SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Central Purpose of the Local Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

The Central Purpose of the Local Church

"Let's consider the central purpose of the local church. It might surprise you to know that the supreme objective of the local church is fellowship. Most people would not even think of this. Yet I have come to see that the New Testament makes it primary. Fellowship is the sole universal purpose of the local church - not to preach the gospel, build churches or hospitals, or send out missionaries. All those are secondary. They are the results of true fellowship. If we do not have the fellowship, we will never have the results God intended."

(From "Rediscovering God's Church" - by Derek Prince - copyright 2006. Ch 12 - "The Local Church" - pg 161).

Comments? What say ye?

2018/1/25 13:34Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: The Central Purpose of the Local Church

Derek Prince is an excellent preacher...

but why he would say this "Fellowship is the sole universal purpose of the local church"

Sole, as in singular purpose of the Church...my bible tends to broaden the purposes of the Church.

Just wondering why the sole purpose was not mentioned in something like this text.

Eph4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

If pastor-equipper has missed it and should become pastor-fellowship...this opens a can of worms for me.

Derek Prince is too astute a bible teacher to funnel the sole of God's purpose for the Church as fellowship...
I think this stand alone quote generates debate where if there were more context it might be understood by me a little better.

2018/1/25 20:45Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. (Acts 2:42)

2018/1/26 13:50Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Please watch the teaching that
Derek Prince did on Fellowship.
Excellent teaching!

https://youtu.be/s_oLNNEX1Pg

2018/1/27 8:09Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: The Central Purpose of the Local Church

Quote:
by docs
"Let's consider the central purpose of the local church. It might surprise you to know that the supreme objective of the local church is fellowship. Most people would not even think of this. Yet I have come to see that the New Testament makes it primary. Fellowship is the sole universal purpose of the local church - not to preach the gospel, build churches or hospitals, or send out missionaries. All those are secondary. They are the results of true fellowship. If we do not have the fellowship, we will never have the results God intended."

I may not have agreed wholeheartedly with this quote a few years ago but I do now. I didn't go to church for 10 years (except for visiting). I sequestered myself away from any type of "fellowship" with the local church.

But since the Lord spoke to me over a year ago about my not participating, I have returned. Begrudgingly at first :) but I returned and now I see that every.single.person has something to throw into the mix of a local church to help us all mature in Christ.

I quoted this quote somewhere else and someone disagreed with it but I think the disagreement was because of our view of the word. I think we let the "fellowship hall" where we eat, drink and laugh get in the way of the true meaning of fellowship. Did Derek describe the word he was referring to?

The dictionary states that it means meaningful communication for building trust, a community of interest or experience or a company of friends or equals, and we can probably add in "in the Holy Spirit"!!!

I am glad the Lord called me out about getting back into church.

God bless,
Lisa

2018/1/27 12:50Profile
roadsign

Re:

Well I did enjoy cake and coffee after church today - could have left out the service.

On a more serious note: I've listened to a few of D. Prince's online messages and found that he wasn't always fine-tuned in his theological interpretations and explanations.
So, as for me, I wouldn't run too far with this opening quote. Even D. Prince would perhaps have wished to qualify this a bit better. And maybe he does just that in other messages or writings.

And that word, "fellowship" - in itself, it could use some rigorous word study and exegesis - before making any grand application.

2018/1/28 12:19Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I agree with you Dianne!

We can’t just take that one quote from Derek Prince and run with it, but we must take it in the context of the message that Derek Prince was sharing. Much of this message was taken from 1 John 1. Where not only is fellowship among believers taught on, but fellowship with God, and fellowship within the God Head.

2018/1/28 16:34Profile
docs

Re: Called into Fellowship

"God is faithful by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." (I Cor 1:9)

You will recall that the church is a group of people who are called out. This is the "negative" aspect of our being called: We are called out of the world. What, then, are we called into. Once the church is "l4ed together into the name of Jesus, what do they do? The answer is that they share Jesus Christ together. Paul put it in this way: "You were called into the fellowship of [God's] Son, Jesus Christ our Lord" - fellowship being the end purpose.

The word for "fellowship" in Greek is another distinctive New Testament word for ecclesia. It, also, is taken from secular language but given a special application. The word comes from a root word that means "to have things in common' or "to share things together." It could be translated, "the sharing together of Christ." This is the supreme purpose and objective of the local church.

Let's look at a similar statement made by the apostle John:

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life; the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us; that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you may also have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ." (I John 1:1-3)

This Scripture tells us why we were given the New Testament record of Jesus. John, one of the writers of the New Testament and a close witness of Jesus' life and ministry, said, "We're telling you what we saw and heard; we didn't just have it in theory. We touched Him. We saw Him in action - the Lord Jesus Christ, the Word of Life. He was made manifest; He was made flesh and dwelt among us. We saw, heard, and observed everything, and we declare it unto you firsthand."

And why was this account written? Why, indeed, was the New Testament record given? "That which we have seen and heard declare we to you, that you also may have fellowship with us" (verse 3). It was given to bring us into the fellowship of the apostles! What is that fellowship? The second half of the verse says, "And truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ."

The purpose of the writing of the New Testament was to bring those who hear and believe the Word into the fellowship of the Godhead; a fellowship between the Father, the Son, and all who believe, through the Spirit!

Let us look at two more related Scriptures:

"Having many things to write to you, I did not wish to do so with paper and ink; but I hope to come to you and speak face to face, that our joy may be full." (II John 12)

"And these things we write to you that your joy may be full." (I John 1:4)

What brings fullness of joy more than face-to-face- fellowship? Fellowship is meeting one another, meeting God and meeting Jesus Christ. This is the purpose for which God has called us out of the world and into the church.

(Takren from "Rediscovering God's Church' - by Derek Prince - copyright 2006. Ch 12 - "The Local Church" - pg 161-164)

2018/1/28 20:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy