SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Sin

The first mention of sin in the Bible is in connection with what Cain did.

God said to Cain:

Gen. 4:7 – “And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."

This is what Cain did:

Gen. 4:2-3 - Cain was a tiller of the ground. So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground.

Question:

What is bad about what Cain did?

2018/1/9 1:50Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Sin

Hi Jade,

It may be the first time the word sin is used but not the first time sin was committed.

As we know, it goes back to the sin of Adam and Eve, transgression of God's command, inspired by the spirit of Pride and Rebellion from satan.

Cain did wrong by not doing what was right.
We can conclude, reading between the lines, as it were, that both Abel and Cain knew what God required but only Abel's heart was right and only he brought an offering acceptable to God.

Blessings,

2018/1/9 2:40Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi William,

Agree. It was through Adam that “sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned” (Rom. 5:12).

Adam’s sin that brought sin into the world and death through sin to all men was this:

He ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Gen. 2:16-17 - The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

Rom. 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death…

I am thinking that the fountainhead of all sin is the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and out of this flow every other deed of sin. And the first deed of sin to flow out from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is to give to God what God cannot accept, illustrated by Cain’s offering.

I am also thinking that Cain wanted to be accepted by God but his way was wrong.

Prov. 16:25 - There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.

What do you say?

Blessings

2018/1/9 7:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

"I did it my way" is the ultimate statement and description of sin.

2018/1/9 7:57Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Hi Jade,

Everything you wrote makes complete sense.

Eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil always makes me think of the first sinner, the devil, who wanted to exalt himself to be god.
It is the same spirit who inspires fortune telling etc. where we want to know the future. We want to be like God.

Instead of loving Him, glorifying Him, trusting Him and obeying Him we want to be Him.

This is the root of sin

2018/1/9 8:29Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Agreed Todd,

I I I. I am the captain of my own ship, the master of my own destiny etc.

2018/1/9 8:30Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Sister Jade asked;
“This is what Cain did:

Gen. 4:2-3 - Cain was a tiller of the ground. So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground.

Question:

What is bad about what Cain did?”

Sweet sister your question (in my understanding) illustrates the “first fruits” of sin, and as such is a very important topic to consider and dig into for it is the pattern of all that seeks to serve God but in an unacceptable way.

After an extended time of prayerful consideration some time ago it became quite clear what the reason is for God rejecting Cain’s offerings.
Cain offered the “fruits” of his own works...
whereas Able took what the Lord had provided and offered from that portion.
This (for me) illustrates quite well the Atonement, where God Himself provided the offering in Jesus- whereas the Pharisees (like Cain) offered the fruits of their religious works. When looked at through the lens of righteousness as a requirement; one is offering what God has provided (His righteousness) while the other is offering the work of their own hand (self-righteousness).

This seems, to me, to be one of the major patterns addressed throughout the whole of scripture and especially in Paul’s epistles.
At the end of the day, the only acceptable things we have to offer God is what He has given us but all too often we offer what “we have done” which is really just self-righteousness or pride...

Hope that helps you in your studies:)

2018/1/9 10:12Profile
havok20x

Re:

BranchVINE,

The book of Hebrews actually clarifies this for us:

Hebrews 11:4--By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.

Now Cain lacked faith, and his offering was rejected. Now jealousy, envy, and murder were crouching at the door, waiting to spring upon him if he wasn't ready. And sure enough, it did.

I don't think it is right to say that just because it was the fruit of the ground that it was unacceptable. After all, these types of offerings were acceptable in the OT Law. The issue was faith, of which, unlike his brother Abel, he had none.

2018/1/9 11:09Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

The only thing I can add is, most pastors today, do not preach enough on sin, that's probably why most folks don't understand a lot about sin.

2018/1/9 13:05Profile
dohzman

Gen 3 :17. Gen 5:29. I wonder if maybe offering God something from the ground that was cursed, the 2nd ref being toil denoting works?

What do you guys think??

I have pondered this off and on over the years and it is clear from scripture that they both had a relationship with God or at least some degree of conversation I would imagine on a regular basis.

2018/1/9 14:55Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy