness of a life of simple trust and obedience, and in the humility of a self- sacrificing love to all around. They have their types in what Barnabas was: 'a son of consolation, a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost.'

And which of these is now the true way of being filled with the Spirit? The answer is easy. There are farms on which both the above-named reservoirs are to be found, auxiliary to each other. There are even reservoirs, where the situation is favourable, in which both the modes of filling are made use of. The regular, quiet, daily inflowing keeps them supplied in time of great drought; in time of rain they are ready to receive and store up large supplies. There are Christians who are not content but with special mighty visitations: the rushing mighty wind, floods outpoured, and the baptism of fire-these are their symbols. There are others to whom the fountain springing up from within, and quietly streaming forth, appears the true type of the Spirit's work. Happy they who can recognise God in both, and hold themselves always ready to be blessed in whichever way He comes.

0 my God! Thy fulness of love and of glory is like a boundless ocean-infinite and inconceivable. I bless Thee that, in revealing Thy Son, it pleased Thee that all the fulness of the Godhead should dwell in Him bodily, that in Him we might see that fulness in human life and weakness. I bless Thee that His Church on earth is even now, in all its weakness, His body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all; that in Him we are made full; that by the mighty working of Thy Spirit, and the indwelling of Thy Son, and the knowledge of Thy love, we may be filled to all the fulness of God.

Blessed Father! I thank Thee that the Holy Spirit is to us the bearer of the Fulness of Jesus, and that in being filled with the Spirit we are made full with that Fulness. I thank thee that there, have been men on earth since Pentecost, not a few, of whom Thou hast seen that they were full of the Holy Ghost. 0 my God ! make me full. Let the Holy Spirit take and keep possession of my deepest, inmost life. Let Thy Spirit fill my spirit.

Let thence the fountain flow through all the soul's affections and powers. Let it flow over and flow out through my lips, speaking Thy praise and love. Let the very body, by the quickening and sanctifying energy of the Spirit, be Thy temple, full of the Life Divine. Lord my God! I believe Thou hearest me. Thou hast given it me-; I accept it as mine.

Oh, grant that throughout Thy Church the Fulness of the Spirit may be sought and found, may be known and proved. Lord Jesus our glorified King, oh, let Thy Church be full of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

2018/2/16 22:44Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Christless Pentecost

Sermon: CHRISTLESS PENTECOST by David Wilkerson

Part 1: http://ia800502.us.archive.org/9/items/SERMONINDEX_SID0317/SID0317.mp3

Part 2: http://ia800504.us.archive.org/7/items/SERMONINDEX_SID0318/SID0318.mp3

“The primary work of the Holy Spirit is not fellowship. It is not ecstasy. It is not to teach you an unlearned tongue. The Spirit has come to exalt Christ, to bring all mankind to the truth that Christ alone is Lord. The Spirit is not joy……not peace……not comfort……not truth. Christ is.”

“Christ is going to come again and reveal to the church a new kind of prosperity preaching and I believe there is a new kind of prosperity preaching already being preached to the land. It is moving away from anything that is material and it is coming now to reveal the true riches of God in Christ Jesus. Hallelujah!”

2018/2/18 2:52Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Christless Pentecost

I want a Christ-filled Pentacost!

If it's Christ I will have people speaking in tongues, not seeking to 'get past them' to something more advanced. Youre not going to advance beyond the counsel of scripture that tell us to seek the spiritual gifts. For some tongues might be the 'better' gift.
How about a preaching that concerns itself with true riches? I agree, what did pentacost bring to the body of Christ? It brought the infilling of the Spirit of God for the proclamation of the gospel, for the supernatural working of the Spirit through us, for the perfection of our lives in godliness and true holiness.

Christian maturity is not gained by forsaking the gifts of God or by relegating Pentacost to an 'early church event', it is believing Paul's teaching and refusing the teachings from others that deny the Corinthian letter contains right now instructions on how to edify yourself and the Church supernaturally. I mean supernaturally, deep theology is needed and I seek to know and teach it, but deep theology is not a substitute for the supernatural manifestation of God's Spirit in me and in others.
Deep theology asserts a necessity for it's own existence and propagation; the Holy Spirit asserts the necessity of his manifestations through us for the Churches sake.

Pitting 'deep theology' against Charismata is a devilish ploy, it seeks to divide up the believers by asserting one has truth and the other has human-contrivances. Both camps now fabricate reasons to maintain their divisions so that both Charismata stays safe and sound doctrine is not lost.

Who will teach us sound doctrine and yet be available for the supernatural manifestation of God's Spirit? I don't know, I do believe who is unlikely to do both; that person is the one who actually believes he must sacrifice doctrine to maintain the supernatural and the one who must sacrifice the supernatural to maintain sound doctrine.

Quick Apollos is preaching, let us hear the great orator and marvel at the wisdom coming from him. No! says another, let us go to meet Paul, he has cast out devils, and taken up the dead and brought life, we know he speaks in tongues more than we all.
Ah says another, if you would both stop following man and follow only Jesus then you would be on the right path.

But the wisdom of God says. I cor 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's;
23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

Why are all things ours?

1 cor 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

Oh, so we are one planting of the Lord? Yes. So we are all God's building? Yes, So if its doctrinal its mine, if its supernatural it's mine right? Yes.

So Paul is mine, Apollos is mine, Jesus is mine, the Kingdom of God is mine, the whole Church is mine, the Promises of God are mine, the Commandments of God are mine all blessings in heavenly places are mine. What part of the true riches do I lack?

I lack every part that I have deemed unnecessary in order to maintain what I do have.

Are you saying I forsake Apollos in order to keep Paul? Yes. Why? Because you were told contrary to scripture that if you were to have fellowship with Paul, you must part with Apollos. That is terrible! Yes.

What must I do to be in fellowship with both?
Reconcile yourself to them both, do not allow either of their followers to tell you God has two plantings, two temples, two Churches. He only has one, and that one he purchased with his own blood. What God has joined together let no man put asunder. You are bound to one another by the same Spirit, demonstrated by the same baptism and enjoyed with the exhibition of love toward all.

2018/2/21 19:16Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Marvin,

David Wilkerson’s sermon is a wake-up call. The message is crystal clear. It needs no defence. It stands resolutely on its own. It is up to you (and anyone else) to accept it or reject it.

----------

Just a few comments on what you wrote:

(1)

You said: “I want a Christ-filled Pentecost.”

Is Christ for Pentecost or Pentecost for Christ?

John 16:14 -- He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

(2)

The issue here is not whether gifts are still being given or are needed BUT that gifts have been exalted above Christ.

(3)

1 Cor. 2:2 -- For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

“Deep theology”???

(4)

True Riches:

Eph. 3:8 -- To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ,

Col. 1:19 -- For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,

Col. 2:9-10 -- For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete……

Col. 1:26-27 -- that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Phil. 3:8 -- More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

2 Thess. 2:13-14 -- But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth. It was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:11-12 -- …… God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

2018/2/22 8:20Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Jade: my post was not a rebuttal to Pastor Wilkerson's sermon, just my own thoughts spurred by the thread.

Pentecost is the gift of the Holy Ghost, namely our gift from God, so whether I view it as a gift for God's glory I'm right, whether I view it as the necessary part of what it means to be a Christian I am right, either way you emphasize Pentecost it is God's gift.

My whole post was geared towards receiving what God wants to give to his people, I don't have to make a choice whether I have Christ or I have deep theology or I have true riches. Because I determined to receive from Jesus what he purchased for me, I want what God deemed necessary in order for me to glorify him and enjoy him now and forever.

As to deep theology...as soon as you go beyond looking at the world and begin to look at Christ you step into deep theology, the biblical truth behind learning theology is not something esoteric, its the norm of Christian life.

Think for a moment...1 Cor. 2:2 -- For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

Is Paul looking for a doctrinal statement from the Corinthians? I'd say no, he's looking for the word made flesh and crucified in the Corinthians...and if we are going to seek what Paul approved, "Christ crucified" in our own lives, theology by necessity will find its way into our minds and demonstrated by our lives.

I don't have a childish sand-box Jesus that has me playing with Christianity-toys, I have a Jesus that equips me for what he has called me to do and that takes more than a subscription to a few spoon feedings of bible.

Some folks sacrifice Jesus for what Jesus can give them and Pastor Wilkerson hit upon that, but that's not me and that is not in any of my postings.

2018/2/22 19:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy