SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is Paul saying in Romans 8:1-14?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
If we determine to give God ALL of ourselves each day to His Lordship, and summitting to the Holy Spirit's control in our daily life, Day by day, year ny year, He would increase and we would decrease. Resulting in a Holy life, not giving easily to sin, because of His Presence is so much a reality, living from Christ! This is what I'm saying, my friends. Not sinless perfection, yes, we still carry this flesh around, BUT we are to conquer and overcome the flesh making it the slave to Christ, if we are to then overcome the evil one.

Now that, I can agree with. Paul said that sin shall not have dominion over you. Our sin nature will not dominate our lives. Godliness comes for being born again and living in close fellowship with Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Word.

Thanks Josh,

Lahry

2005/7/7 7:25
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Hi Lahry,

Quote:
Our sin nature will not dominate our lives.

What do you mean by "our sin nature"?

2005/7/25 6:38Profile
Moriah

Re: What is Paul saying in Romans 8:1-14?

Quote:
Rom 8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

When we are born, we are spiritually dead and are soulish. Our souls rule our physical bodies. When we become born again, we become spiritually alive(to Christ)(There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus).

Quote:
:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Our souls then need to be the servant to our spirits to rule our flesh in a Godly manner. The soul is what we battle everyday, who will rule? Our soulish passion for the flesh(to walk after it) or our spirit to life in Christ which has made me free from the law of sin and death.

Quote:
Rom 8:12-14 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

In Greek debtors means - opheiletes {of-i-let'-ace}:
1) one who owes another, a debtor
a) one held by some obligation, bound by some duty
b) one who has not yet made amends to whom he has injured:
1) one who owes God penalty or whom God can demand punishment as something due, i.e. a sinner

So it plainly says that we owe the flesh nothing.

Quote:
:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:

If you sow to the flesh, you reap coruption.
Quote:
but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

This is self exlainatory, You put to death.

Quote:
I have a conflict at church right now over these scriptures along with Romans 7:21-25.

your first mistake is that you are cutting Paul off in the middle of a thought in away that you only let him explian the last part of his entire thought.
I hope that made sence :-?
You must start from vers 1 to get the whole context of the scripture, where Paul is talking about when he was unsaved and his fleshly passions ruled him.
Here are the verses that I think shows that he was still unsaved.
Quote:
Romans 7:8-14 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

And I think Chapter 8 explains the whole Chapter 7

2005/7/28 14:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy