Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Book Review: The Insanity of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
havok20x

Book Review: The Insanity of God

I have just finished reading the book "The Insanity of God". Many of you have already seen the movie (I have not yet seen that, since I just now got the capability of playing DVDs...lol), but I wanted to write a short review. There will be no spoilers in this review, so read on!

The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken

Score: 95/100

Overall:

Let me put it to you this way: I read John Piper's 192 page "Don't Waste Your Life" in about 6 weeks. I read "The Insanity of God", which was 323 pages in just over 24 hours (If you took the 8 hours I slept out, I read it in 19 hours). I simply could not put it down. This book is about the persecuted church. I EXPECTED a sales pitch. I expected the book to end with--"Support the persecuted church by donating to such and such organization", but that never happened. Nik Ripken simply tells it like it is and leaves the Holy Spirit to make the conclusions in your heart. I was thankful for that, because the open-ended conclusion of the book really allowed me to think. I laughed, I prayed, I wept (as you will here later), and I walked away with more understanding of persecution, more appreciation for the glory of God, and more understanding about where I was in my walk with the Lord than before.

The Negative:

The only reason it didn't get 100/100 was because Nik Ripken isn't Jesus. The bible gets 100/100. This one is pretty close lol. I had some things I didn't quite agree with, but absolutely nothing even worth discussing. Mostly things like "Why didn't you..." or "I would have...differently". No glaring theological errors for sure.

The Positive:

I don't cry hardly ever. I might tear up and a couple roll down my face if something is really, really gripping but that is exceptionally rare. (That's not a pride thing. If I start crying, I never can hold it in. So I am not being macho). That being said, I wept reading this--sobbing out loud. That's only happened to me one other time in my life. But it didn't happen once while reading this. It happened 3 times. I just had to stop reading and bawl. (Interesting enough, the last time I started to weep, I felt the Holy Spirit prompt me to stop having a pity party and rejoice in what God was doing through these brothers and sisters). The testimonies of these brothers and sisters was incredible. The things they went through, the glory of God that they saw, the explanation of their conversions. It was all amazing. And it smacked me in the face regarding our pitiful version of Christianity here in the USA and in my own life (that was the pity party).

Another very positive thing that I read was that it showed the REAL persecuted church--not the theoretical one that we all know is out there--but the real, true blue, persecuted believers. It's one thing to hear about persecution, it is another thing to hear stories about persecuted individuals, but it is a completely different animal to hear it straight from those brothers and sisters. Wow! Definitely life-changing.

The raw honestly in the first half of the book regarding the mission to Somaliland was incredible. Sympathetically, I was frustrated for Nik during the first half of the book. I can't imagine the sacrifices that were discussed. The hurt, the pain, the despair so many were feeling at that time. I wanted so badly for that big miracle to show up and everything become ok. But that didn't happen, and I left the first half of the book as distraught about the circumstances as Nik was. BUT, the 2nd half was glorious, answered loads of questions, leaving all the right questions open for the Holy Spirit to deal with me on.

This book is not theological per se (it of course operates under good theology), but it does pose a challenge to our current mode of thinking in the American Culture. We are simply not ready for persecution. We don't really know what that is like. We also have no means to prepare us for what will come in the future. It will be a trial by fire for many of us. My mind also harkened back to multiple conversations I've had with brothers regarding this. I particularly remembered a time when I discussed persecution with a brother--he concluded that God would not allow his wife and children to suffer if God was a good Father. This book clearly flies in the face of that idea. It also flies in the face of my own life--why am I not persecuted. If the Bible says, "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution", then why am I not persecuted. I could come to only 1 conclusion: Because I am not serious about explicitly sharing the Gospel.

The question you ask yourself after reading this book is this: Is following Jesus worth it? Is it worth losing everything? And that is the purpose of this book. It forces us to look at ourselves in the mirror and say, "What am I doing with my life?" That's great, because we need a good shake-up on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone!

2018/1/1 17:01Profile
savannah

Re: Book Review: The Insanity of God

I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie (documentary).

I'd give it the Dove soap 99.99999% pure.

Thanks for your review.

I'd encourage every believer to see the documentary.

Too bad churches won't promote it and show it in their churches to the congregation. But they'll promote much of the other junk that is out there which I won't even mention, because it's gotten too much advertising already.

This goes well with the other thread where Blaine posted that excellent YouTube clip by Francis Chan on the persecuted churches he visited.

Thanks again

2018/1/1 17:52Profile
bearmaster

Re:

Brothers thank you for posting this excellent review of the Insanity of God. That book is followed by another one called the Insanity of Obedience. I am familiar with the ninistry of Nik Ripken. I confess I have not read the books given my prayer ministry to the persecuted. But I did see the documentary. Very excellent!!! Thus I will make it my goal this year to read both books.

I do agree there are those which hold to a theoretical idea of the persecuted church. But those of us who are involved in persecution ministries know that the persecuted church is anything but theoretical. I have had people from the persecuted church on my prayer call. I am associated with a grass roots persecution ministry. So the persecuted church is anything but theoretical. It is real.

If anything the blood stains from First Baptist Church in Southerlanf, Texas should be a reminder that the blood of the martyrs is real. Yet that tragedy has already faded into our memories.

Richard Wurmbrand has said that it was never considered a first century service unless the martyrs are remembered. We need to start remembering the martyrs in our churches. We need to sit at their feet and learn how they endured persecution and suffering. For surely our time has come.

The reason the persecuted church is a theoretical concept to us is that we are in the Disneyland of America. John Piper has said that we have to break free up that Disneyland if we are to live crucified Christ honoring lies as unto Him. We have to break free of the American Disneyland if we are to demonstrate the cross and the glories of the cross by the Lord Jesus Christ to the Lost. We have to break free of the American Disneyland if we are to live crucified lives that show our treasure is in heaven and not on this earth.

And no. It is not a shame to weep for the persecuted church. The day I lose my capacity to weeo for those in the shadow of the cross is the day that I stop leading Persecution Watch.

Blaine

2018/1/1 18:52Profile
savannah

Re: Book Review: The Insanity of God

Here's a thread on this from back in March of last year.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=59107&forum=48

2018/1/2 4:28Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy