Discussion Forum : General Topics : Early Christian Commentary by Elliott Nesch

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Early Christian Commentary by Elliott Nesch

Saints,

I wanted to re-highly and recommend this resource, especially for deeper study of the Sermon of the Mount. it is a carefully chosen commentary of early church writers that were biblical and within the first 200 years of church history. it simply re-enforces the teachings of our Lord strongly and gives a clear view that Jesus meant every word He said.

I wrote this towards it:

"Of many resources we can use to help us in our day, I believe this commentary will be greatly beneficial. It is not new theological ideas we need but to follow Christ and learn how. This volume brother Elliott has compiled will help us in our journey with the Lord.” - Greg Gordon, Founder of SermonIndex.net

You can purchase it here on kindle and paperback:

Early Christian Commentary of the Sermon on the Mount
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763GP5C1/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

This site is a free resource where the quotes were taken from and the commentary itself I believe will be hosted here in the future as well in audio format: http://www.earlychristiancommentary.com/about/

I believe this is a very safe and good resource for those desiring clear biblical belief and looking to early church believers of what they believed of the bible.

2017/11/25 9:01Profile
proudpapa

A Warning

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

"In a famous old hymn of the church, the writer Edward Mote states, “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.”

Bercot speaking about that hymn writes :

"The only passage in Scripture that speaks of building on the rock instead of on the sinking sand is the passage ... from the sermon on the mount. Jesus made it absoulutly clear that the only way we can build on that rock is to do what He preached in that sermon. His grace is trully unchanging, but he extends it only to those who love and obey him.
Yet this popular hymn totally ignores the very words of Jesus and teaches instead that we build on the rock by simply trusting in Jesus grace and righteousness to cover us - regardless of how we live. And guess who most proffessing Christians choose to believe (1) Jesus Himself or (2) this hymn writer and others who preach a Gospel of easy - believism."

Mr Bercot accuses Edward Mote of preaching a "Gospel of easy - believism."

vs

"In a famous old hymn of the church, the writer Edward Mote states, “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.” Indeed, this is peace: To believe God’s promise that by faith in Christ’s shed blood, He considers (reckons) me righteous. He does so even though I am not perfect. And His righteousness is conferred on me not by any good I have done but by faith alone.

The fact is, you can have no settled peace, no true hope, until you no longer waver about your acceptance in Christ. This acceptance is not based on what your flesh accuses you of being, or what the devil accuses you of being. It is based solely on what God sees you to be in Christ." - David Wilkerson

"Your sins are too great for pardon; you have no faith; you do not repent enough; you will never be able to continue to the end; you have not the joy of His children; you have such a wavering hold of Jesus." All these are thoughts about self, and we shall never find comfort or assurance by looking within. But the Holy Spirit turns our eyes entirely away from self: He tells us that we are nothing, but that "Christ is all in all." Remember, therefore, it is not thy hold of Christ that saves thee—it is Christ; it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee—it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, though that be the instrument—it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, look not so much to thy hand with which thou art grasping Christ, as to Christ; look not to thy hope, but to Jesus, the source of thy hope; look not to thy faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of thy faith. We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, or our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul. If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by "looking unto Jesus." Keep thine eye simply on Him; let His death, His sufferings, His merits, His glories, His intercession, be fresh upon thy mind; when thou wakest in the morning look to Him; when thou liest down at night look to Him. Oh! let not thy hopes or fears come between thee and Jesus; follow hard after Him, and He will never fail thee.
"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness:
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name." - CH Spurgeon

2017/11/25 11:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy