SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : How does God speak to us?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

How does God speak to us?

I recently was listening to a pastor and heard him say, if you want to hear God speak to you, read his word, if you want to hear God speak to you audibly, read it out loud. His message was on people that go around saying that God told me this and God told me that, or God placed this in my spirit. This Pastor said that God places messages in our conscience, I always thought he speaks to us through our spirit or circumstances, are we splitting hairs here with conscience and spirit? Are they really somewhat the same as for as receiving God's messages to us?
Thanks Bill

2018/1/10 10:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: How does God speak to us?

My wife has vivid impressions of God speaking to her very specifically. She says it generally occurs during her devotional time and she describes a “download” into her mind. When she heeds, great things happen. This happens on rare occasions and definitely not an every day thing.

This has never happened to me; I wish that it did but that is not how God chooses to speak to me. He has spoken to me twice in dreams where I had no doubt it was from the Lord. These were not instructions but rather revelation of Himself to me.

Of course I do believe that God speaks through scripture but there are other ways. See Acts 13:2.

2018/1/10 11:01Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Todd... He has spoken to me twice in dreams where I had no doubt it was from the Lord. These were not instructions but rather revelation of Himself to me.

Todd, I've had this happen, but really just thought nothing of it, because I figured it was just a dream about God, maybe I should have thought more of it. I think most folks that don't understand dreams, seem to think they're no really valid dreams, not only that, I've had a lot of dreams I can't even remember. I'm 66, so I guess I qualify for being an old man as related to this scripture in Acts: "In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams".

2018/1/10 12:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I hear you Bill. The two dreams I mentioned were so vivid and they affected me so deeply emotionally as it pertained to my love for Jesus that I know they were more than a normal dream. In both dreams I remember being filled with unutterable joy to the point where it took my breath away and I was trembling and could not speak (in my dream).

In the one dream I remember this beautiful worship being sung and there happened to be sheet music there and I remember saying that the words were so beautiful that I could not comprehend them. The only word I could read on the sheet music was “Eden.” When I told this dream to some brothers I prayed with, one of them reminded me that a meaning of Eden is “delight.” That was exactly the overall feeling of the dream- that God was delighted with me and others in the dream(who happened to be the guys I prayed with).

2018/1/10 14:24Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Wow! Todd, that was an awesome dream. I edited out what I had wrote here, because after much thought, I didn’t feel like was relevant to the thread I started.

2018/1/10 14:52Profile
roadsign

Re:

Mr. Bill, here’s how I unpack the issue:

Quote:
if you want to hear God speak to you, read his word, if you want to hear God speak to you audibly, read it out loud.

What if this advice was applied to the statement itself? Is this what scripture says? Not! So it is a self-defeating statement which God didn’t speak. It seems like a reactionary impulse, by your words:
Quote:
His message was on people that go around saying that God told me this and God told me that, or God placed this in my spirit.

It’s not the best idea to center a message on the perceived flaws of others.

Quote:
This Pastor said that God places messages in our conscience, I always thought he speaks to us through our spirit or circumstances, are we splitting hairs here with conscience and spirit?

I agree with you: We’re splitting hairs. Our scientifically shaped mindset likes to break things into anatomical segments. Biblical thinkers didn’t do that. The habit can get us off track.

My concern would be how the pastor may have indiscriminately tossed out a false proposition on the back of a criticism. If this is a habit in your church culture, you will see a fair bit of judging, pride – or other effects of spiritual immaturity.

When we focus on what’s wrong (in others) we deprive ourselves of the energy and time needed to forge what’s right, good and effective in our personal lives.

Mr. Bill, I’m blessed by how you are using your experience to nudge the “Body” here towards spiritual maturity. You’re making us think - with you.

Bless you, Mr. Bill!
Diane

2018/1/10 15:12Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

He speaks to us directly and indirectly.

He could speak audibly,( Ive never experienced that)
By the Spirit of God.
By the word of God.
By prophecy, counsel, exhortations, word of knowledge/wisdom
By angelic voice.
By Judgments and chastening from God.

More indirectly; circumstances, books we read, a combination of effects= friends or pastor or even this discussion board.

When we focus on one avenue alone it gets pretty quiet out there. When we are sensitive to the things of God, even providentially, we begin to recognize God speaking in many ways.

I didn't hear the pastor's sermon, but hearing from God has never been confined strictly to reading scripture.
That being said EVERYTHING heard is to be scrutinized according to the scripture.

2018/1/10 15:16Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Diane: Excellent discerning in your post. Well said.

2018/1/10 15:18Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Marvin, I'm not trying to trouble you, but could you please list scripture that backs these 4 up.
Thanks Bill

He speaks to us directly and indirectly.

1.He could speak audibly,( Ive never experienced that)
2.By the Spirit of God.
3.By prophecy, counsel, exhortations, word of knowledge/wisdom
4.By angelic voice.

I agree Diane. Thank you so much for your thoughts, and this is so true below, but seems to be happening more everyday.

"It’s not the best idea to center a message on the perceived flaws of others".

2018/1/10 15:37Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: texts

Hi Brother bill

Audibly...

3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

(Paul heard the voice and so did the other men.)

The context is Paul's conversion, which all started from seeing the light and hearing the voice of God audibly.
Maybe a more notable occasion was the mount of Transfiguration.
Matt 17 4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.

5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.

7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid

Jesus and the other 3 heard the voice of God audibly.

And without getting technical at all... anytime Jesus spoke you were hearing the voice of God through the man Christ Jesus.

The Spirit of God

This voice is generally internal to the person.

1 jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
The anointing here synonymous with the Holy Spirit.
and again,

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Spirit teaching us is not merely a mental piecing-together of various bible texts to give some kind of coherency to scripture. The Spirit's teaching is revelation, power and enlightenment.

Branching out from this, the Spirit of God speaking to us uses the agency of the body of Christ.
This is where the Spirit of God manifests through us to others via verbalized words from God. They may come in the forms listed above.
The whole context of 1 cor 12-13-14 validates the ministry of speaking by the Spirit of God to one another.
( I will not quote the whole of that text here)

Angelic voice.

Acts 8:26

And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert

Acts 10:7

And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants, and a devout soldier of them that waited on him continually

I think this should be sufficient to disclose the various ways God speak to his people.

The common, normative way God speaks
Through internal revelations given by the Spirit of God Through reading the scriptures.
Through Preaching/teaching/exhorting/sharing our faith.
Through devotion and worship of the Lord
Through prayers, intercessions and ministering unto the Lord.

Now in Acts (whole chapter)
Where at least 4 different apostles spoke and gave counsel to one another, testimony and scripture principle so as to put to rest the issue of circumcision and the law.
There are many old testament texts but here is one that stands out for all of us here.
Romans 15:14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.
(admonish here is build up, counsel or edify)

The Romans text is meaningless if it is not ascribed to a working of the Spirit of God, because Paul's boldness is toward them for spiritual growth and maturity. Romans 15:5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

These and many other texts can be given toward encouraging one another in expecting the Spirit of God to speak in a variety of ways so that we may grow up into him in all things.

2018/1/10 19:44Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy